“Good hotel but shame about the pub food” 4 of 5 stars

Premier Inn Milton Keynes South
Bletcham Way | Caldecotte, Milton Keynes MK7 8HP, England   |
Ranked #5 of 34 hotels in Milton Keynes
Thatcham, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but shame about the pub food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights with work recently and it did the job well. Friendly staff, good big clean room and a very good shower (all too often a problem in cheaper hotels). What let it down was the standard of the food in the adjacent pub. Don't get me wrong, it tasted fine, was well cooked and served promptly - it was just plain, dull and smaller than expected. The burgers, for example, came just with chips. No salad, no anything.

As A meal in A hotel it was ok, but I certainly wouldn't go to the pub just for an evening meal.

To counter that, one of the bar staff was excellent, remembering my name and room number on the second night and providing an excellent service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rizwan A, Manager at Premier Inn Milton Keynes South, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you very much for your time in writing such a fantastic review for our Hotel.

We are very pleased to know that your stay with us at Premier Inn was enjoyable and all your needs were met. Our team at Premier Inn always strives for achieving more and going the extra mile to make each and every guests stay relaxed and memorable. It always puts a smile on our faces when we know that our guest has had an exceptional stay with us and our hospitality was recognised.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience in the next-door Pub. Please be assured your feedback will be passed to the Pub Manager, which will help them to understand the areas, which are letting them down.

Once again let me take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely and positive feedback. Hope to see you again soon.

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is excellent value for money, The welcome was warm, the room was more than comfortable with a huge comfortable bed and a great view of the lake from the full height windows and little private balcony area. I don't see how anyone could expect more for this kind of money.

The only thing letting the hotel down is the breakfast. If this was better, then I would have given the hotel an overall rating of excellent rather than just very good.

We queued to be seated in the restaurant for breakfast. When asked, the two groups before us said that they hadn't booked in for breakfast but yet were shown straight to tables. We had booked but yet were told there was no room for us (only two of us) in the breakfast area and that we would have to sit in an area which was far away from the breakfast buffet, cold and drafty. Surely they know how many people they are expecting that have booked and those people should be seated in the correct area first??

Ok, so the actual breakfast - The waiter took our order for our hot food promptly and invited us to help ourselves to toast, coffee, juice, and the continental breakfast selection and then dissapeared off to the kitchen. When we went round to the buffet area there was no bread left for making toast, no plates for toast, no jam, no glasses for juice, and no milk for coffee. There appeared to be only one waitress trying to keep the buffet area stocked up whilst also serving hot food from the kitchen, clearing tables, and taking orders. The poor woman was rushed off her feet and just couldnt cope!

We waited around and eventually managed to get some coffee and some toast on a napkin (still no plates).

After quite a while the waiter who had taken our order appeared with our hot breakfast, the order was all muddled, there were somethings I had ordered on my plate and other things that my husband had ordered, and he had items missing from his plate. The waiter apologised and took the plates away again. When he came back, there was a big greasy patch on my plate where the bacon I didnt order had been slid off, I would have thought they would use a clean plate or at least wiped the greasy mess off with kitchen paper! Presentation was really lacking, eveything had just been dumped on the plates and the scrambled egg was cold and rubbery.

We ate some and then realising we had been at breakfast for over an hour (mostly waiting around) with a busy day ahead, left. Breakfast was a pretty poor experience all round.

We popped back to our room to pick up our luggage then went to check out. Again, the receptionist was lovely and really efficient.

I cannot fault the rooms here or the hotel staff, the value is exceptional. It is so sad that such a great place is so badly let down by the breakfast in the adjoining pub.

We will probably stay here again but find somewhere else for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a balcony - really lovely little addition to your room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rizwan A, Manager at Premier Inn Milton Keynes South, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you very much for your time in writing a feedback for our Hotel.

I am very pleased to know that your Hotel experience was great. Feedback like this about the Hotel service always puts smile at our team’s faces and helps us to deliver more and more so that our guest can come again and again.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience in the Pub next door. The pub next door is not managed by Premier Inn but we all do work as a TEAM so that we can deliver an excellent service to our guest. Please be assured that you feedback will be passed on to the Pub management and hope fully this feedback will help them to understand were they are going wrong and can turn negative into positive.

Once again thank you very much for the feedback and hope to see you again soon.
rotherham south yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on the night of my daughters birthday party, Easy to find, lovely setting, parking no problem, staff on reception friendly and helpful... We stayed in room 18 which has a lovely view of the lake and the Canada geese and swans walking around... the room has tea and coffee making facilities and a hairdryer on the desk... the bed was huge and very comfortable, the bathroom was clean and well stocked with towels.. All in all a very comfortable stay and a bargain at £39 a night .
We did not eat at the hotel as the breakfast was over £8 per person and i dont think any breakfast can justify that amount unless its smoked salmon and caviar !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rizwan A, Manager at Premier Inn Milton Keynes South, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a great experience during your stay with us. At Premier Inn we all go extra mile to deliver exceptional guest service and a great good night sleep. Positive feedback like this always helps to put smile on team’s faces and helps to deliver more.

Please be assured that your feedback will be passed on to both the team in the Hotel and the Pub next door.

Once again let me take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and recommendation.

Hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed overnight,the setting for this hotel is excellent surrounded by lakes and lovely walks.Facilities are what you expect from Premier,clean and functional.Receptionist was good.Ate in the restaurant next door after reviews on tripadvisor was apprehensive,pleasantly surprised,nice table overlooking lake set in an old windmill,staff were very accommodating food was plentiful and good value.Breakfast was buffet style and good choice ,hot food was good,service extremely good.Would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rizwan A, Manager at Premier Inn Milton Keynes South, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Please be assured that the feedback will be passed on to both the teams in the Hotel and Pub next door.

Chennai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Hi
i was at this pub just outside the hotel and i like this place because it was very scenic(Lake view) and it had a kid menu which could attend to the needs of my kid.
The food was good and so was the service.
I wish they had places like this in INDIA,where i could chill out with my family.
A good TIME Spent.......

Room Tip: A chill out place................
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rizwan A, Manager at Premier Inn Milton Keynes South, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable time in writing such a positive review for our Hotel.

I am glad to know that you found our Hotel and the Pub next door exceeding your expectation during your stay with us. At Premier Inn we all maintain high guest standards and always strives to offer an exceptional guest service. Your valuable feedback will be passed on to both the teams in Hotel and the Pub next door.

Thank you once again for your positive review and for your recommendation.

Hope to see you soon again.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Premier Inn Milton Keynes South (Caldecotte Lake) branch and I want to say that this is the nicest Premier Inn of all the ones I have stayed in

The staff are SO incredibly friendly and caring and also it is a very beutiful area (especially the views of the lake)

I would like to pay a special thanks to Grace and Rizwan on the front desk

Grace helped me on ane previous occasion. I had just come back from working overseas and had not slept for over 24 hours and when I arrived they were fully booked

She looked up other premier inns but they were all occupied for miles around so she spent 25 to 30 minutes of her time phoning around for another hotel for me and finally got me what was probably the last room in Milton Keynes. I will never forget that kindness. She was also similarly helpful throughout my recent stay

Another great character I would like to mention is Rizwan the manager who always seems to be at the front desk helping customers and has a great sense of humour

I should also mention that all the other staff are very likeable and friendly as well

All in all, one of the best hotels ever

Grace, Rizwan and all the others at Premier Inn Milton Keynes South (Caldecotte Lake) - Thank you SO, SO much for making my stay there so nice

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you found us extra ordinary and more than your expectation. At Premier Inn we all work very hard to deliver exceptional guest service and feedback like this always puts smile on our team faces and helps us to deliver more and go extra mile.

It is just great to see and show the team that their hard work are valued by review like this. This will not only boost the team to do more but will help the other team members to go extra mile. Please be assured that your feedback will be passed on to both the teams in Hotel and Pub next door. Thank you for choosing Premier Inn.

Let me take this opportunity once again to thank you for your time and for the positive feedback and recommendation. Hope to see you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here in April 2012, two rooms for us and our adult daughter. From memory we paid around 70 pounds per night direct through Premier Inns website, which included a buffet breakfast. Rooms were only basic, no frills, but brilliant value. Tea/coffee making facilities were provided, and basic toiletries.

Check in was quick and friendly, information was freely offered. Each time we walked by the reception area, we were cheerfully greeted by the staff. No elevator / lift so you need to lug your cases up the stairs, but the stairs were quite wide and no obstacles. Plenty of free parking outside.

Both sides of the hotel overlooked the lake, although we also had a view of a maintenance shed and the car park - only an issue if you wanted to stand at the window looking out (which in itself was a challenge for us due to our height and the attic-like sloping ceiling). It was very quiet and dark at night; beds were comfy and linen was perfectly good. The rooms and the bathrooms were very spacious.

We had been travelling all day, so just wanted to relax in the evening. The adjoining family restaurant had plenty of tables, we could sit comfortably and enjoy a drink, then we had dinner when we were ready. Good, cheap food, plentiful and well cooked. Nothing fancy but really good. Breakfast was served here as well, with cereal, porridge, toast, cooked breakfast, juice and decent coffee.

A downside - the gardens / lake area were over-run with ducks and geese, and you couldn't really walk without walking in what ducks and geese leave on the ground :-). It was a shame, because the garden area was so pleasant.

Definitely will stay in Premier Inns again if this is any indication of the standard. Absolutely recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms on the car-park side are a bit darker in the morning - other side gets the full sun and was ra...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a great experience during your stay with us. At Premier Inn we all go extra mile to deliver exceptional guest service and a great good night sleep. It all about value for money and that’s what we live and breathe. Positive feedback like this always helps to put smile on team’s faces and helps to deliver more.

Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Premier Inn Milton Keynes South? Share your experiences!