“Good location but not as grand as title suggests” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bolton Whites Hotel

You added Bolton Whites Hotel to your Saves list
Bolton Whites Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   De Havilland Way | Horwich, Bolton BL6 6SF, England (Formerly De Vere Whites Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good location but not as grand as title suggests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed here as my wife was seeing Westlife at the MEN area and we were travelling to Scotland the next day. We booked on the day and got a room for £60. It was a fiver more then the premier inn accross the road so i thought I might as well give it a try. Check in was rubbish. The women was not interested in being there and just threw a form at me to sign and did not ask about breakfast or dinner. I am not a fan of been asked twenty questions at check in but I at least expect the basics. The room was a decent size and the bed was huge. Everything was clean but slightly dated. It was a nice quiet room and tucked away from all the function rooms which was nice. I would not have paid the full advertised price but for £60 it was more than adequate. It is in a good location for accessing Manchester and I am sure it would be great if you are watching a football match there. I would stay there again but only if the price is comparable to the travel inn.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This was my family’s fourth stay at the De Vere, I was attending a conference and the family came along for the ride. We have always enjoyed our stays here and had great rooms, this time there was a problem with the room and we had not been given a family room but we spend the first night in a double room with a camp bed for my daughter. Next day we were moved to a suite so that sorted the problem out and the staff were great at fixing this problem. We did notice that the standard of toiletries has slipped since previous years and we made this known to the management team and they admitted that this had happened and came from head office.
The breakfast once again was great with great staff in the breakfast room we did not eat dinner in the hotel so cannot comment on this.
Once again we did use the swimming pool which was clean and up to the usually standard.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Waited 25 minutes from ordering dinner to being served starter of smoked salmon, then 20 minutes between main and dessert. Dessert was ice-cream, which had started to melt by the time it reached me. There were only 4 diners in the Brasserie! Waitress was very chatty and her service was good. Breakfast was not as good as previous years - poor choice of fresh fruit, no cold meat & cheese and only sliced bread. No offer made of poached eggs or any other alternative. Was cold in bed - duvet was thin, so doubled the king size - then slept well! No bright light in room to work by. Business rate quoted is £10 per night cheaper in June than April.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I had a really nice stay here. The room was a good size and comfortable. The health club ( no extra charge) was good and realxing, it has swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi. The staff, especially the breakfast waitress, were very friendly and helpful. Would recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I stayed at the De Vere Whites hotel at the Reebok Stadium on the evening of 1st Feb.

When I checked into my room I found that I was given a twin room, when a double had been requested. The decor in my room was very dated and looked very similar to a nursing home, is room 221 a disabled room? As there were handles all around the bathroom with serveral red cords around the room. I don't have a problem with being in a disabled room, but reception could have mentioned it, also, to get to my room from the 2nd floor I had to go down some stairs, so there was no need for that room to be a disabled room.

I ordered room service on the Monday evening, and had to order a bowl of chips to get my order over £15 for no tray charge, after checking the menu, I needn't have ordered the chips, as my original choice was over £15. When the chips arrived they were covered with tin foil (not very professional)! There weren't any condiments on my tray.

When I checked out I paid by credit card, but was not told by reception that there was a £2.50 charge, I only noticed the sign on the desk after I had paid.

At breakfast I was told to find a table, but there weren't any set and had to ask a member of staff for some cutlery, I was not offered any tea of coffee either.

For the price of the room, I think next time I will stay in the nearby Premier Lodge.

I wrote a complaint e-mail to the hotel while I was waiting for my coffee (which didn't arrive), I am yet to receive a response.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Lancaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Came to this hotel on a £19 deal so didn't expect too much - very pleasantly surprised! Our room looked out on to the Bolton Wanderers pitch, this meant we couldn't open windows but what a surreal view! (There were air conditioning and temperature controls in the room so window opening not really required). Room itself was small/standard, and used as a Box on matchdays, with a well-stocked hospitality tray. As we didn't eat at the hotel, the only service we had was from the receptionist who was very friendly and helpful.

Location perfect for us as we came to do some shopping (next to a retail park), eat out (selection was McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Nandos, Pizza Hut, Harvester pub next to the nearby Premier Inn and the hotel's own Brasserie and Restaurant), and enjoy the leisure facilities at the hotel. There's also a Vue cinema and Hollywood Bowl on the retail park so plenty to do. We went to the Harvester pub and enjoyed tasty food there (free unlimited salad bar with every main meal). The leisure facilities in the hotel were done well - free lockers, towels provided, good size changing rooms. There was a nice size pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and sunroom (didn't try this).

All in all, great value.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Arrived at the hotel very late, good easy parking in front of the hotel, and you can't really miss the hotel it being part of the BWFC Reebok Stadium!

I was given a room on the second floor, right at the end of the corridors, I assume that because I'd been given a corporate discounted rate (paid by my company) I wasn't given a particularly good location, certainly not the pitch view room I had hoped for, the view was the car park and a scrap yard!!

Not sure why but i was put in a disabled room which i guess meant I had a slightly larger room, although, it was more 'wide' than long, it was on a corner pitch so just had a strange lay out and didn't feel particularly solid, just like they'd used up a corner of the hotel by putting a flimsy wall up (it was room 338 by the way if you want to avoid). Because it was after 10pm when i got to the room and after a 4 hour drive the last thing i wanted to do was make a fuss and move rooms, even if the twin beds meant i didn't have the luxury of a big bed and i wasn't particularly enamoured by the room itself. The true test came when i closed the door and could hear entire conversations had by guests and staff as they walked down the corridor, could hear every single footstep, every word uttered and certainly every time a trolley or room service was being delivered. Speaking of which I ordered a sandwich and chips at 9.40 and was told it would be 20 mins, at 10.40 it finally arrived, wasn't bad food but fairly average and the lemonade i ordered was just soda water and the tea was cold, didn't care by that point was too tired to eat or drink!! i really really wish i'd walked the two minutes across the road and gone to one of the fast food restaurants there!!

Thankfully the corridor did quieten down at about midnight and i got a good nights sleep, bathroom was clean but not particularly impressed with the shower curtain, very tired looking and an old fashioned and unhygienic item to have in a modern hotel. Bathroom was very big due to it being a disabled room, good shower and big bath but felt only one step up from a travelodge or premier travel inn so far as amenities go. It was all there and all quite clean just a bit dated and stained and far from modern......

I must say i'm slightly disappointed with the room as it has lessened my impression of the hotel which from the outside looks really modern and luxurious, I was expecting so much more from inside. Having stayed at the macdonald manchester the week before I have had my expectation set very high now and this really didn't come up to scratch.

Breakfast was good selection of hot and cold foods and cereals but again nothing above average, did the job nicely and the staff were very friendly.

I had hoped that the De Vere name would live up to the impression it had given me but I'd say its a pretty average hotel, good location and nice staff but if I'd paid for it myself I'd be making a complaint to the hotel itself and would begrudge paying the amount charged.

Hope this helps someone :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Bolton Whites Hotel? Share your experiences!