“Never had a bad meal here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Portsmouth Arms, Hatch Warren

The Portsmouth Arms, Hatch Warren
Hatch Warren Lane, Hatch Warren, Basingstoke RG22 4RA, England (Formerly The Portsmouth Arms)
+44 1256 334036
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Portsmouth Arms, Hatch Warren is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 158 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Brew Pub, Bar, British, English
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Never had a bad meal here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We go to this pub all the time, and have never had a bad meal in 7 years. The staff are friendly, good choices for kids and we like having a local pub we can take our dog to. Puds are always worth being naughty for!

Have gone here with friends, for work, as a family and just the two of us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Diabolical!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Absolutely appalling! Cheap nasty food, rude bar staff, overpriced and ice cream served in HOT bowls. The Manager shouting at his staff about the service before closing the kitchen due to his embarrassment was the pinnacle of the evening. Definitely wont be coming again!!! The beer was ok though apparently!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have been here quite a few times in the past and the food has always been pretty good. I went here again on 6/6 for my birthday and found the menu has changed so I presume it is under new management. I pre-booked my table so no problems there. Myself and my sister arrived later than the others who had already been given the menu. Having previously reviewed the web I saw that they had a two dine for £20 sharing menu where you shared a starter, had two mains and shared a pudding. My friend had not been offered this menu so I asked for it and most of us ended up having this menu because for my part the choice was better and it was a good deal. I had pate to start very nice with plenty of pate and some crusty bruschetta type bread to accompany it, we then both had scampi and chips of witch there was plenty, For pudding we shared a very tasty crumble which came with two individual jugs of custard. So although the choice was more limited than it used to be, the food we had was very tasty and I would go again. The only thing that let them down initially was that they forgot to send the order through to the kitchen so our food was a bit late, Jokingly I said to the manager who had apologised, that as its my birthday then that has to be worth a free round of drinks to which he laughed and said that was a swear word. Then maybe 10 minutes later the waiter came back and said I believe you all need a free round of drinks and we did get a free round. What a lovely gesture! The location of this pub may be on an estate of a road but it ia pretty looking pub with plenty of room and plenty of outside space and parking

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Lovely lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a fantastic find this was for us! On a long day of travel in our motorhome we stumbled across this lovely pub on our way to Winchester. Great parking (a real must for first time motor homers!) a lovely really 'English' menu, plenty of options on the kids menu and a great playground out the back where we could take our drinks and sit with a clear close view of the kids letting off some steam. When our food arrived it was a similarly pleasant suprise. The Award Winning pie and Mini Classic Pies we chose were fantasic, our kids meals were also lovely and fresh (obviously not straight out of a box in the freezer which they really appreciated!) The Chicken and Ham Hock pie was absolutely delicious! A real treat! Great pastry, perfectly seasoned creamy filling! All you can ask for! A great experience, thank you!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Ticks all the boxes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Have been popping in for after work drink and the atmosphere is always good and the staff efficient and friendly. It's a lovely place inside and out plenty of room and always spotlessly clean. Unlike a certain other reviewer I like the dogs in the bar area and they are always well behaved.
Recently had a meal and I had mushroom starter which was gorgeous followed by fish pie which I was dubious about ordering as usually most places disappoint but not here big flakes of fish and plenty of it rather than usually it's all potato and sauce so very impressed. My partner had soup again he said very tasty and a steak which was cooked to perfection so very happy people. Really relaxing place to visit and the main reason we tried it to start with was the Badger Ales.

• Visited May 2013