“Generally excellent, but not quite perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Generally excellent, but not quite perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have just returned from the Hilton Milton Keynes. Prior to checking in, I had read some of the reviews on tripadvisor, and was a little worried that the hotel was going to be a little shabby. I should not have worried.

From walking in the door to check in, to checking out the next morning, I can honestly stay I had an excellent stay. The reception staff on duty was very friendly and helpful. I was slightly concerned when walking along the hotel corridor to my room - this hotel has definitely seen better days and could do with quite a bit of minor maintenance (chipped walls etc). However, didn't smell bad (something that can quite often happen when a hotel needs a refurb).

When I entered my room, I was impressed - a large, spacious room that was well-equipped - large TV, toiletries, lots of towels etc etc). Mind you, the bed looked a bit plain - just white covers, with no contrast dressing at all, and it looked a bit lumpy. (It wasn't - it was lovely and comfy.) There's no fridge, but there was a bottle of water (with a £3.95 price tag) sitting on the desk. On the refurb front, one of my bath taps was very stiff, and dripped constantly - not a deal-breaker, but just another comment to add to mine and others about the hotel needing some attention.

After I'd sorted out my things, I decided to visit the leisure centre. I'd already checked the opening hours - 24 hours for the gym, with the pool being open from 7am (I think) to 10pm. The leisure centre is quite small. The female changing room was smaller than my guest room. The gym area was also very small, but it was actually adequate, as it doesn't seem to be very well used. There was a small selection of treadmills, bikes, cross-trainers and a rower, and some resistance machines. There also seemed to be quite a good selection of free weights.

I also visited the swimming pool area, which has a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, as well as a pool. The pool is a tiny 7m (by about 6m). I loved it though! Again, it wasn't well attended, so it wasn't full up. If you want a really good swim, it's not ideal, but I quite liked being able to notch up about 20 laps in 5 mins!! Then I lost count and just swam. A nice touch in the pool area is the provision of iced water for guests.

I used the pool again before breakfast, and again, it wasn't busy, even on a Sunday morning with lots of families around.

Breakfast was included in my package. One of the other reviewers said that at £10, they thought it wouldn't be worth paying. However, I can state that it would be well worth paying that amount. Staff welcome guests to their table by pouring fresh orange juice, and asking what hot drink they would like. The breakfast is buffet style - and what a selection! Cooked breakfast, including all the usuals plus veggie options; selection of cereals; porridge (tasted ok, but was very runny - definitely not rib-stickin'!); crepes with various fillings/toppings; dried fruit; fresh fruit; yogurt; cheese; cold meats; breads; pastries; muffins; fish; fruit juices. I didn't try ALL of these, but I made a good effort! Breakfast was served until 11am on a Sunday - I'm not too sure about the rest of the week, but there seemed to be a long breakfast service everyday.

After breakfast, I checked out well before the civilised 12 noon check out time, before getting a taxi to MK train station (about 10 mins journey/£6).

Just to add, all the staff that I had any contact with were friendly and helpful. These included reception, restaurant, leisure centre and housekeeping staff. I also noticed that the staff seemed to get along with each other, and this all gave an air of a happy atmosphere within the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are staying in the Milton Keynes area.

Room Tip: Some of the top floor rooms have balconies, but I think these must be slightly smaller.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear samanthani

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your stay in our hotel. I was delighted that you found it to your satisfaction and I have passed your kind comments on to the team, which were most gratefully received.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme at the hotel, and many of our rooms and bathrooms have been improved already and will continue to do more this year.

I do hope that you will return and see us again. You will be made most welcome.

Regards
Prasoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Achill Island, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. From the moment you enter the front doors the treatment is very good indeed. Staff are friendly and it is the prefect hotel, certainly for the business traveller.

The rooms are lovely. There is everything you would need for a comfortable stay. The bed was firm, crisp and clean with plenty of pillows. There were great facilities in the room and the addition of an ironing board and iron was a welcome bonus. One weird thing – there was a five centimeter step into the bathroom which I tripped over – weird!

The main bar is not one of those standard ones you find in major hotels. There’s lots of little nooks and crannies where you can quietly set up your laptop and catch up with things. I couldn’t work out how to use wifi though and I’m unsure if it was free or not.

The food was very good indeed – the bar meals were bistro quality and well presented and the breakfast buffet had everything you could want.

In summary, an excellent hotel and very welcoming indeed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear UrbanHeroScotland

Thank you for your business review of our hotel. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our amenities comfortable. I was also glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere in our lounge bar area.

We do indeed have free WiFi in this area and this is accessed via a BT Openzone code which is displayed in the Bar and also available from Reception.

Please do visit us again and you will receive a warm welcome from the team.

Regards
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night. I always rate my stay based on the quality of sleep I had, and I cannot complain at all. I slept like an absolute log! So much so that I slept through my alarm.
We arrived quite late, but the check in process was very swift and easy and we were in our rooms within 5 mins of walking through the door. We were offered breakfast for the next morning as we hadn't booked it, but declined as it seemed quite expensive at 10 pounds per person. We ordered some food at the bar and made our way to bed. The bar staff were extremely polite and efficient.
The rooms were great. Comfortable and spacious. Plenty of storage space with all amenities you could need (hair dryer, coffee tray, toiletries, iron and board etc). The one major let down was the bathroom. It was in desparate need of a refit! It was very clean, but the toilet was coming away from the wall and the cold tap of the bath was extremely stiff and didn't work very well. Apart from this the room was brilliant. The matress topper was amazingly comfortable!!
We made use of the swimming pool in the morning which wad brilliant. Small pool, probably half a standard sized 25m pool I would guess. The water temperature was perfect and was a great way to start the morning.
We payed less than 50pounds per person which we were astounded by as Hilton hotels are normally very expensive. The hotel is less than 10mins drive from the centre mk and also the snow dome .

• Stayed April 2013
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear lottie-jo

I was delighted that you had an excellent stay here in Milton Keynes. We pride ourselves on ensuring that our guests have a great time, and I hope that you will return and see us again.

I have passed your kind coments on to the team, and they join me in grateful thanks for your review.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited in April 2013 chosen because of its proximity to Open University. The staff were incredibly welcoming and friendly across all areas from leisure, reception, restaurant, bar etc.
The rooms are basic and certainly the room we stayed in was 'tired' with the most uncomfortable bed which was on wheels and the slightest movement caused it to bounce, very annoying when trying to get off to sleep, probably made worse as I was sharing with a child! My 11 year old described the bathroom as stuck in the 80s, maybe the wrong decade but you get the picture. There were cobwebs and dust in the room, a deep clean is probably overdue.
The breakfast was great, incredible choice and excellent friendly service but the restaurant and room service was poor. Having chosen items off the menu on day one were told our choice wasn't available (chicken tikka, pizza or veg curry) and the same problem the following day!
The swimming pool and jacuzzi were nice but the changing facilities were cramped.
It wasn't the cheapest option so overall we were a bit disappointed and wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Budgie B

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased that you found our location good and enjoyed the facilities. However, I was disappointed to hear that the room standards did not meet your expectations. My Head Housekeeper joins me in sincerely apologising for the shortcomings you encountered on this occasion and please be sure that this has been addressed with her team.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future, and please be assured that you will be looked after for future stays.

Kind Regards
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just stayed here last night on a short trip with the Mrs. Booked through lastminute, when I got to the hotel, the receptionist Laura informed me that the hotel hasnt received my booking, which she clarified afterwards that reservations doesnt work weekends hence its not on the system. But during that me and the mrs were being stared at for a good half a minute by her, which the me and the mrs found pretty embarrassing as if we were coming to stay for free and needed to leave etc. Thankfully enough the person working with her on reception told her to go inside and check. I would agree with the previous reviewers that staff here need training and pretty much look like school leavers who do not take pride in their job as they know they wont be there for long. Two families checked in by the time I got mine done. They were dealt by swiftly and professionally with hotel and pool timings, whereas we were just told Checkout time is 12 and a very forceful sorry for the delay , all this despite being Hilton Hhonours members. Pretty much spoilt the mood as I have stayed in the double tree round the corner and it was fantastic and the service was miles better.

Anyways moving onto the hotel, generally outlook was good, location is good as well with adequate free parking. Never had any food as we went out. City centre easily reachable within 10 minutes drive. our room wreaked of cigarate smoke and I didnt want to go to reception for more awkward moments to complain about this hence we left the window open when we went for dinner. Room itself looked clean but showing signs of wear and tear. Housekeeping not exactly the best with dust on the table clearly visible( see pictures). room and bathroom were ok with not much noise. standard satellite tv with 20 odd channels.

Check out was instant as we didnt buy anything. The girl on the checkout( name badge just read Trainee) was friendly and all smiles. Looked like she actually wanted to be there.

All in all a hit and miss hotel.stay if you get it for under 50. Could have been 4-5 stars if not for the initial reaction but as the saying goes, First impression is the last impression. Usually I am very generous with my reviews and only give less stars if I really find it below average, and that's purely because I research thoroughly before booking. So pretty consistent with previous reviewers, certain staff need training as they are letting the hotel down. I would book elsewhere if looking to stay more than a day and if using the facilities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear hussainfarhad

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your stay. I was most concerned to hear that you felt undervalued as a guest, as we pride ourselves on our service here at the Hilton Milton Keynes, and this is most certainly not to our usual standard, and I offer my sincere apologies.

If you would like to email me (prasoon.pradap@hilton.com) with some contact details and exact date of your stay, I would like to write to you with a personal apology.

It is only by receiving feedback such as yours that we can improve on our service and standards, and I do hope that this unfortunate incident will not deter you from visiting us again.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

we stay at this hotel regularly visiting family, the rooms are a little tired but no more than you expect from a busy hotel, the staff are friendly and efficent, the breakfast is great and we always get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear chrissy B

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with other TripAdvisor users. It was great to hear that you had a good time and that everything met your expectations.

We will certainly look forward to your next visit.

Maidstone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited in March 2013 with my family. Arrived to find out that we had been upgraded to a bigger room which was nice. The staff were very friendly throughout particularly at reception and at breakfast. They made my son feel very welcome at ease. There is plenty of car parking and it has easy access from the M1. Should be considered as a good base to explore Milton Keynes and the surrounding area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear HonestGSC

Thank you very much for your great review on Trip Advisor. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and your family, and I am delighted that we contributed to your short break.

Please be sure to visit us again sometime, you are always welcome.

Prasoon

Been to Hilton Milton Keynes? Share your experiences!