“Overall very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bull Hotel

You added The Bull Hotel to your Saves list
The Bull Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   64 High Street | Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes MK11 1AQ, England   |
Ranked #22 of 36 Milton Keynes B&B and Inns
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Overall very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed one night on a business trip, by and large a good stay. The car park is round the back, it wasn't obvious this was the case as if you arrive using the sat nav you come in on the high street past the front of the building. If you turn back on yourself you should find it ok on a back road.

Check in was really quick and easy which was ideal after a long drive. The room itself was very pleasant, warm and well decorated. The bathroom was also modern and clean (although a little chilly), with a good quality shower.

The evening menu downstairs isn't huge but provides enough solid pub food for most tastes, with decent portion sizes too. The breakfast was very good, plenty of choice in hot dishes as well as cereal, fruit etc.

In terms of payment on check out, I booked via an online 3rd party, which seems to have been an issue for several other people judging from reviews. Although I didn't notice at the time of payment, they actually put the room rate through at a higher price than I booked online. However upon ringing up the next evening they were able to sort it out and refund the difference, so the error was corrected.

Overall an enjoyable stay and I wouldn't have any problem staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bull Hotel last night. I stay in a lot of hotels and I have to say that this place ranks as one of the best ones. Staff were very nice, the place beautifully decorated and the food was amazing! We stayed in a standard room and although it wasn't overly roomy it was extremely comfortable. Next time I'll book a superior room as we will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

If we ignore the confusion over the order. 1 haddock fish cakes with sweet chilli sauce and prawn cocktail plus a portion of potatoes with caramelized onions with green peas. No 2 haddock fish cakes and chips. The fish cakes are advertised as a light meal. However, we found them to be quite filling.
The food was actually presently well and tasty good!
When we ordered there were only three other people in the restaurant.
So no excuses for the wrong product!
The staff member was very apologetic.
We would return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I visited here with my sister in law for a midday meal.
My first impressions were. Inside it was old but bright and with a modern twist, nice decor. The seating was nice with comfortable seats. The floor didn't look like it has been swept for a while, lots of bits of food under our table and base of the table was full of dust and crumbs.
Service was prompt and helpful.
I had the chicken with a tomato sauce which was very tasty and looked really nice.
My sister in-law had the sea bass which again was well presented. And tasted just as nice.

The dessert menu was limited I thought, so I asked if I could have some fruit and a little ice cream. When it came it was three scoops of shop bought ice cream with one strawberry sliced around it! I mentioned that I had asked for fruit and ice cream and not ice cream and fruit. They went off to amend it. They came back with two ramekin dishes one with a chopped up banana and the other with a handful of grapes! Not a lot of thought gone into it. at the cost of £4.95 is rather insulting.
I would recommend for a main course but forget asking for anything that isn't on the menu.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Unbeknown to me, my wife had booked us in to the recently refurbished Bull Hotel for Sunday night of our 8th Anniversary.

Lovely place, friendly staff who couldn't do more to make us feel very welcome. The rooms were nicely decorated in a modern style but stayed in keeping with the character of the old Hotel, We had Church View room which was at the front looking over the High Street to the Church. We dropped our bags off and went down to the Vaults Bar, which is a music venue at the weekend.

We had the Sunday set dinner which was very nice.They also brought us complimentary drinks as it was our anniversary. The room was rather hot as the window opened but the sash couldn't keep it open (minor problem with the amount of work that the refurb had entailed) .

Breakfast was equally impressive, my wife had the largest full English I've ever seen and I had beautifully prepared Eggs Benedict.

Very highly recommended and worth revisiting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in the cock and bull suite which is a lovely room, very spacious with a bathroom to die for! The only downside is the location over-looking the entrance to the vaults bar - on a Friday and Saturday night it gets very loud and continues until at least 1am.
Breakfast was great, best eggs Benedict I have had for a while. We would stay here again but not on a Saturday night.

• Stayed September 2013
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here when it was a newly opened hotel, rooms very good boutique style very clean with excellent Wi-Fi

The car park was undercover but had a lot of rubbish in it.

My room quite hard to get to with up and down stairs – which is difficult with heavy luggage

I stayed with an opening offer rate which for the money is good value rate after 30th April the rate went up considerably

Reception consisted of a round table in the bar not your usual reception but it worked

My room was L shaped so you couldn't sit at the desk and watch the TV. All part of the hotels quirky nature I suppose.

Room was over the back of the kitchen area which could be quite noisy with lots of conversations going on in the alleyway with refrigeration units going on and off all night

Room had a safe which was a nice touch,

Bathroom clean and had large fluffy towels the box of tissues was a nice touch but only had one tissue in it

All in all a good hotel but the with the increased price it may not be good value for money

Room Tip: probably not one at the rear of the building