“Always Delivers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Maidstone
“Always Delivers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in a Junior Suite just before Christmas and as always Hilton delivered its professional and efficient service. The room was spacious, clean and well equipped. The breakfast was well prepared and good for buffet style.

The service throughout was personal and polite and made our stay very good.

All in all this visit represented excellent value for money and I would recommend it to other.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear HonestGSC

It was with great pleasure that I read your positive experience at our hotel. We were delighted that you had a good time, and I have passed your very kind comments on to the team here and they have been gratefully accepted.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and may I wish you a Happy New Year 2013.

Prasoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
Trier, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Hilton Milton Keynes with our 4 month old baby between 26th Dec and 2nd Jan, whilst visiting family and friends over the Christmas period.

Rooms/Suites:
Regrettably, our stay started badly when we walked into our allocated room. This 'Queen Deluxe' was smaller than expected, but satisfactory in terms of a living space. Our first impressions were that the room merely appeared a little outdated, but it didn't take a much closer look to see that it was extremely rough around the edges. A 2 inch hole between the bottom of the balcony doors (where the lock was once present) meant the wind whistled through the room. I was disappointed to learn that the management of the Hilton hotel believed this room to be of an acceptable condition for a family to stay in. Let alone place a baby cot on the floor next to the whistling door. This room should never have been sold in the first place.

We were subsequently upgraded to a 'Junior Suite'.

The main living room was significantly larger (though bathroom exactly the same) and whilst there were no holes connecting our room to the elements this time round, the general condition was equally as poor. The photographs in this review describe the most noticeable defects, but it's extremely clear that the Hilton are trying to maintain this hotel on a shoestring. It's poor to say the least and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've spent any real money on improving or renovating the grounds and rooms of this hotel in a very long time. I'd suggest anybody paying the full suite rate would be highly disappointed by the tiny, dirty bathroom and the tired, rough finish of all else.

Ironically, the employee of the month posted in the lobby was a member of the maintenance team (I still just about have a sense of humor after this stay).

Hotel Grounds:
The general rough edges observed in the rooms was also visible in the restaurant and communal areas:- chipped paint, dented furniture, and dirty surfaces. Per the attached photographs, one of the most disgusting aspects was the fact that room-service breakfast dishes were left for so long before being collected. I didn't ever see trays removed before midday, and on one occasion, they were still present after 18:00 and only removed (from the floor i stayed on) when I informed the reception desk. Aesthetics aside (and trust me if you will - it looked absolutely disgusting), not only does this present an obvious hygiene risk, but I took this as a physical manifestation of the Hilton's attitude toward the guest experience. Not good enough.

Room Service:
Upon calling the restaurant, we were told on the evening of New Years Day, that there would be no room service available. This was the first time and whilst I insisted that we would require the service over the phone, I was told I would need to visit the bar. Reluctantly, I did so, where I was greeted by a bartender who informed me of a highly limited menu (and again that room service would not be available). Having ordered and been told once again that this [4-star hotel] could not deliver to our room, I needed to speak with the reception team in order to make that happen. We were subsequently visited in-room by the same down-spirited bartender who sheepishly delivered our meal. I don't expect to need to argue for this kind of service.

Restaurant:
We only visited the restaurant for breakfast, which was of a reasonable buffet-style standard. We ate there on 4 of the 7 days. On the downside, the oddly enthusiastic style of the restaurant manager, whose English in my opinion was a long way off a sufficiently high standard for greeting guests and asking for tea, coffee or orange juice preferences, made for somewhat of a loud and uncomfortable experience that was strange and simply not necessary. This individual doesn't understand what constitutes a relaxed and professional dining service.

Other Staff:
The reception staff (including at least 2 duty managers I was aware of who manned the desk at times) were generally polite and accommodating. We were quickly moved to a new room when we requested it. Other than the porter who deemed it appropriate to address me as "mate" on several occasions (i can live with that) and the duty manager who woke our baby who loudly entered our room after a power cut, interactions were generally professional and efficient. I would say however, that based on the rest of our experience, the leadership team at the Hilton really didn't have a very good concept of what 'good' looks like. For any senior leadership who might have stumbled across this review, I'd most certainly recommend some well-overdue retraining/education.

Conclusion:
I will not be staying at this hotel again and maintain the fact that it requires significant investment in terms of renovation and employee development just go get it to the standard of a basic 4-star hotel. Whilst I appreciate this hotel is not new, there's bags of opportunity for improvement and much of it is long overdue. I've no doubt that the Hilton Milton Keynes was once a 4-star hotel, but today it most certainly is not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Chris H

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to hear that you encountered a few problems during your stay. The staff here work very hard to keep the hotel well maintained and I will ensure the issues you listed are looked at. We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme where many areas have been enhanced and improvements made for our guests enjoyment. I hope that you will return and that your stay meets your expectations next time. You will be made most welcome.

Best Regards to you and your family for the New Year.
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night in December and felt the hotel to be rather old fashioned and certainly not up to the Hilton level of service I have come to expect over the years.

Due to travel, we did not arrive at the hotel until almost midnight and our arrival coincided with a large and very loud party finishing. This is obviously fine as hotels normally host parties and special events, but unfortunately the 'cloakroom' was also the reception so we had then wait for a number of very drunken people to hand in receipts and wait for their coats. It therefore took around 20 minutes before we were able to check in and finally get to bed.

The room was very dated but at least it was clean and tidy. Breakfast was average (not very hot) and unfortunately the WiFi did not work, and after four telephone calls to reception to ask for support and none arriving after an hour I gave up. Overall, this hotel is not up to the standard of a normal Hilton, but as I only paid a very low rate I accepted the quality of service without a more formal complaint. Next time I'll stay elsewhere...

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear NotRuthWatson

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I was sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We make every effort to ensure that our guests' have a wonderful stay, and I am sorry you felt let down on this occasion. Please be assured that your comments will be acted on and I do hope that you will stay again at some time in the future.

Regards

Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a typical 1970s style motel (think Crossroads Motel, if like me, you are old enough to remember). I have stayed here a couple of times because its location suits my business needs. Using a third-party website I have always managed to bag a bargain price for an executive room. And I really like the room facilities. The front desk staff are friendly and efficient, too. However, the restaurant food is disgusting. You would have thought that an English restaurant could manage fish and chips at least, especially when charged at £12.. Mine was too greasy and the "pea purée" (mushy peas to you and me) were microwaved to an inch of its life; making it solid and brittle. The food on my previous visit was just as bad: "fresh tuna" with the texture of an old boot.

Room Tip: Phone out for a pizza. The restaurant food is awful and the room service processed cheese sandwich i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear CelestiaWales

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I was pleased to hear that you found our rooms comfortable, however I am sorry to hear of your disappointing restaurant experience. Please be assured that this is certainly not to our usual standards and please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the team at Hilton Milton Keynes I have ensured that your comments have been actioned, as it is only by receiving feedback such as yours, that we can improve on our service and standards.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you a Happy New Year, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some time in the future.

Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed here after a Christmas party in a large group. We requested a wheelchair accessible room and when we checked it we discovered it was just a standard room with too much furniture and not full accessible. The bathroom was not accessible for my husband to have a shower or use the toilet and this is really unacceptable when you market the room as fully wheelchair accessible and from a Hilton hotel. The room was so small that my husband wasn't able to get around the whole room.

The hotel rooms need modernising and the beds could be more comfortable The corridors also need to be monitored as ours was dirty everytime we used them.

On a positive, the reception area is clean and modern and the staff were good at reception and in the bar area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear dm342

Thank you for your review. As a hotel we do regularly review the issues mentioned and our team here are always happy to listen to guest feedback and will do our utmost to rearrange rooms to accommodate any special needs or requirements. Please let us us know if we can assist you further next time you stay, and we will ensure your room is arranged to your complete satisfaction.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for he 1st time on a one night business trip. Rooms dated and tired, breakfast was cold at 7am, however I slept better here tan the doubletree and the staff were very good, in particular the main guy in the restaurant and the lady behind the bar both on the night of the 12th and then the morning of 13th December, these 2 people showed outstanding customer care and are an asset to your hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear mattb3781

I was so pleased to hear that you had a good night's sleep at our hotel and found our staff showed outstanding customer care.

We have a great team at Hilton Milton Keynes, and you can always be sure of a warm welcome.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed there for a weekend..service was okay..not what I exactly expected from a Hilton hotel to be honest. I did get a good deal for it so it was acceptable but on its full price, I don't think i would recommend it. The room was quite small as well. Clean and basic sums it up quite well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear VarunaP

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you found a good deal when booking the hote,l and pleased that you found the room clean and comfortable.

I do hope that you will come and visit us again, as we are consistently updating our product in order to deliver what our guests' are requesting.

You will be made most welcome by our fantastic staff.

Prasoon

Been to Hilton Milton Keynes? Share your experiences!