“Great staff but hotel tired” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Timbold Drive, Milton Keynes MK7 6HL, England   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 33%
Ranked #16 of 34 hotels in Milton Keynes
“Great staff but hotel tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited in April 2013 chosen because of its proximity to Open University. The staff were incredibly welcoming and friendly across all areas from leisure, reception, restaurant, bar etc.
The rooms are basic and certainly the room we stayed in was 'tired' with the most uncomfortable bed which was on wheels and the slightest movement caused it to bounce, very annoying when trying to get off to sleep, probably made worse as I was sharing with a child! My 11 year old described the bathroom as stuck in the 80s, maybe the wrong decade but you get the picture. There were cobwebs and dust in the room, a deep clean is probably overdue.
The breakfast was great, incredible choice and excellent friendly service but the restaurant and room service was poor. Having chosen items off the menu on day one were told our choice wasn't available (chicken tikka, pizza or veg curry) and the same problem the following day!
The swimming pool and jacuzzi were nice but the changing facilities were cramped.
It wasn't the cheapest option so overall we were a bit disappointed and wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Budgie B

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased that you found our location good and enjoyed the facilities. However, I was disappointed to hear that the room standards did not meet your expectations. My Head Housekeeper joins me in sincerely apologising for the shortcomings you encountered on this occasion and please be sure that this has been addressed with her team.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future, and please be assured that you will be looked after for future stays.

Kind Regards

616 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just stayed here last night on a short trip with the Mrs. Booked through lastminute, when I got to the hotel, the receptionist Laura informed me that the hotel hasnt received my booking, which she clarified afterwards that reservations doesnt work weekends hence its not on the system. But during that me and the mrs were being stared at for a good half a minute by her, which the me and the mrs found pretty embarrassing as if we were coming to stay for free and needed to leave etc. Thankfully enough the person working with her on reception told her to go inside and check. I would agree with the previous reviewers that staff here need training and pretty much look like school leavers who do not take pride in their job as they know they wont be there for long. Two families checked in by the time I got mine done. They were dealt by swiftly and professionally with hotel and pool timings, whereas we were just told Checkout time is 12 and a very forceful sorry for the delay , all this despite being Hilton Hhonours members. Pretty much spoilt the mood as I have stayed in the double tree round the corner and it was fantastic and the service was miles better.

Anyways moving onto the hotel, generally outlook was good, location is good as well with adequate free parking. Never had any food as we went out. City centre easily reachable within 10 minutes drive. our room wreaked of cigarate smoke and I didnt want to go to reception for more awkward moments to complain about this hence we left the window open when we went for dinner. Room itself looked clean but showing signs of wear and tear. Housekeeping not exactly the best with dust on the table clearly visible( see pictures). room and bathroom were ok with not much noise. standard satellite tv with 20 odd channels.

Check out was instant as we didnt buy anything. The girl on the checkout( name badge just read Trainee) was friendly and all smiles. Looked like she actually wanted to be there.

All in all a hit and miss hotel.stay if you get it for under 50. Could have been 4-5 stars if not for the initial reaction but as the saying goes, First impression is the last impression. Usually I am very generous with my reviews and only give less stars if I really find it below average, and that's purely because I research thoroughly before booking. So pretty consistent with previous reviewers, certain staff need training as they are letting the hotel down. I would book elsewhere if looking to stay more than a day and if using the facilities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear hussainfarhad

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your stay. I was most concerned to hear that you felt undervalued as a guest, as we pride ourselves on our service here at the Hilton Milton Keynes, and this is most certainly not to our usual standard, and I offer my sincere apologies.

If you would like to email me (prasoon.pradap@hilton.com) with some contact details and exact date of your stay, I would like to write to you with a personal apology.

It is only by receiving feedback such as yours that we can improve on our service and standards, and I do hope that this unfortunate incident will not deter you from visiting us again.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

we stay at this hotel regularly visiting family, the rooms are a little tired but no more than you expect from a busy hotel, the staff are friendly and efficent, the breakfast is great and we always get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear chrissy B

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with other TripAdvisor users. It was great to hear that you had a good time and that everything met your expectations.

We will certainly look forward to your next visit.

Maidstone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited in March 2013 with my family. Arrived to find out that we had been upgraded to a bigger room which was nice. The staff were very friendly throughout particularly at reception and at breakfast. They made my son feel very welcome at ease. There is plenty of car parking and it has easy access from the M1. Should be considered as a good base to explore Milton Keynes and the surrounding area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear HonestGSC

Thank you very much for your great review on Trip Advisor. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and your family, and I am delighted that we contributed to your short break.

Please be sure to visit us again sometime, you are always welcome.

New Milton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

A diferent manager each day, untrained staff. who couldent care less about your complaints.
A inportant message left for a guest that was to be given on their arrival on friday was given to them on their departure on monday. Bar staff served a sherry in a brandy balloon.cup of tea served with no milk or sugar offerd .the evening meal sent back it being cold.
when complaining to one of the so called managers a complimentry glass of wine as compentsation was promised, (it cost £4 since no one knew about it. The staff look like a untrained bunch of school leavers.All in all a digrace to the name Hilton.
STAY SOMWERE ELSE

Room Tip: use the holiday inn
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear rose503837

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I was most disappointed to hear about your experience, which is certainly not the standard and expectations our returning guests have experienced. Please be assured that I have fully investigated the shortcomings you noted and corrective action has taken place, in order that we fully meet our guests expectations on every visit.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me prasoon.pradap@hilton.com.

It is only by receiving feedback such as your that we can improve on our product, so thanks once again for your comments.

Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

There is no free wifi available and the staff is downright silly, or partly far beyond that point. The restaurant is expensive and there' s really nothing special about this hotel except from a big name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear wolli101

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was sorry to hear that your stay this time did not meet your expectations and it was a pity that you were not informed of our free WiFi areas in our lounge, for your convenience.

I will ensure that the staff are aware of your disappointment, in order that we can improve on our service and standards for you next time.

Kind Regards
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Location is perfect for Woburn and Bletchley. Rooms were spacious and linen was clean but we had to move rooms twice due to maintenance issues, although staff were attentive and quick to respond to our problems. Hot breakfast was very good and they also had a good 'healthy' selection. Dinner menu a bit pricey but food was good. Waiting staff friendly and very helpful. Restaurant, bar and communal areas were very cold so take some warm clothes. Overall a nice hotel in a convenient location but needing a few improvements to the overall condition of the rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear RustyRain

Thank you for your review of our hotel, and I was pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful.

I was sorry to hear that you experience a few maintenance problems during your stay, but happy that we were able to accommodate your all your requests and expectations. I have passed your kind comment regarding the food to our Head Chef, which were gratefully received.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme at the hotel and many of our rooms and areas have already undergone improvement and enhancements, and I do hope that you will return to experience this.

Regards
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hilton Milton Keynes? Share your experiences!