“Dreadful Food.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bolton Whites Hotel

You added Bolton Whites Hotel to your Saves list
Bolton Whites Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   De Havilland Way | Horwich, Bolton BL6 6SF, England (Formerly De Vere Whites Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Attended a works Christmas party here , Rooms okay , bar inside the hotel was fairly decent but the function was outside and 300 yards walk away in the rain which isn't ideal at these rates.The Food , oh the dreadful food - there is mention of Michelin stars in the blurb about the Heathcote Catering , well , I would rather eat the tyres than the muck presented to us - Goosnargh turkey was rolled Turkey , grey coloured and odd-smelling , the spuds were piped ( two kinds , one had been shown the oven for 60 seconds) one carrot and some sprout shavings. Needless to say I didn't eat any of it and had to walk to the supermarket (more un-jacketed rain) for a pork pie and some crisps.
Breakfast back inside the hotel proper was half decent apart from the lack of service and the kitchen staff using the conveyor-toaster in the dining room for (presumably) the room service trays (don't you have more than one toaster?annoying to wait 10 mins for toast) even then it only worked on one side, taking twice the time and belching out smoke when people put bread through twice but didn't turn it over.

All in all not a great experience , and a really poor dining one at that.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking the time to review Bolton Whites Hotel on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry that you were unhappy with your food. We have received some very positive feedback and so this comes as a surprise, we would be most grateful if you could contact our Operations Manager regarding your comments so she can discuss with you further.

I do hope we hear from you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Dartford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst attending a Sunday Christening but took in the Saturday football match as well with lunch in the Bolton Wanderers hospitality suite.

We had upgraded to a room with french windows overlooking the pitch, which is well worth the extra money. Watching the stadium start to fill up on the Saturday is interesting, especially when a funeral party scattered a deceased fan's ashes by the side of the pitch after a short ceremony. the only thing forgot to ask is why the french windows are locked shut without a key - I can see why on a match day, but, all the time? also be aware that heavy lights shine on the pitch 24 hours a day after the match to make the grass grow. the curtains are thick, though.

Comfortable large room and pleasant once we worked out why it was blowing out cold air all the time. Bathroom not huge, but all clean and OK. Huge public areas in the hotel and so much car parking outside. There seem to be plenty of chain restaurants in the complexes nearby and a (24 hour?) Tesco just up the road.

The wrong newspapers came on the Saturday - surely this is a basic to get right - I saw her write down the correct ones when we arrived.

Breakfast was OK, nothing special except lovely Bury black sausage - my favourite. We didn't have dinner but reasonable room service snacks on Saturday night came with a sting in the tale : I couldn't believe that a £3 charge was slapped on for delivery when it is not mentioned on the menu (after close examination). Its not the money, its the principle.

I went down to the bar/cafe area for a snack on the Sunday night to read my book in peace away from my wife watching Strictly/X Factor/I'm a Celebrity on TV and ordered a caesar salad. Very cold down there on the mezzanine floor; the waiter told me the heating was full on - he said 33 degrees but that's nonsense - then "maybe its the doors opening downstairs" but the air con was blowing cold everywhere you tried to sit. The caesar salad was fine, but it was supposed to be a chicken caesar and there were no croutons either. Due to the cold, these omissions didn't permeate my brain (it was an enthralling book) until, after I had finished, the waiter then came rushing up, told me about the missing items, and apologised. I was offered, and took, a free glass of wine.

So, good in parts, but needs to get its act together more.

I'm not a Bolton fan so unless my nephew has any more children to Christen, doubt if we will be coming back.

Room Tip: Pay extra to look out over the Bolton Wanderers pitch
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your recent review on Tripadvisor. The Football Club offer all fans the opportunity to scatter there relatives ashes on the pitch, this is conducted by our Club Chaplain.

The French doors are locked at all times for Health and Safety purposes for all guests and for the Stadium.

I must apologise that you received the wrong newspaper, I will follow this up with our Reception Team. I must also apologise that you got a £3.00 charge. All guests have a £3.00 surcharge regardless if they order bar snacks or meals, I will however look into the issue as to why it wasn't stated on the menu.

I will certainly look into the issue as to why your croutons were not on your Caesar salad.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review Bolton Whites Hotel I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had an amazing night at the Macron Stadium at the weekend, the staff were friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. The food, well what can I say, I have been converted to eating turkey!! the food was absolutely delicious by far the best I have eaten in a long time. From start to finish presentation was at its best and the chocolate brownie was to die for. I shall definitely be returning for another visiting to sample this amazing food.
I would highly recommend this venue and sample the food you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review Bolton Whites Hotel on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to read positive feedback such as yours. I am sure Mr Heathcote and his team will be pleased with your review.

I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Bolton Whites Hotel in the near future.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is great due to the service of the frontdesk people. they are very friendly and helpful.
the rooms a big and with all thje necessary equipment.
if possible you get a room with the view on the football field.
Breakfast is good but could have some more possibilities in different kind of ffod.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view on the field.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking the time to review Bolton Whites Hotel on Tripadvsior. I was pleased that you found our Reception Team helpful and friendly, I will forward you comments onto the team.

Irvine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Whites Hotel is part of the Macron Stadium (Formerly Reebok Stadium) home of the Bolton Wanderers football team in the north west of England.
Some of the rooms overlook the football field from high above.
I found the staff to be friendly and welcoming, the rooms spacious and comfortable and breakfast excellent. Check out was simple and straight forward, takes no time at all.
Almost next door to the hotel is a shopping mall
Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.
I was attending a function at the Platinum Room next door to the hotel and also part of the stadium building so a good choice from that point of view also

Room Tip: I would request a room overlooking the football field even if there is no game on it still offers a...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your recent review on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to read positive comments such as yours. I will forward your comments onto the whole team which I am sure will act as a motivator.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

stayed here for a weekend break with my wife staff were friendly bar staff and reception staff fantastic we will be returning for last game of season for the football package really enjoyed our stay cant wait for may see you then

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Bolton Whites Hotel.

I will look forward to welcoming you back on the last game of the season. If you contact our Reservations Team directly they will be more than happy to make your reservation.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I visited Bolton Whites Hotel this week on business, reception were efficient, quick and friendly.

Hotel room was clean and comfortable. I got a great night’s sleep.

I ate in the restaurant with a colleague and we were very impressed. The staff were professional and attentive. The food was excellent; apparently it is a new menu. I had the chicken liver parfait; my colleague had the cheese soufflé, which looked fantastic. For main course I had the lamb and my colleague had duck. Both too full for dessert we shared a cheese slate, plenty for two. I feel it was great value, 2 courses for £20 and 3 for £25.
There was a good choice at breakfast and the staff again were professional, nothing was too much trouble.

A very pleasant stay and I look forward to the next one.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to read reviews such as yours. I will forward your comments with regards to food to Mr Heathcote who I am sure will be pleased as I am.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to review Bolton Whites Hotel. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Been to Bolton Whites Hotel? Share your experiences!