“Quality poor” 2 of 5 stars

The Place to Eat
John Lewis | The Centre MK, Milton Keynes, England
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Description: Lovely restaurant, whether it's for a coffee & cake or a full meal.Great view over the shopping centre hall area where all the Christmas displays & events happen.
Luton, United Kingdom
“Quality poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I visited the cafe yesterday in MK with my daughter and grandson. We had 2 coffees and a victoria sandwich cake, a custard choux bun and a scone. It cost £13.30 but the price was not necessary the issue if the quality of the cakes were of the standard expected from JL. The victoria sandwich looks impressive but tasted of dry cake overfilled with a heavy thick type icing very hard. The choux bun was dry and tasteless and the scone was stale. I wont be having coffee there for some time ,the day before I had a scone with `a friend in Marks and it was lovely fresh and tasted of a scone not a heavy dry dough. I have sent them an e-mail and await their comments.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
“Not just any Chicken Pie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We decided on a meal at 'The Place to Eat' in the John Lewis Store just off Middleton Hall. The meal we chose was Chicken and Stuffing Pie with mixed green vegetables and mashed potatoes. As the mixed vegetables had run out and they were waiting for a fresh batch they said they would deliver to our table so we took ourselves off to find a seat. The place was very busy and so it was very noisy. That being said it did not give a feeling of being squeezed in or complete bedlam either.

The meals arrived and they were piping hot and absolutely delicious. I commented that if I had been able to make a make a meal as tasty then I would have been pleased. It was that good!
Whilst we had been waiting for our meal to arriive we had looked at the enormous cakes that were on show just a step away from where we were sitting and deciding which cake we would like to follow up with after the main course. That being said we decided that we would have to go back another day because the meal served was so good and quantitywise 'large'.

Altogether a pleasant experience we just have to work out a suitable day for a return visit.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Moroccan soup”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I always have the Moroccan soup, as it's the best tasty soup out of the three on offer(tomato and veg, fish.

However, today, It was horrible and I asked for a complete new bowl.

They also ran out of bread - only rye bread left.

I like the other review preferred the other location. You could see the activity and displays.

I guess they moved it to stopped people relaxing for too long!!

Such a shame!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Not keen on new venue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Went to the new restaurant yesterday, it is such a shame they have moved it. It was a really nice place to look out over Middleton Hall. Had a tasteless baguette, have complained to them. If you pay £8 for sandwich and coffee you want it to have one flavour.