“Good budget hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill

You added Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill to your Saves list
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Approach, Monks Way, Two Mile Ash, Milton Keynes MK8 8LY, England (Formerly Abbey Hill Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
London
“Good budget hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Better than Premier Inn anyway. Nice rooms which have been recently restyled. Not sure mine was a superior as booked as I couldn't see how it could have been any more basic and the 'armchair' was without doubt the most uncomfortable of any I've had in a hotel so in the end served as a stand for the inevitable oversupply of cushions. There is aircon which was reasonably easy to operate though I don't know how effective it would be given the time of year, and heated bathroom floor - lovely - also easy to operate via a switch near the master light switch.
I could not open the windows. As I had no risk of falling UP to my death on the basement floor, this was annoying but not worth worrying over. No fridge/minibar though and room service is an extra £5 tray charge. Mostly quiet apart from some late night stomping around in the room above and outside in the corridor. Not really the hotel's fault other than the poor build quality of lots of more recent British building but a shame that people have to crash around like a rhino on a stag do just going to bed.

Good bathrooms (shower only) with great walk in rain shower though it was draining rather slowly. All staff were efficient and personable, Matthew on Reception was a particular hoot and very helpful. There is a nice bar/restaurant with particularly pleasant outdoor seating. Food was pricey - decent quality but rather mean portions for the price. I would book the website offer 2 course dinner if eating there as my sandwich/Coke and tea was a rather steep £14.

Overall I'd say the Doubletree MK has better rooms but due to its policy of turning the hotel into a nightclub at weekends the Mercure is a more peaceful alternative if I can figure out how to get the room grade I actually booked....

Room Tip: Golf course view for space and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and took full advantage of all the 4 star services that we offer.

Our bedrooms are all designed and furnished to the same high standard including heated floors, heated mirrors, flat screen TV, Tea/Coffee facilities, complementary water, bathroom aminities and free Wifi, should you wish to upgrade the size of your room we offer 3 room types where our Privilege Rooms all include golf course views, Jacuzzi bath, bath robes, slippers and Mini Bar as well for as little as £20.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the quality of our restaurant and I have shared all your feedback with our head chef, I can warmly recommend our terrace as you pointed out it is truly a great place to sit and relax on a sunny day.

Again thank you for your review and we all look forward to welcome you back soon,

KInd Regards,
Mads Nielsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
March, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We visited here for a day training course. The staff were helpful in providing hot drinks and biscuits and very polite. The pens and paper provided were also pretty. Sparkling water not so good lol!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you found our conference facilities to meet your expectations and the staff were attentive and helpful. All our conference rooms are equipped with the latest technology and we can accommodate meetings of up to 150 delegates and cater for all your conference needs.

Please contact our events team on 01908561666 for your next meeting or event,

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I cannot say anything bad about this hotel. The staff, the food, the rooms, the drink and even the location are brilliant. I have stopped in a few in Milton Keynes and this is by far the best. Any request is catered for. If i had to pick one fault, they should have the football on in the bar........thats the best I could do. The kitchen staff will go out of there way to make sure you are happy, trust me, I have tested them as I have funny dietary requests. Definitely recommend the hotel to anyone..............Im here for another month or so.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, i have been in about 7 different ones.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and the 5 star rating you gave us. It is always a pleasure to read good comments especially from our long stay guests such as yourself. I was extremely pleased to read that you are finding all aspects of the hotel to meet your expectations and that you are finding the team helpful. I have shared your comments and we will make sure that all available football games are shown in our lounge area, should the football not be shown please do not hesitate to contact a member of staff who will happily assist you.

Again thank you for your review it has been most helpful and appreciated,

My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back,

Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We booked a night on a deal, one night, afternoon tea, 2 massages and a three course meal for £99 and we were not disappointed.
We received a friendly and efficient welcome on arrival and were served our afternoon tea in the bar area.
Our room was large, very clean and well appointed with a large comfortable bed.
My wife had both massages included in the package ( I don't care for them much so I let her have mine) and found them most beneficial. The salon staff were helpful and knowledgeable providing her with useful information for future reference.
Our evening meal was very nice, we paid the additional supplement for the items served on the hot stones. The food was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal.
The bar and restaurant areas are nicely decorated and the waiting staff in the restaurant were very pleasant and helpful.
A couple of minor things prevented me rating the hotel as excellent as opposed to very good.
Whilst having our afternoon tea I went to the bar and asked for a pint of Boddingtons, the tap hissed and bubbled and nothing came out, the same happened to the Guiness, this threw the young girl serving me into a panic as she hadn't a clue why this was happening...an empty barrel perchance?? She said she would speak to her manager and went about serving other customers and having waited 10 minutes without being served I returned thirstily to our table.
The toilet roll holder in our room was hanging limply on the wall requiring the toilet roll to be placed on the counter alongside the sink, not very good if the counter becomes wet from using the sink and the shower head could not be raised up on the riser bar meaning that it was only 3 foot above the bath, fine if you're a midget but no use if you're of average height, minor things but they should have been addressed when the room was cleaned.
On the morning we went for breakfast the restaurant was busy and we had to sit in the bar for ten minutes until a table became available, not something we have ever had to do in previous hotel stays. I appreciate these things are only minor so do not let it put you off staying at the hotel.
My biggest complaint was once the hissing tap was fixed I was charged £4.40 for a pint of Guiness...how can that price be justified??...not many were consumed at that price!!
All in all, minor problems aside, we had a very nice stay and would use the hotel again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was very pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay with us finding your bedroom and Molten's Hot Rock restaurant to meet your expectations and thoroughly enjoying your evening meal.

We can warmly recommend our hotel beauty spa to all our guests and I was very pleased to read that your wife enjoyed her treatments and fount the beauty therapists helpful.

I was disappointed to read that you did experience a few smaller issues while staying with us please accept our sincere apology and assurances that we have addressed the concerns that you raised. We regularly compare our bar prices with other 4 star hotels in our area to make sure that we are competitive and offer better value which we have found during our last comparison, however I have shared your comments with our bar manager who will take this into account.

It was truly a pleasure to read your review and I would like to thank you for all the very useful feedback you have given us, we are all looking forward to your next visit where I am confident you will have a truly hassle free stay,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed in a few hotels in Milton Keynes and this is the best by far. Not the closest to the town but a cheap cab or even cheaper no 4 bus from MK central. Great facility's and the food is better than most restaurants. Made my time away from home that little bit easier.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

My team and I would like to thank you for your 5 star review it was truly a pleasure to read your feedback and I was especially pleased to read that we help making the time spent away from home a little easier. As a returning guest to Milton Keynes I am very pleased to read that you have chosen our hotel to be your first choice.

My team and I all look forward to your next visit and should there be anything we can assist with during your stay do not hesitate to contact us by pressing "2424" on the in-room dedicated line guest line,

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hotel is clean and tidy. The food is of a good standard. What make the difference at this hotel is their staff, particularly on reception. They are first class and couldn't be any more helpful, which isn't always the case in hotels.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and the 5 star rating that you have given us. I was very pleased to read that as a returning guest you find our bedrooms to exceed your expectations and have enjoyed our restaurant, however what I was even happier to read was that you have found our team to be helpful and deliver a high level of service as I agree this is what makes the difference in any hotel.

Thank you for your feedback and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel,

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip. This is my fourth stay in Milton Keynes in five weeks and this is by far the best hotel I've stayed in yet!

The hotel was lovely, the rooms were spacious and modern. The bathroom was nice and big and very clean (double shower!) and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Iron, tea/coffee, hairdryer, bottled water and spare towels available in the room, not all of which are available in other hotels in the local area.

The food in the restaurant was outstanding, I ordered the steak which was cooked to perfection and the breakfast was great.

Very friendly staff on reception and in the restaurant.

My only criticism (small one) would be to have a different room as my room was situated directly next to the double doors leading to the bedrooms which were quite noisy when other guests were walking in and out,

I will definitely be returning to this hotel again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us, it was truly a pleasure to read your comments and I was very pleased that you had a enjoyable time with us. I must agree with you that our beds are outstanding and we do pride ourselves on having the best beds in Milton Keynes, also I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your evening meal and breakfast the following morning.

I have taken note of the issue you reported with the noisy doors and our maintenance engineer have attended this and rectified the problem.

Again thank you for your feedback and we all hope to see you again soon,

Mads Nielsen

Been to Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill? Share your experiences!