“Helpful Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Maidstone
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Helpful Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The hotel is comfortable and the staff friendly and efficient. Gym and Pool were both clean and the fitness staff very helpful. One small complaint would be the lack of air conditioning in the bedrooms. It is unusual for a hotel in this price range not to have climate control and room was uncomfortably hot even with window open.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear James,
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay but please accept my apologies for the lack of air conditioning, I am sorry that the fans provided were not enough to cope with the recent heat wave. Nevertheless we do hope you will be back next time you visit Kent, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Hotel General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Managed to book this online with a great value deal.
Stayed here overnight with my wife and two granddaughters on return from a trip to France. Room was superb with 2 double beds and was excellent in every way. As a late arrival we took a snack meal via room service which was also excellent.
Only disappointment was we misread the time for breakfast as up until 11.00 am which was only weekends, so we were too late. This was out fault, however, not the hotels.

Dear Keith,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay in the Hilton Maidstone, I am glad you and your family enjoyed it, your compliments have been passed to our team. I am sorry you missed your breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Maidstone.
Berkshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel on a two night short break and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome, a feeling which continued throughout our stay whether we were eating in the restaurant or drinking in the bar.
In the restaurant the quality of the food and the portion size are both very good, and the service we experienced was very good too. The staff all seemed to work very hard and seemed happy to cover each others jobs, this teamwork made the whole thing run very smoothly.
I would happily stay in this hotel again next time we find ourselves in the Maidstone area.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel and with the windows shut you could just s...
Dear Mike,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay in the Hilton Maidstone, I am really pleased that you enjoyed it, rest assured I have shared you review with the team and they were delighted with that.
Better still that you would be back, we look forward to welcoming you again to the Hilton Maidstone.
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our family of seven enjoyed a wonderful stay at this Hilton. The staff went out of their way to accommodate our every need, especially the two year old who was treated like a little princess. Our ten and thirteen year olds were shown equal attention. it is indeed rare these days in a large chain Hotel. We all felt so welcomed by the very charming staff. Everyone is to be commended on their calm and friendly sevice. Even the maids had a cheery "Good morning"
Many thanks to both management and staff.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are very peaceful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Soo,
Thank you for your review and good feedback. I am really happy to read that your family had a good time staying with us and indeed that the team made a difference. “To fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” was Conrad Hilton mission when he opened his first hotel 100 year ago; it is good to know that our team honour his legacy.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the not so distant future.
Hotel General Manger
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

As a frequent business traveller staying in various hotels by several companies the service received on each occasion at the Hilton Maidstone is fantastic. The Hotel itself is slightly above average in decor etc however the courtesy and helpfulness of the staff more than makes up for this. I had not been at the hotel for a year yet was met with a welcome back and the staff at reception, bar and restaurant could not be more helpful. Good gym excellent location. Certainly look forward to my stays there with extra banter at the bar from Kenny and the staff.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Graham,
On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Hilton Maidstone and indeed for your repeated preference. We look forward to welcoming you back once again.
Hotel General Manger
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Beware of using your bank card to make a reservation. The experience we had may have had something to do with the end of the of the month (30th August) and targets the hotel may be set.

We made a reservation that for a relative who arrived and paid for their accommodation. However, the Hilton Maidstone decided to not only not refund the my card two days beyond my relative checking out (having paid their account their selves in full) but then charged my card again for the reservation and are refusing to refund it. Maybe they will at the start of a new month? And, despite having explained for almost one hour the situation to a 'manager' and putting it clearly in an email their lack of comprehension of English has failed to resolve this. I have spoken to my bank who are unable to communicate with the hotel so be aware and consider alternatives.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Michael,
I am sorry that you are frustrated with your bank preauthorisation handling period, I am aware that our Front Office manager tried to explain to you that this is beyond our power or control, I am sorry if it was not clear. Rest assured that the preauthorisation has never left your account; it has only been reserved in case of incidentals and immediately released by us upon departure. Since your bank is aware of their own procedures I have no explanation of neither why they would need to speak to us, nor why they would not have managed to do so, as we operate 24 hours per day, 7 days per week and our phone lines and e-mail system have been working perfectly.
Further to your comments the lady you spoke to is a Manager indeed and I am sorry if her accent did not meet your expectations however I can assure you that she is a proficient English speaker. I spoke to her about your review and she is very disappointed that despite her every effort and time spent with you over the phone you are still unhappy.
We hope that you will eventually understand that we have not done anything wrong and will give us the pleasure to welcoming you come back to the Hilton Maidstone next time you are in the area.
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

A ‘good’ rating would have perhaps been more appropriate, as there were a few niggles, but this hotel certainly deserved better than just “average”.

I remember when this particular style of hotel was built in several locations around the UK, as Stakis hotels. It was a bold and impressive design then and that still largely works today. It is quite a big hotel, spread over just two floors, surrounded by a well landscaped car park. The main entrance leads into the impressively large lobby area, with the restaurant leading off on one side and the bar area at the back leading into a pleasantly sunny courtyard garden.

There are decent health club facilities, consisting of a gym, swimming pool, sauna, spa and steam room that were never over crowed, even though the hotel was fully booked on the Saturday night. It was in need of a little updating and I noticed that it is due to be shut for two weeks in September (2013) for refurbishment. If you are just visiting to enjoy the hotel and its health club, then you should not be disappointed.

There are a few things to watch out for however…firstly the lobby was air conditioned to an uncomfortably cold level, so take a jumper. There seemed to be a slight shortage of staff and some were quite inexperienced, which could lead to a bit of a wait for food and drinks. It is worth noting that there are no lifts to the first floor, so if this matters to you, be sure to get a ground floor room, as there were no staff obviously available to help us with the ridiculous number of bags that we had taken on our trip…even a ground floor room can be a long walk from reception, so again ask about this if this is important for you.

I cannot comment on the cost of the hotel rooms as I was staying there for ‘free’ on HiltonHonors points, but you do need to watch the cost of all the extras. Bar snacks and drinks were predictably expensive and although there is free wi-fi in the lobby and bar, they wanted to charge £15 for 24 hours if you needed wi-fi in your room. Be aware that if you are a BtOpenzone customer anyway then you can bypass the Hilton login page and still connect for free, so don’t pay unless you really have to.

We had breakfast on one day, which was pretty good and free for the children, so not bad value. We chose not to eat in the restaurant in the evenings and instead went to the nearby Chiltern Hundreds pub, which is a very, very short drive, or can be reached via a footpath from the back of the hotel car park. This pub is a Chef and Brewer and was of a pleasantly high standard on both of our visits.

I think that this hotel still has the ‘wow factor’ for a special occasion, indeed there were weddings on both days while we were there, but do watch the cost of the incidentals.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a ground floor room if needed, as there are no lifts to the first floor. Even the...
Dear Colin,
Thank you for your constructive feedback and review, as well as your rich description of our hotel, I cannot fault it. I am delighted to read that overall there was a “wow factor” to your stay, as this is what our team strive to deliver to every guest. I am glad that you also had time to enjoy our leisure facilities and noticed that it will be upgraded, including a brand new sauna. Regarding service I can assure you that we always plan our staffing levels correctly and if requested someone would have been made available to help you with your luggage, please accept my apologies for any delay in service you experienced.
Further to you comments, it might have been true at the time of your stay that some team members had more enthusiasm than experience, as we are proud of recently having welcomed 10 local young people to their first job, nevertheless I can assure you that they are receiving all the support and training that they need to bring their skills and competences to world class standards as soon as possible.
Rest assured that our room rates and prices are in keeping with the market and quality of service we offer. You are correct that wireless network is free for all in the lobby only but it is also free in the bedrooms for Hilton Honors members.
We hope to be welcoming you back to the Hilton Maidstone next time you visit Kent.
Hotel General Manager

Been to Hilton Maidstone? Share your experiences!