“Excellent food, service lacking” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Asian fusion
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service lacking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked a table for 10 here for my boyfriend's birthday meal. A few of our guests had to cancel and so on arrival we were made to wait while they changed our table to fit the numbers. As it was, 7 of us were stuffed onto a table in the corner of the restaurant that would just about suit 6 people. When one person's meal can come in 3 bowls this was obviously unsuitable - and a little disappointing - especially as we knew there was a table for 10 available. I feel a little bit more effort could've been made for a birthday party, spending around £100.

The food was undeniably good, the menu was interesting, and the prices were reasonable and comparable to similar restaurants in the area. Everybody in our group was very happy with the food.

Something which I cannot stand though, is the mandatory service charge of 10% that is added to the bill for supposedly all customers. For this reason alone I will not go back to this restaurant as it is my pleasure to tip waiters for good service - and Sizzling Palate take this pleasure from me.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“''DELICIOUS''”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Been there a few times. Waiting time in the restaurant is less at lunch times, it is slightly pricey but the food is delicious with a variety of sizzlers on offer the chicken tikka one is a personal favorite, that comes with Noodles rice and stir fried vegetables. the chicken shwarzain is not very nice though, when we got it we felt it was a waste of money & tasted like rubber. But the chicken tikka is amazing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Definitely sizzled”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Heard about this restaurant a while back and Finally went today and oh boy was I satisfied. So glad I went and didn't listen to the mixed reviews from friends that kept me away. Definitely recommend to others and will be going again. Seated quickly. Good service. Busy but still niice atmosphere. And food was fab. Very tasty. Plenty of extra sauce given to accommodate the different taste buds. Bit pricy but plenty given so can share between to. Well done u definitely got me sizzling.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Time and time again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have been a regular at the restaurant since a recent discovery! and having read some of the reviews on this site thought it only fair to pop one on myself to give an open and honest view for what is now a favourite of ours!

Yes this restaurant is busy and maybe sometimes you have to wait if you haven't booked a table, but I think that speaks volumes in itself. I for one don't like eating in an empty restaurant and love the atmosphere!! We found we had to wait for a table (sometimes in a long queue!) but got wise and now book in advance which helps feed rumbling tummies!

As for the food, we love it and can't complain. There is lots of choice depending on personal taste so you can have a curry if you fancy but we normally go for what this place is best known for, its sizzlers. Although the idea is quite simple, they do it really well and we always feel very satisfied and full! I've tried to recreate this thing at home (ha!) and also tried a few other places that do a similar thing but they don't seem to be anywhere near as good. After trial and error, we find that all in all, its worth what you pay for compared to most places. After all, you get what you pay for!

We've always found the restaurant to be very clean. It has a contemporary style with an upbeat atmosphere. I see all types of people from young couples, groups to families. All in all, I would recommend a trip and the sizzler with a cocktail is a must try!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good things come to those who wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I visited SP with a group of 5 friends, we booked a table, arrived early but had to wait around 20/30 minutes to be seated. The service isnt great as its always busy but the food definately makes up for it. I ordered steak with chips and noodes (i dont think alot of people on here know that you can choose whether you want, rice, noodles or chips or a combination of any 2) the food imo was perfect, it is a bit pricey but I'd definately go again.

• Visited September 2012