“loved our stay here.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Best Western Russell Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Best Western Russell Hotel to your Saves list
The Best Western Russell Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   136 Boxley Road | Penenden Heath, Maidstone ME14 2AE, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Maidstone
London, United Kingdom
“loved our stay here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were super happy with our stay here. I expected something pretty average, but actually I got more than I expected. The room was lovely, with a wonderful view that got the afternoon sun. Lovely big windows.The staff were incredably helpful at all times. The hotel itself I found quite beautiful with a lovely garden. I loved sitting in the dining room looking out at the scenery. We missed breakfast on the last day (a mistake), and they quickly arranged for us to have it anyway. My partner said his beef burger the night before was the best he ever had.
Perhaps we are easily pleased but we both really enjoyed it and will go back again. Go and visit and take a walk along Bluebell hill if you get the chance, and walk along the Medway river. The hotel helped to turn our weekend break into a holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BNelsonBWR, Manager at The Best Western Russell Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments which I have passed on to the team, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at BEST WESTERN RUSSELL Hotel and look forward to welcolming you back in the future.

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in May, having been to a Wedding in the local area. The hotel was easy to find, close o the motorway and with plenty of parking space.

The room was a good size, with a comfy bed and great bathroom. We had lunch before heading out, and the food was high quality, with a lovely garden to sit in.

I'd imagine this hotel is more focused for conferences during the week, and even in the Sunday there was an event being held there. However, it didn't disturb us at all, and we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
BNelsonBWR, General Manager at The Best Western Russell Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for leaving a positive review.

I was thrilled that you found your stay to be an enjoyable one here at The Best Western The Russell Hotel.

Many thanks for your kind words again and hope to welcome you back soon.
Port Macquarie, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Just under a week in May 2013; the hotel seems to have a focus on conferences and meetings rather than the individual guest. The bar is small and, when there are conference people there, might deter the guest who's not part of the event. Food was good (no variation in the menu across the week, but it was pleasant nonetheless with a variety that lasted the 5 nights we were there). Wifi quality depends on the room you have; we were, I suspect, in a room more distant from the installation and performance was patchy - good at times, painfully slow at others. Staff were universally pleasant and helpful, if occasionally in need of training (but how do they learn other than by doing?). Our card key failed during our stay, and was immediately and unquestioningly replaced - but apparently this happens from time to time, and I'm left wondering whether there's any attempt to investigate and fix the problem. We were researching family history in the library/history centre at Springfields, so a 15 minute walk down the hill was quite OK - and the walk back up, which looked daunting on the way down, was quite manageable on the way up.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

I was concerned to read that you might have felt isolated during your stay due to fucnctions taking place. We always try to look after each and every guest equally and I am really sorry that you have had the impression that the conferences deter our valued guests.
As far as the Wi-Fi is concerned, I am happy to inform you that we have a new Wireless system installed now and it provides an excellent service to all our bedrooms.

Thank you once again for your time and hope to welcome you back.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had Two nights at this hotel. Check in was was easy and the room was clean tidy in good order and the bathroom had everything you need. The hotel was very quiet the first night and the service in the resaurant was very good. The food looked great and tasted just as good. The fonant was not wet in the middle but tasted great so I will let them off.
The second night we had booked a table at the same time as coach party and thought we may have to wait for our food. However the service was as good as the night before and the food still looked and tasted great.
Prices in the resaurant and bar were reasonable and as we booked via the best western rewards it worked out a great value weekend.
I would have no problems recommending this hotel for a weekend away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for leaving us a positive feedback. I was delighted to read that you were impressed with the room and also with the food.

Thank you very much again for your kind comments, and I hope to welcome you back to The Best Western The Russell Hotel in the not too distant future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I had a two night stay here in may 2013.
The hotel is average at best. My room was very tired looking, the bed and pillows were uncomfortable and there was lots of dust in the bathroom and on the blinds. The room had no safe facility, no air conditioning but did provide a fan and complimentary water.

The main cause for concern was the paper thin walls. Despite being in room 462, which is situated at the end of the hall I could hear the amplified noise of the gentleman using the toilet in the next room. Not pleasant and far from an ideal way of being woken in the morning.

There were some plosives, the staff were friendly and very accommodating, they swiftly acted and resolved my issue with the wifi. The breakfast was adequate although there was only one egg option.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for us as it helps us to monitor the service that we provide.

With regards to your comment about the bedroom, please rest assure that these were passed on to the relevant department. It is disappointing to learn that you were not happy with the room you were allocated, but I was glad that you found the staff friendly and accommodating.

I was also concerned to learn that you were not informed about the wide range of egg dishes that we offer for breakfast. Please be assure that I have discussed this with my Food and Beverage Manager, as it does appear to have been caused by human error on our part.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western The Russell Hotel soon.
Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Firstly the hotel has all you need for a relaxing stay and great wifi too if you have to work into the evening or update Linked In/Facebook/BBC i player.
The staff were very good too. Nothing ever too much trouble and the food was good value, wholesome and filling.
For some reason I was unable to get a card key that worked, so after a couple of trips back down to reception I was finally given a master key that worked. The problem persisted on my second night, again solved by the master key. Very odd.
Once into my room It was very warm. Turning off the radiator and opening my window, eventually cooled it down ( by 4am ) the insulation there is quality! On my next night, with radiator still off and window open the room was still warm, but more comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Best Western The Russell Hotel. I am happy to read that you found the staff helpful; it is always encouraging to receive positive feedback.

With regards to your comments about the radiator and the keycard, I can assure you that those have been passed on to the relevant departments and been dealt with.

Thank you once again for your comments. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back in the near future.
Maidstone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

From the initial enquiry to breakfast the day after the wedding reception last weekend, the service we have received form the staff has been stupendous. Thank you Sara, Fil , Brian, chef and the rest of the team for making our party so wonderful. This hotel may be 3 stars : but we received nothing but 5 star service!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BNelsonBWR, General Manager at The Best Western Russell Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Liquer1958,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a review and many congratulations again!

It is very much appreciated and I can assure you that the team will be delighted to hear your positive feedback.
I was glad to read that you enjoyed the service that we offer here at the Russell Hotel and that you found these to be a high standard.
Thank you again for your comments and hope to welcome you back for your 1st anniversary.

Been to The Best Western Russell Hotel? Share your experiences!