“Complacent” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 151 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Street Food
Description: Resounding with traditional charm, this is the culmination of the owners' vision for a Thai restaurant supported by knowledgeable staff, and enhanced by an enticing menu and elegant interior. The setting of this modest 2-floor building, dating back to a time around the 16th century, has proven to be ideal for The Lime Leaf's needs and feel. Still retaining plenty of its traditional elements, these complement the bright and vibrant new interiors well. The menu offers an excellent selection of Thai cuisine, featuring familiar classics to a range of lesser-known regional dishes, and all are prepared using the finest ingredients, sure to tempt any palate. Children are also welcome and able to eat at half price from the Express Lunch and Early Bird menus.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Complacent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were once regular visitors to the Lime Leaf. We had the Pad Thai with Prawns, a Red Chicken Curry, Chicken with Cashew nuts and Egg Fried Rice. Washed down with a bottle of Dry White.
Once upon a I would have loved this, but on this occasion it was fairly average. The dishes were served in "Treble"quick time, no sooner had I placed the order than it was on the table. Perhaps a little too quick. The chicken in the dishes used to be all cut very finely and presented very well. Now the pieces were cut in all sorts of large chunks and do not look so appetising. The Pad Thai was about the best of the three mains, but was a bit light on the prawns. The meals are all overpowered by being far too sweet, not fragrant sweet! Is it loads of sugar going in?
All the food seems a bit rushed nowadays and has lost some of its quality.
The staff are all very pleasant and it is a nice space.
It is the only proper Thai restaurant in the town centre and maybe a bit of Complacency has set in. Perhaps another one is needed to bring it back to where it once was.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
David W, Owner at The Lime Leaf, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We were grateful for this detailed review which I have discussed with the chef. Sugar is added to some dishes to balance the sharpness of other ingredients. It is all about getting the balance right. It looks as if we may have got it wrong on this occasion. We are certainly not complacent and aim to maintain and where necessary improve on standards. We therefore take specific feedback such as this seriously.

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
“One of the Best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I eat out a fair amount at various restaurants in the south east. We love good food. Our son is a chef himself so we probably have high standards. The lime leaf is our favourite restaurant in Basingstoke . It provides excellent food a released atmosphere and an attentive service.

I am trying to try the entire menu, but I do have my favourites. In particular The three flavoured fish and weeping tiger (steak ) I would highly recommend. I tend to the chefs as experts in spice: The food is fully flavoured and while there are hot dishes - they do not confuse heat with flavour. The Tofu dishes , to me , are great example of their ability to generate flavours. On this occasion we had a party of 7 and so we could try quite a few dishes and cocktails.

When you arrive at the lime leaf you are welcomed and the service is both friendly and efficient. To me, it's like stepping into a thai culture rather than a british restaurant. It is set in a 16th century and the restaurant upstairs is low key lighting and filled with thai ornaments which add to the atmosphere without compromising the historical building. A lovely interesting decor. The staff are keen to please and are very friendly which makes for a relaxing evening. To do this consistently over a number of years is a feat that is very hard to achieve.

I tend to book in advance and give them some info , about the occasion - that way they are forewarned and I have not been disappointed.

I see this as one of the best restaurants in Basingstoke.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

After reading previous reviews we went to the Lime Leaf with high expectations of a good Thai meal. Unfortunately whether it was just a bad day at the office or standards have slipped we were left less than impressed. Microwaved rice and a sizzling main course that had no sizzle were the two main gripes. When we brought this to the attention of the staff we were assured that they always microwave the rice and they can't manage to get the sizzling dishes to sizzle all the way upstairs...anyway we wouldn't say don't go but I would advise that you set your expectations accordingly!

Visited September 2013
“Never had a disappointing visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The food here is so so good and the staff who work there are lovely and very enthusiastic. The first time we visited we were a little unsure as our food came out really quickly, but I have sat on the table that you can see into the kitchen door a few times now and can see it all being freshly made. I would go as far as to say it is the best restaurant in Basingstoke which is full of chain restaurants both at Festival Place and the old town. It is nice to support local business, which do such as great job at what they do! If you like authentic Thai food, then this is a must in Basingstoke.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fast and reasonable food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had no problem getting a table with no reservation on a Friday night; this would normally set alarm bells ringing, but it's a quiet part of town anyway. Service was fast, and the food came out extremely quickly. Taste wise, it wasn't the best Thai food I've ever had, but I certainly have no complaints.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
David W, Owner at The Lime Leaf, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We are greatful for this review. I would just point out It was unusually quiet for a Friday. You would nomally need to book to be sure of getting a table on a Friday or Saturday night.