“Superb food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Berkshire
“Superb food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Once we tasted the food from Mango Grove, we haven't wanted to try any other local Indian restaurant. The quality is consistently good and portion size generous, and we have never had a bad dish (and there have been many!).
My review is based on the food from Mango Grove, as the service and restaurant itself can sometimes leave a bit to be desired, but we usually have the food delivered.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Tasty, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Really like this place, although better for take out than for eating in - it does not have an atmosphere. Good unfussy service, good unfussy food.

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
“If this is meant to be the finest Indian in Basingstoke, I dread to think what the worst is like”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is a great place to go if you just want to catch up with your friends, but not eat or drink anything. I went there with my friends. One was celebrating a birthday and new job. Got there at 20:15, Friday night. We were asked to sit and wait for a table, despite half the restaurant being empty!
Twenty minutes later, as more people were being seated (no reservations) except us, we asked were we being forgotten. Of course there was a "no, I was just coming to you" .
Finally seated 20:35. Another 10 mins went by (after drinks being ordered before they arrived) . Drinks were muddled up by server, so consequently, the mixers got put into the wrong spirit!
Poppadoms arrived another 5 mins later and our main course didn't arrive until 21:50, only after threatening to walk out.
Food was hot, but by then your appetite has gone and both the birthday girl and I left half of our meal. I asked for mushrooms in curry, no meat and got the tiniest slithers of button mushrooms, thinner than a five pence piece. My curry was not a lot different to a thick soup and it was very runny, but lovely flavoured.
At the time of the bill I asked to see the manager, the server said they would take off our drinks (they hadn't asked us if we wanted a second round when we were eating), said they would pass message on and get him to come and speak to me. We got our coats on, eventually the bill arrived, but no Manager! When questioned "where was he?" we were replied with "he's not here at the moment but please have another round of drinks free".
By this point we had our coats on ready to leave.
Disgusting service.
There is always management around, even if its middle management, obviously customer service is not one of their strong points, food was disappointing, and the servers knew how to avoid you, they walked around a lot, everywhere but near you. We weren't the only table this happened to, it was every customer in the half full, restaurant!
On the plus side the place was well lit and clean, tables presented beautifully, the onion bhajis were nice and I got to catch up with my friends.
To top my night off, the curry sauce was so runny that some spilt on my brand new top, I had to be out in town with my spoilt top. Went home early, put it straight in wash and came out still stained. GUTTED!

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Best indian in Basingstoke!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

absolutely amazing atmosphere with delicious food....staff were very friendly and chef is brilliant! the owner is an amazing guy....loved the whole experience definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a delicious indian in a lovely environment!!!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Basingstoke
“A perfect all round Indian take away and restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We have eaten in the restaurant twice and yes it did feel empty,not that,that bothered me as the food was beautiful. Staff no more welcome than an others. I think some people are up themselves to be honest. Had numerous takeaways and maybe had one thing missing out of lots of orders, whose perfect all the time, the food though again was beautiful and the price was very reasonable. Did opt for delivery now and again but do check on delivery time as they can quote upto an hour, instead though I just picked it up within 25 mins to save the wait. I can't fault this place.

• Visited December 2011