“Good hotel, centrally located” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Lancashire
“Good hotel, centrally located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Room was roomy enough and well enough equipped without being exceptional. handy location just on edge of main shopping area but easy to drive to and with a lot of parking. Very efficient check in/out. Was relatively cheap and would use again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Thanks very much for your comments. I was very pleased to hear that everything went well during your stay and hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Dieter Koch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

I came here with a leisure group and first impressions were good. However no-one could replace a light bulb or battery in the safe in my room. I changed to another room eventually but it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. The cleaning staff were great but let down by maintenance issues.
Very expensive bar staffed by untrained but willing bar staff, bought me red when I asked for sauvignon blanc.
Lack of organization meant meal service tended to the shambolic. Young duty manager on last evening and next morning working his socks off to feed our party and a business group in adjacent suite. Well done he!

• Stayed October 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you found the Housekeeping Team to be great and that the Duty Manager worked hard to accommodate you. I have noted all your concerns and have passed them on to the relevant departments for action.

We have recently recruited extra staff members who are currently being trained to cover a very busy Christmas period, which starts for us at the beginning of November. Please accept my apologies that you were served the incorrect drink this should have been checked by an experienced staff member before service.

I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Thanks again for bringing these matters to our attention and I hope this will not stop you from choosing to stay with us again in the future.

Godshill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Spent 3 nights here, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Reception was great, room was ready. Small problems with room, bulbs out and AC not working. Maintenance Man Bob was an absolute diamond, nothing was too much trouble, everything sorted quickly but couldn't get AC to work, so he immediately orgainised a room change, and helped us move next door. Well done Holiday Inn you have a treasure there, and many thanks to Bob.

I would add that I found the room a little 'snug' for a Holiday Inn, more 'express' size. Kept bumping into the basin when walking into the bathroom.

There was a wedding reception Saturday evening, no problems with noise. Sunday there was a Wedding 'Show' only problem there was that the Car Hire Company used the only 2 disabled parking bays to display their cars.

Breakfast comes highly recommended, plenty of choice, and hot food was just that Hot!!.

Did not use Lounge/Bar/Room Service so cannot comment, but all in all I found this hotel superb and would definitely recomend. Despite its ' City Centre location, noise was not a problem for us.

My one gripe - I booked online and a week prior to my visit I need to add one extra night. I did this too online, and somehow ended up with my original booking + the extra day and another completely new booking for all 3 nights. Obviously I did something wrong, so I telephoned the hotel immediately, and when I spoke with Reservations I did find the person I spoke with rather 'abrupt' firstly telling me that I would have to book the extra day seperately and that my booked rate (for the erroneous 2nd booking) would have to be paid for even if I cancelled, but that on this occasion she would allow me to cancel, although she really should not!). Must admit I felt somewhat apprehensive until I arrived and found all was ok with my reservation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Thank you for your review following your recent 3 night stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that despite a few issues with your room when you arrived we were able to rectify things for you and that you had an enjoyable stay. It is always pleasing from my point of view when a Team Member has made a difference and I have passed your kind comments on, especially to Bob.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your constructive feedback which is very much appreciated as it helps us to focus on what is important to you. All comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests and we have recently introduced complimentary ear plugs for our guests who are disturbed by Town Centre noise based on feedback received.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Woking
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Have stayed at this hotel several times when taking our mother to visit relatives and friends in her old home town of Bolton. It is very well situated near the centre of town. Every time we have had a problem with our booking. This time the duty receptionist told us that we should have booked direct with the hotel rather than online as then we could have had our choice of rooms (as I had requested on the booking confirmation I brought with me). I said that surely it was up to us who we booked with and that the hotel must have arrangements with agencies to pass on information but apparently not.

We went to breakfast the next day and the duty manager said that we were not down on his list for inclusive breakfast. I again got our my confirmation booking and showed him that our booking was inclusive of breakfast. For a full 10 minutes he proceeded to question us about our booking and wanted to take away the booking sheet to reception but I told him I had already shown them. By that time we felt awkward and I said did he mind if we now had our breakfast as we were here on a few days break and he was spoiling our day.

We sent for room service on the second day as mum was tired. We ordered jacket potato with bacon and cheese. When it arrived there was only one knife and fork and the cheese was virtually not existant -one sliver on top of the bacon and the potato was almost cold. Anyway after a few minutes the room service man came back and asked us to pay for the meal by cash as he couldnt put it on our bill as our type of booking wouldnt allow it. At the time I showed him the potatoes and asked if we could have some more cheese - didnt mention they were cold as I felt sorry for him - he was only young and very pleasant (Daniel I think). He brought a little ramakin size amount of cheese up !! By this time he looked quite exhausted and had to go down again to bring my change up !

The restaurant staff need to be a bit more cheerful and attentive - once we got asked if we wanted a drink of tea or coffee and the other days none of the staff seemed interested. It would make a big difference if they were a bit more friendly.

The bar staff were friendly and helpful. The kitchen staff kept walking around at night with their dirty tea towels hanging out the back of their trousers which wasnt very nice - there were two wedding parties on while we were there too and I am sure this doesnt look good for the hotel. The manager needs to organise the staff better.

Anyway to finish off I reluctantly went over to check out at reception wondering what would happen and the young lady was very pleasant and duly told me that I didnt have to pay as I had already paid on the Thursday I arrived ! I said that that was news to me as the receptionist didnt ask me if I wanted to pay or even told me that I was paying up front for the three nights stay. So I looked at the receipt and realised they had now charged me VAT on top of my original amount which was supposed to be all inclusive. The reception manager was called and after about 20 minutes he managed to sort it out and refund the £60 taken out of my account without my consent on the first night we arrived.

A lesson to be learnt is that if staying at this hotel make sure you bring printed booking confirmation with you or you could be in trouble - or debt :) :)

• Stayed September 2010
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Thank you for your review from which I was disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered during your stay.

I have investigated each issue with the relevant department heads concerned and would apologise for the service you received which was not up to the required standard and has highlighted some training issues which need to be addressed.

This is clearly not up to the required standard of service which should have been afforded to you and I apologise for any inconvenience or embarrassment this may have caused. We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that these issues will not stop you from choosing to stay with us again in the future.

Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel - helpful staff, perfectly adequate room, breakfast very good, bar food good enough. Nice, spare, light environment.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Thanks for your comments. Pleased to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the Hotel, the nice light environment and that you enjoyed your breakfast and bar food. It is always pleasing to me when our staff get a mention so was delighted to hear your found them to be helpful. I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

I found the room clean and in great condition. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet and a good size.

There were plenty of spaces in the carpark when I arrived . Check in was fine, staff were friendly.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Thanks for your review. I was pleased to hear that you found the bed very comfortable and that you were happy with your room. I was also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly. I hope you will choose to stay with us again when you are next in the Bolton area.

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Me and my wife decided to book this hotel to stay in on our wedding night, as she used to work for the company. Little did we know or expect the farce that was to come when we arrived.

We got to the reception to be 'welcomed' by the reception manager, who quite simply said whats your name. Bearing in mind we were both still dressed from the wedding, my wife in her dress, no mention of how was your day or any such niceties. When we gave him our details he looked on his system to try to find our reservation.

5 minutes later and no mention to us what he was doing, he decided to tell us that there was no booking and did we have a reservation number with us, as the only way to find a booking is with a reference number.. I advised him that it was my wife's mother who had placed the booking,so I rang her to let them know what was happening. Even more infuriating another guest walked up gave her name and instantly he handed over the key, no reference needed.

My in-laws spoke to the reception manager on the phone who just kept repeating I need a reference number, to which they replied we have been at our daughters wedding all day and don't carry about all our paperwork with us. The conversation ended with him saying see if you can access your e-mails to get the reference number and I will call you back in 2minutes.

The manager to his credit did continue to look for the reservation on the system, and eventually found it. However this had been cancelled even though the room was paid for in March. When we asked him why it had been cancelled he wouldn't give an answer and insinuated it must of been us who had cancelled it, and also said no money would have been talking out of the account. He then said he would see what he could do for us.

20 minutes pass and he hasn't spoke to me my wife or called back the inlaws which he had previously promised to do within 2 minutes. I then decided to take matters into my own hands and rang my wife's father. As soon as the manager saw what I was doing he then decided to shout accross the reception to me to let me know what was going on. I politely asked him to wait 5 minutes as I was now trying to sort it out myself due to his lack of action and incompetence. He continued to shout over reception to me, so I simply had to tell him to go away for 5 minutes and then come to speak to me.

After I had finished my conversation, he just repeated himself saying he couldn't find out why the room was cancelled. My wife then pointed out that the only reason we booked with holiday inn was due to the fact she used to work for the company and believed they always gave a good service. To which he abruptly replied 'if you used to work for us you should now how all our systems work then'

By this time we were both getting tired and fed up with the situation, and asked him to book us into a hotel elsewhere, as they hadn't even offered my wife a glass of water in this time. So after 10 minutes or so of looking on his computer the manager made his first phone call of the night. We managed to get a room at the far more reputable company premier Inn, and found there staff very welcoming.

This is however not where the problems ended. As we had come from our wedding we had very little money on us, and after our private Jaguar had taken us to the holiday inn we were left there stranded. The manager did book us a local taxi, but this was not ideal as with most wedding dresses my wifes was not small, and a local taxi is not always the cleanest mode of transport to travel in. When we informed us of our money situation and asked if the hotel as a good will gesture would be willing to pay for the taxi he bluntly replied no that is not our policy.

But then surprisingly offered to cancel another guest's room and put is in their room and make them go to a hotel. Now as both me and my have a conciencious we were not willing to do this, and found it shocking that he would happily cancel someone else's room and ruin there night as well.

After bringing this up in the following weeks with the hotel, they have refunded what was paid for the hotel, but insist on a receipt for the taxi before they will refund that. They said the problem came about due to a 'gremlin in the system' so are basically refusing to admit any fault or take any blame. There only offer of compensation was a free night at their hotel with a meal included. We have politely rejected this as that will in no way make up for the fact that the holiday inn ruined our wedding night, which we will never have again, and will this is in no way satisfactory compensation.

To review my experience all I need to say is terrible and incompetent staff who are always ready to pass the buck but not take responsibility and apologise for their mistakes. Never again will I set foot in a holiday inn!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Please accept my apologies if you felt the action we have taken was not appropriate and I quote from the letter we sent “please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable level of service which was extended to you”. A full investigation has taken place and appropriate action and staff training has been given. The technical problems we were experiencing resulted in a full closure of our systems and an outside technician resolving the issues, but this in no way excuses the unprofessional and unsympathetic manner in which you were treated.

As you state in your review a full refund was made together with the £80 cost of your Jaguar. It is our normal accounts procedure that we ask for receipts to be provided for any extra expense incurred which we feel is reasonable and necessary for our audit trail.

As a gesture of goodwill and to give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the Hotel and to show you the normal high level of service we aspire to, we offered you a complimentary one night stay inclusive of dinner and breakfast. We also offered a complimentary dinner for two to your father-in-law who made the arrangements for you.

Obviously I am disappointed that you have rejected our offer and that you feel that we have not apologised or taken responsibility for the level of service you received and if you would like discuss the matter further with me please contact me on 01204 879988 or e-mail me on gm.hibolton@qmh-hotels.com.

Dieter Koch

Been to Holiday Inn Bolton Centre? Share your experiences!