“Excellent value, good choice, attentive service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Excellent value, good choice, attentive service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have just celebrated a family birthday here with a large number of us ranging from babies, toddlers, older children, and adults The tables were nicely decorated and set at the back downstairs. High chairs for the little ones were delivered and prams safely stowed away out of sight with no problem.The waiters were lovely and orders for drinks were quickly taken while everyone arrived and waited for the birthday boy. There was a good choice of food and I tried a Chicken Tikka starter with fried onions, which was delicious. The onion bhajis were freshly cooked and piping hot. There were also a nice selection of salads to add to your plate. On the curry front, I tried the Lamb Bhuna, which was quite hot, but delicious. I also had a Chicken Curry, lovely, and some spinach with potato, chick pea curry and fluffy basmati rice. Others at my table had Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Korma, which they enjoyed. There was also chips, naan bread and some other fried things, like spring rolls and prawn crackers, which I was trying to avoid.
On to desserts, we tried some fried pastry things which were very sugary, but went down well with the children. There were some tasty coconut sweetmeat balls, a bit like coconut ice, but creamier, I think they were made with condensed milk. Really moreish! I tried the mango sorbet which was lovely and refreshing, there was also fresh fruit, like melon on offer.
Champagne had been ordered and it was brought to our table and served very competently. The waiter also asked when the best time would be to bring out the birthday cake and it all went off beautifully. One of the waiters asked us to let him know if there was anything else he could do for us. He really was very attentive and pleasant. When two small plates accidentally got broken by small children knocking them off the table and this was swiftly dealt with, and with assurances that it was no problem.
The whole occassion was very relaxed and enjoyable, a great place for family gathering and excellent value for money.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kent, United Kingdom
“Good all you can eat buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Went for a birthday treat with friends Cheap and cheerful, good selection apart from desert, food was nice, restaurant clean, loos 3/5 generally the place was quite noisy. Go with friends not for couples looking for a romantic night out. Service was rubbish we waited ages for drinks and they got the bill wrong but we would go again for the food. Shuts at 11pm so no late nights here. Parking is diabolical and very expensive at £2.50 an hour

• Visited March 2013
Canterbury
“OK food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived at 8pm and went upstairs for a la carte rather than downstairs for buffet. The restaurant was buzzing on the Saturday evening and immediately my internal warning bells were sounding as I could see plenty of people drinking and not eating. The waiter showed us to our table but no menu was presented. I could see 3 tables of guests with menus waiting to order. They did have poppadoms and drinks on the table. The waiters disappeared. Once one table of guests ordered their food we were given menus and when our drinks eventually arrived I had the presence of mind to state that we were ready to order food and did not want poppadoms. By the time we ordered it was 8.35.

Then more warning bells sounded when a waiter brought one guest a particularly smokey dish and the fire alarm was activated. It went on for several minutes before somebody eventually worked out how to turn it off. All the guests cheered!

Guests were drinking without eating and the atmosphere was quite loud. I calculated that the table next to us received their meal 50 minutes after ordering. This worried me as we were due to collect somebody at 9.30. Mmmmm….. quite right to worry. Our meal arrived at 9.25 precisely – an hour and 25 mins we sat down. The meal was OK - quite greasy and not the warmest I have eaten. There were no warmers so the china serving dishes cooled quickly too. We watched a table of 16 guests get up and leave as they had waited over 2 hours, their food had not arrived, they were hungry and as they had drunk around 3 drinks each they were quite merry too. There was a bit of camaraderie amongst guests at different tables, swapping waiting-time stories. I spotted 3 lots of guests complaining to staff about the wait.

I can’t recommend the restaurant. It has potential but failed miserably. Should you choose to go there then I suggest allowing plenty of time, don’t have poppadoms as this definitely slowed the ordering process and request warmers for the serving dishes.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“at best "OK"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff were very friendly, when you managed to get their attention
The place was relatively clean, for a Saturday night
We opted for the buffet, which on a Saturday night is £14.50ea and i dont think i got value for money.
I would go again but would probably give the buffet a miss
Would recommend to others

France
“Good food, but chaotic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked for a party of 22 people and was advised this would not be a problem - even called in advance to make sure the booking was OK. Arrived and the table only seated 18, so 4 of our group had to sit elsewhere - when I questioned it, I was told "but the tables only seat 18" ! ! ! Our long table of 18 was crammed next to another long table (of about 12) so it was almost impossible to get out and get food (and as this is a buffet service, you have to get out of your chair in order to get the food!).

Our waiter was very unhappy and sullen, although the rest of the waiters seem really cheery and happy - not sure what was wrong with ours and it's a pity, because it gave us a bad impression of the service.

The food was mixed - some was really exquisite with wonderful flavours of spices, whereas some was just overcooked and/or bland.

We were in Maidstone for a special occasion (a wedding the next day) and most of us had travelled a long way (France, Italy, Scotland, Cornwall, etc.). Because of this, it's doubtful any of us will ever visit the Raja again and I think perhaps on a different day, with a different waiter and a smaller group of people, it might be better?

• Visited March 2013