“Dissapointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Cock Hotel

You added The Cock Hotel to your Saves list
The Cock Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   72-74 High Street | Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes MK11 1AH, England   |
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a previous family wedding and was very happy with the whole package. Just over a year later we returned for another family wedding. Bearing in mind that the hotel had been modernised and redecorated in between, I was very disappointed with our stay this time.
Our bedroom smelled of sewerage as soon as we walked in. I told the receptionist about it and when we returned later, the smell had gone but the extractor fan was left permanently on and air freshener had been liberally spayed around.
The wedding meal was nice and the room looked lovely. After we were all led to the bar area while the room was prepared for the evening. On returning we found the tables had just been moved around a bit and when the evening guests arrived and everyone sat down, there was no room to get from one end of the room to the other. So you had to endure people pushing past to get to the dance floor. I think there were just too many people for the size of the room.
We had a good nights sleep even with the extractor fan on all the time to keep away the pong. The shower was cold and only after my husband got in it after me, did it begin to get a bit warm!
I think the hotel was totally booked with our family and when we all arrived for breakfast in the morning it was total chaos. The poor staff did all they could to cope, but there wasn't enough places for everyone to sit and a lot of people ended up sitting in the bar area, where they were forgotten about. It took us over an hour and a half to get through breakfast and we never did get any toast. The staff deserved a medal for all their hard work.
Overall the cost of the room even with the 'special discount' for a wedding party, which wasn't so special, was not worth over £80.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding The Saracens Head Hotel. Daniel & the team do apologise that your meals did not meeting our normal high standard. We can assure you we have taken action from your comments to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Thank you for taking the time to contact us

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Milton Keynes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

As a family we went to this hotel for a birthday celebration. It was a very poor evening. The food was very slow to arrive and when the main course did there was a lapse of 25 minutes between the first meal and the last. The steak meals were tough and inedible with peas like bullets. The fish and chips had a novel variety of mushy peas which came in two layers;the top being clear and watery,the bottom congealed. The rest of the fish meal was very hot,microwave hot! A salad swimming in oil . The evening was rounded off nicely by the waitress telling the table behind us that their meal was late because we had complained. She didn't relate the manager's comments that they were short in the kitchen and "anyway" we have a wedding to cater for!!!!
This was a very unpleasant evening. My advice is have a beer but forget the food.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our restaurant. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your evening meal.

I have addressed your issues with our chefs and restaurant staff and will endeavour to make sure that no other functions impede on the service in our restaurant.

I do hope that you will visit again where we can demonstrate our more usual high standard of guest service.
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had phoned to book a table for four of us for 7.30 pm but could only have 6.30 or 8.30 so opted for the earlier time. Because of this I expected that they would want us served and out of the restaurant to get in another sitting. However, this was not the case and we had our table till 10 pm, at no time feeling rushed or pressured. The food was hot, ample and well presented. The waiting staff good humoured and attentive apart from about 5mins when they all disappeared just as we wanted to pay our bill. One word of warning, if they still have the deep fried black pudding starter on, it's huge; pick a light main course!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Cock Hotel. We are glad to read that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that you found our staff to be friendly and hospitable, this is something we pride ourselves upon. I do hope to see you again in the near future when you can once again enjoy our wonderful hotel.
droitwich spa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Our party of 3 couples booked 2 nights (Fri & Sat) here recently as it was handy to reach Bletchley Park, our primary reason for visiting the area. Found the staff very friendly, helpful & very hard working! The hotel is a busy place filled with guests, locals & private parties were also catered for. We ate there both nights - food was reasonably good with a wide selection of choice on offer. Rooms were small (compact) but very clean, well equipped & we found the bed extremely comfortable. Looking around the local area this was the best place to stay if you wanted to have an evening drink without driving. The cost included breakfast & was reasonable & appropriate for the accommodation.
There are a few things which could be improved quite easily & could thus improve the rating. Food was reasonably good but the plates were often stone cold!! This spoilt the breakfast & evening meals, which was a shame & could be easily overcome. There are limited eating areas for such a busy place so DO book a table when you arrive. There is a fixed shower over the bath - so a shower cap would have been welcomed by us ladies!
There are however some things which can not be easily changed & one needs to consider when booking. Four of us had ground rooms which opened onto a pleasant courtyard with bench seating. When the private party spilled outside this got a little noisy & could disturb those of you who want to retire early. There are no opening windows in these courtyard bedrooms, thus getting hot at night - so in summer these may be the ones to avoid!! Check on these facts when booking.
Just 1 other gripe...... avoid room 23! We had it & unlike our friends we had the TINIEST bathroom sink I have ever seen or tried to use!!! It's a very small hand basin & we soaked the floor trying to wash our face!! (Both other couples had normal sized basins so no problems there).

Overall we felt it was good value for money & enjoyed our stay & visiting Bletchley Park. Take note of the small gripes & am sure you will enjoy it too!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms with opening windows would be best. Avoid room 23 as there is only a very v tiny sin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of The Cock Hotel, I am glad that you found our staff to be polite, friendly and hard working. All of our staff work very hard indeed and it really makes a difference when this is noticed so thank you very much.
I would also like to thank you for bringing up the points that you feel could be improved, we will certainly look into the points you have raised and hopefully this will enable us to improve our service and grow our business through the eyes of a guest. I do hope that you will stay with us again to see the difference your comments have made.
Llanddulas Wales UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Booked in here on the 22 and out again on the 25 October.
My room was over the rear court yard very clean and nice to be honest could find fault, beds comfy to hard or worse to soft, TV worked fine, kettle and coffee where there in the room, water presure was great, the Staff where excellent very accomodating and helpfull, there was one particular young lady in the dinning room dark haired girl who served me in the evening, will not mention a name but has a small cross tattoo on her neck, she was superb, on the 2nd night I thought it a fluke to be honest, my first evening meal here and her service was behond the call of duty by far, very friendly, chatty, could not do enough for me, checked if I was ok every time she passed, surley can't keep this up as there is so much bad service around these days, this MUST be a one off! but no 2nd night she was exactly the same, and with everyone in that room, WHAT a valued employee she must be, it is many years since I have recived service like this. she made me feel really welcome, the Cock should be proud of this young lady...
As for the actual hotel a really nice old English inn, again not really what I had expected, I was booked in for a course here and was really suprised at its qaulity as said all staff where really friendly, look forward to visiting again.
Only Advice, take a small plaster with you! to stick over the blue LED on the TV (standby light) its a bit anoying in the dark and once you spot it you have had it, its a bit bright, as for faults as far as I am concerened thats it, that all I can think of!

Room Tip: Room 29 it overlooks the court yard at the rear, no road noise, no people sounds complete slience an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I have passed on your amazing comments to Emma who was the young lady who served you in the restaurant and she is over the moon with your comments so thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for your next stay.
Otley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

didn't realise when we booked that this was a chain. our room was so tiny we had to squeeze round the door one at a time. ordered eggs Benedict for breakfast which I think is the worst I have ever had - don't offer it if you can't make it! wouldn't stay here again

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We take on board your comments, I am sorry to hear of your disappointment during your recent stay, we do try to keep all of our guests happy and I would recommend speaking to a member of staff during your stay so that we can rectify these issues straight away for you. I do hope that you will stay again where we can demonstrate our more usual high standard of guest service.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Lovely little pub/hotel to stay in the village. We were early to check in so left our bags at reception and had some lunch and a wander up the high street. The food was nice, although it took a while to arrive and was only warm so was possibly left for a while before being served. This could have been due to the wedding reception that was taking place there. The wedding reception guests had just arrived as we had so there was a bit of a queue at the bar (which is quite small).
We were out for the night and as a gaggle of girls arrived back at about midnight, then ordered pizza to our room from a takeaway. The staff there were more than happy for us do this and they kept the front door open for me at 1am while I waited for the pizza.
Our room was at the front of the hotel, which is the older part of the hotel. The bathroom was newly renovated and had a big rose shower head. This also meant that the bells of the nearby church woke us up on Sunday morning at 9.30. Our friends were staying at the back of the hotel and said they couldn't hear them.
The breakfast was lovely, even though we were the last to arrive and the only people to serve at the end of the breakfast session. They even had soya milk for my tea!
Overall a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The newer rooms are at the back of the hotel and nearer to the car park. The older rooms (more chara...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013

Been to The Cock Hotel? Share your experiences!