“Holiday Inn Saxon Gate” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Holiday Inn Saxon Gate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Good hotel with best location in MK town centre
Parking is available but don't be late as it can fill up easily - over zealous MK parking charges are expensive if you don't get a space.
Free WIFI us available if you ask.
BUT... Restaurant Menu has been DESTROYED since May 2013 - what are H.I. thinking!!!
Choice is very very poor, presentation is very very poor. Restaurant is now a ghost town and restaurant staff are completely demotivated and its not their fault - SORT IT OUT HOLIDAY INN

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Steve N

Thank you for posting a review.

I am disappointed that you found the current trial of a new menu option disappointing as over the last 18 months we have worked hard with our guests to understand their dining preferences to develop a menu and options that meet the needs of the Holiday Inn Traveller.

AS this is a trial your comments are important and will be reviewed with the others we have received to form part of the feedback on the future menu developments. "The Kitchen" which is the name of the concept is about delivering food using quality ingredients in a more relaxed and less cluttered environment to enable the guest to feel comfortable with food that is tasty and enjoayble.

Our initial internal guest satisfaction scores have seen improvements with the guest satisfaction in these new menu options and also the team feedback has also been positive so I will certainly ensure we solicit further to ensure we have a complete picture of how the trial was received.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Wayne Bowring - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have stayed here regularly for the last six years but now feel the need to look at other hotels in the area. The prices have increased quite a bit and I no longer receive PC points as my organisation forces me to use an agent. The food menu has changed recently and now has very little choice in both the restaurant and room service. The burgers used to be home made, chunky and very juicy with lots of topping. Now they are like cheap frozen burgers. This is just one example of the menu change.

I feel I could get so much more for the price at other hotels. Therefore, my next two stays are at the Mercure Abbey in MK.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear SueldocDurham,

Thank you for posting a review.

I am disappointed that you found the current trial of a new menu option disappointing as we have worked hard with our guests to understand their dining preferences to develop a menu and options that meet the needs of the Holiday Inn Traveller. The "Burger" dish is now made with a quality handmade Angus Beefburger and is a far better quality product than the previous option. The toppings have been reduced in line with menu reviews however if you have any preference then please let the team know and I an sure they will do their best to provide these for you.

Regarding the loyalty points you are still eligible to receive these as long as you provide your membership number this can be added to your booking as long as your organisation allows you to be part of our Loyalty Reward scheme. If you have any questions on this please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel and I will be able to look into this further.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Shocking to see that the hotel has changed it's menus to trial a new one, its awful and even the staff are saying the same.. Very little choice and if you a veggie, then you better get ready for almost no choice at all.
The menu is badly laid out and just looks like a poor bar menu
It's made my mind up to change hotels when staying in MK now..
Well done holiday inn, you getting better at pushing away members

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paulvistshotels,

Thank you for posting a review.

Our initial internal guest satisfaction scores have seen improvements with the guest satisfaction in these new menu options and I am realistic that we are not able to meet everyone's dining preference which is fortunate, given our great central location, as you point out the other restaurant options available in the area.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Ederveen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

For some reason I typically do not stay at Holiday Inns but this one did pleasantly surprise me.

The whole hotel looks up to date and is nice and spacious. Staff were very friendly, nothing to complain about.

The rooms are OK, maybe a little basic but all and all not bad.

Breakfast was OK too, nothing exciting.

Best thing of this hotel is, I think, that it is close to some nice restaurants and bars. it is only a short walk which I think is ideal.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear MikeB92

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, I was pleased to read that the team at the hotel looked after you during your stay and I have passed your comments on to them at our daily meeting and they were thrilled to hear this.

Thank you once again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Regards
Wayne Bowring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight to attend a conference. Great location, walking distance to plenty of restaurants and nightlife. Clean comfy room, friendly staff, nice pool, good gym and very nice laid out breakfast. Will recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Evemania,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am pleased that you had a great stay. I will share your comments with the wider hotel team who I know will be equally as pleased.

Once again thank you for your review and hope to see you back again soon.

Best Wishes and Regards

Wayne Bowring - General Manager.
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I don't usually use trip advisor to write reviews however I felt compelled to do so after a couple of weeks of consideration. I am a Platinum priority club member and as usually I queued at the 'priority check in', as it happened there was more 3 people wait with no one waiting at the main counter, it sort of defeats the objective of having a priority check I felt. When i neared the front of the queue the member of staff offered the person either a free drink at the bar or 500 points for being a platinum member, with that in mind i was considering which would be best for me. However when it was my turn to sit down to pretend i was royalty the member of staff then had to visit the other counter as my room key had not been created (room booked at 11am the same morning), it then took a further couple of minutes to resolve. She gave me my key and showed me to the lift without asking which platinum reward I wanted...Strange as I am a regular to the hotel.

The reason why this review doesn’t get a terrible review is the rooms are impeccable, clean and always with a great choice of pillows.

However the breakfast experience was very disappointing. I turned up at 8:30 waited a couple of moments to be seated when a women walked in front of me (i think she was a manager of some description) totally ignored me as she started to talk to the staff member who normally takes my room number and sits me down. I decided to sit myself down opposed to going hungry. After getting some food the member of staff noticed i hadn't given my room number and approached me and asked me, she also asked if i wanted tea or coffee, of which I answered. The same lady that stopped the member of staff initially then started to talk to all the team whilst i was eat, including the chef normally behind the hot bar, 5mins later no tea....10mins later..... No tea, 15mins later guess what....no tea.... You get the picture.

My frustration with my experience is that any human interaction was well below my expectation and actually damming to the chain. I understand the hotel is under new management and I’m sure they will read this and take it as constructive feedback as it is intended.

I just wish that the lady (tall 5foot 11 or even 6 foot) who was stopping the staff doing their job had made the customer at the heart of her discussion and had an awareness of the people who still needed serving whilst she had her say on how the service had gone.

Will I stop here again? I'm sure I will more for convenience opposed to because of its great service; however I will be expecting a great level of engagement from the staff than I experienced here.

Regards,
Steve

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear FamilyGUY1983

Thank you for taking the time to post a review to the TripAdvisor community.
Please accept my apologies for the elements of your stay that were not to your satisfaction. It is certainly disappointing to read that we did not deliver on a truly great guest experience. I along with the hotel management team review all guest comments to ensure we can rectify any shortcoming that are experienced so please be assured we will increase our efforts to deliver our goal in our goal in providing great guest experiences and satisfaction.

Once again please accept my apologies and if I can be of any further assistance please let me know

Wayne Bowring
London -East
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable cosy room, wemt for the one night with my twin celebrating our birthday. Rooms are spacious we had room 402 which faced the shopping centre. Asked for late chrck out weeks before we had arrived would have been impressed if it was refused when we got there as I requested it weeks before, theee was a slight problem but then the check out was ok im the end. Used the sauna which was ok standard forany holiday inn a jacuzzi would have been nice. Didn't have breakfast as too overpriced. Great lication taxis are like 3 pounds went out in the evening you can walk to the hub but xscape you may want to call a taxi I give this a 8 out 10 stay

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear ladylise20,

I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable that and that any issues you experienced on check out were resolved.

It is my goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to me. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables me to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback I receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with me and if I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me. I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Milton Keynes for your future travel needs.

Best Wishes

Wayne Bowring - General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Milton Keynes? Share your experiences!