“One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bolton Whites Hotel

You added Bolton Whites Hotel to your Saves list
Bolton Whites Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   De Havilland Way | Horwich, Bolton BL6 6SF, England (Formerly De Vere Whites Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

From the moment we arrived till the moment we left the staff were excellent. My child was sick in the room and the sheets were changed within 5 minutes at half 3 in the morning. Staff tried to up grade me to a room overlooking the pitch and were very nice about it.

We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel and both were excellent. The pool could be a little warmer but the facilities were more than adequete.

My wife was a little reluctant to go as its attached to the stadium ad she thought it would be all about that, now she cant wait to go back. S

So handy for me coming down from Glasgow as it straight off the motorway and very handy for the nearby Trafford Centre.

Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear pcnelson,

Many thanks for the amazing feedback which you recently left on Tripadvisor,

I am delighted to learn that you found De Vere Venues Whites to be one of the best hotels you have ever stayed in and also found all of my team members to be excellent, in particular with regards to my night team, who changed the sheets of your childs bed at half past three in the morning within five minutes.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the very near future and thank-you for taking the time to provide us with your great feedback.

Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here in mid- August for two nights: my pre-wedding night and my wedding night as we got married at Rivington Hall Barn, which isn't too far away. If you were having or attending a wedding at the venue (which is completely fabulous), then this hotel is well positioned. It'll cost about £15-20 in a taxi.

I had a penthouse room because I needed the space! It consisted of a lounge, bedroom and bathroom and is basically double the size of a standard room. I thought the bathroom in particular was lovely, plenty of space for me and my girls to do our make-up and get ready. The room would probably benefit from a full length mirror- although it does have a long mirrored panel it is made up of two seperate mirrors so you cant quite see properly at the join. After saying that though, its not a big deal and I doubt that the majority of people (non-brides!) would even register that there is no single full length mirror and I would not let this affect my rating.

Although typically for UK hotels, there are no safes in the rooms, you can use that in the office on request as we did.

We did not advise the hotel in advance that we were a wedding party although I think a few things may have given it away (the guests, the cars, the flowers, the dress!) and all staff seemed to make a special effort to be even more pleasant once they were aware of this. Special mention to Chris who served me and my husband complementary bucks fizz with our breakfast the following day and presented us with the cork with a pound in it, which he explained is a tradition in his family - thank you Chris it was very kind and thoughtful.

I had called De Vere in advance to see if they could do any deals for a wedding party based on multiple rooms but I was told that this wasnt the case. This possibly worked out in favour of our guests as a lot of people managed to book through laterooms or booking.com and get significant discounts on standard rooms. Just bare this in mind if you are looking to purchase multiple rooms- keep your eyes peeled, The offers came up a few times over an 7 month period.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Niki R,

Many thanks for the amazing feedback which you recently left on Tripadvisor,

I am delighted to learn that you had a great experience with us and I have thanked Chris for his hospitality on the morning after your wedding!

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future and until then remain with,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here for business early October 2012. I had booked via laterooms, which was fine and was told on arrival that I had actually had my room upgraded, free of charge (always a good starting point). So I stayed in one of the Junior Suite's on the 6th floor.

The room was a good size and had all the usual facilties.

The only negative I would make is that the rooms are slighlty dated, but I imagine they have been kept the same since it was first built. Despite this, they were lovely and clean and all the bathroom had all the products suppled.

The breakfast was lovely and there was plenty of variety to cater for all dietary needs.

Despite being upgraded, I still felt it was a little expensive (1 nights stay, with breakfast on a Wednesday evening in October was £120+) but overall was more than satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Greg B,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at De Vere Venues Whites in Bolton.

I and my team are delighted to note that you were very satisfied ith your stay and we look forward to welcoming your back to De Vere Veneus Whites in the very near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Booking the rooms was poor. We booked a twin and a double via LateRoom.com which was fine.
When we checked with the hotel, we were told that only one room had been booked, so booked an additional room. I rang LateRoom.com, who were surprised and rang the hotel, confirming the original booking with them. I rang the hotel to cancel the third room, and they had no knowledge of it!
The parking was fine even on match day, but that may be a reflection of playing the first division.
The hotel itself is spacious, modern, and clean. The rooms are not large but everything is there. The pictures on the walls look like they have been knocked together by local primary school however.
Breakfast buffet is reasonable, the usual bacon, eggs and sausages etc. that you get in British hotels. Alas the coffee was tepid, and cheap tasting.
Hats off the the guy who was manning the spa, who couldn't have been helpful. The spa itself is worthy of a visit, with sauna, pool, jacuzzi, steam room etc.
Overall, we would go back, as there is nothing better that I am aware in the vicinity.

Room Tip: A room facing the pitch would be good. I have never tried it, but maybe next time
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear PeteD8,

Many thanks for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor.

I very appreciate your feedback and apologise for the situation regarding your room reservation.

I have taken note of your feedback reference the quality of our coffee and will pass on your compliments to my team member in the spa.

I am glad to hear that you had a good stay with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites.

Stockport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed as a family for my daughters wedding. I have to say the rooms are a little dated and in need of refreshment, but were very clean and comfortable. Further more if you are expecting a 'Penthouse' for £120.00 per night you will be dissapionted, what you will get is a large room with a great sized bathroom that is clean and comfortable, and yes the TV's are not 50" plasmas, but the rooms are very much in line with the valuation. The staff throughout the hotel were really friendly and very helpful, without exception! Good old Northern hospitality. We ate there on the Friday evening and it was very good and in expensive. Good selection of both Hot and Cold breakfast, which was very welcome on both Mornings.
Not a big fan of large group owned hotels but this is absolutly fine for family get togethers an offers suberb value for money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear RussellGStockport,

Many thanks for the feedback which you recently left on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you found all of my team members throughout the hotel to be really friendly and very helpful, without exception! Good old Northern hospitality as you have kindly mentioned!!

My team and I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites in the very near future and until then remain with,

liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here in August this year. We were given a pitch view room which was great, except i found the bed to be uncomfortable due to the fact that it was a fold away bed that goes up into a cupboard and locked away on match days so that these rooms can be used as boxes.
Found the hotel staff to be mostly friendly and pleasant but were run off their feet on our 2nd night due to being understaffed and our evening meal being a bit of a dissapointment.

We booked an online offer for 2 night room only then added 2 days breakfast and evening meal which came in at £103.90, really good deal we thought and paid it all up front by credit card......until the statement came in and the hotel had actually taken £148.90.
When i seen this i rang the hotel and they said sorry it had been "a blip" on there website, that it should have been £148.90 but obviously they would have to honour it and refund £45 to my card....which they didnt do.
When we arrived i explained this and told them to put on my room credit for drinks at the bar.....no problem you would think until we checked out and they tried to charge us another £46.10 for drinks !!!!! Got it sorted in the end with only a 20p final bill but felt that it spoilt are stay with them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie63,

Many thanks for your feedback which you kindly took the time to provide me with regarding your recent stay at De Vere Venues Whites.

I wish to apologise to you for the mix up and confusion regarding your bill upon checking out of the hotel and am happy to note that this was resolved to your entire satisfaction prior to leaving the property.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you decide to next stay at the hotel and I will personally ensure that you have an enjoyable stay with us.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

With this being a De vere hotel and with the website promising luxury with a room facing onto the pitch. I was excited and decided to upgrade my room to Penthouse where I was promised a suite with a large bathroom. On my arrival the receptionist was polite, I then headed to my room on the 6th floor, to be greeted by blue carpet and yellow wallpaper covered in dust. I had to wipe it down. The pitch view I was expecting was actually a view of the car park. The so called suite contained Sofas that looked as if they had been picked up from a charity shop. The TV's are the old square things. This room is how a room should look like if it was 1980. With it being a penthouse I was expecting at least a mini bar, nope nothing. The bedroom was small and hadn't been cleaned in a while and also contained a box TV. The bathroom was large but contained a bath set that was very basic and cheap, the shower cubicle was tiny the flooring was horrible, it was more like a disabled persons bathroom found across the road at the Premier Inn. I was at a charity do and on my return a guest brought some food back, only to be told by security this was not allowed. The hotel then charged me £30 however failed to inform me they had withdrawn the money from my card without my authorisation. I have called twice and am yet to receive a call from David the operations manager, as withdrawing money from ones account without approval is illegal. This hotel is not 4 star, this hotel is not luxury this hotel is not even a 3 star. It's horrible. Your better off staying in Manchester and taking train to stadium. If you want a step back to the 80's this hotel is for you.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear VishalMalhotra1508,

It would appear that you were not all impressed with your stay on this occassion.

I would like to point out that the wallpaper in our Penthouse Suites is not dusty> They are intertwined with fabric and that there is no mention of our Penthouse Suites offering a view of the pitch. The pitch view rooms that we offer are double bedded rooms.

I do appreciate receiving the feedback that you have left on this occasion and please do let me know if you would like to discuss this matter further by contacting me directly at the hotel.

Gordon

Been to Bolton Whites Hotel? Share your experiences!