“The Good and the Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bolton Whites Hotel

You added Bolton Whites Hotel to your Saves list
Bolton Whites Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   De Havilland Way | Horwich, Bolton BL6 6SF, England (Formerly De Vere Whites Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
“The Good and the Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Booking the rooms was poor. We booked a twin and a double via LateRoom.com which was fine.
When we checked with the hotel, we were told that only one room had been booked, so booked an additional room. I rang LateRoom.com, who were surprised and rang the hotel, confirming the original booking with them. I rang the hotel to cancel the third room, and they had no knowledge of it!
The parking was fine even on match day, but that may be a reflection of playing the first division.
The hotel itself is spacious, modern, and clean. The rooms are not large but everything is there. The pictures on the walls look like they have been knocked together by local primary school however.
Breakfast buffet is reasonable, the usual bacon, eggs and sausages etc. that you get in British hotels. Alas the coffee was tepid, and cheap tasting.
Hats off the the guy who was manning the spa, who couldn't have been helpful. The spa itself is worthy of a visit, with sauna, pool, jacuzzi, steam room etc.
Overall, we would go back, as there is nothing better that I am aware in the vicinity.

Room Tip: A room facing the pitch would be good. I have never tried it, but maybe next time
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear PeteD8,

Many thanks for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor.

I very appreciate your feedback and apologise for the situation regarding your room reservation.

I have taken note of your feedback reference the quality of our coffee and will pass on your compliments to my team member in the spa.

I am glad to hear that you had a good stay with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites.

Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Stockport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed as a family for my daughters wedding. I have to say the rooms are a little dated and in need of refreshment, but were very clean and comfortable. Further more if you are expecting a 'Penthouse' for £120.00 per night you will be dissapionted, what you will get is a large room with a great sized bathroom that is clean and comfortable, and yes the TV's are not 50" plasmas, but the rooms are very much in line with the valuation. The staff throughout the hotel were really friendly and very helpful, without exception! Good old Northern hospitality. We ate there on the Friday evening and it was very good and in expensive. Good selection of both Hot and Cold breakfast, which was very welcome on both Mornings.
Not a big fan of large group owned hotels but this is absolutly fine for family get togethers an offers suberb value for money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear RussellGStockport,

Many thanks for the feedback which you recently left on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you found all of my team members throughout the hotel to be really friendly and very helpful, without exception! Good old Northern hospitality as you have kindly mentioned!!

My team and I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites in the very near future and until then remain with,

liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here in August this year. We were given a pitch view room which was great, except i found the bed to be uncomfortable due to the fact that it was a fold away bed that goes up into a cupboard and locked away on match days so that these rooms can be used as boxes.
Found the hotel staff to be mostly friendly and pleasant but were run off their feet on our 2nd night due to being understaffed and our evening meal being a bit of a dissapointment.

We booked an online offer for 2 night room only then added 2 days breakfast and evening meal which came in at £103.90, really good deal we thought and paid it all up front by credit card......until the statement came in and the hotel had actually taken £148.90.
When i seen this i rang the hotel and they said sorry it had been "a blip" on there website, that it should have been £148.90 but obviously they would have to honour it and refund £45 to my card....which they didnt do.
When we arrived i explained this and told them to put on my room credit for drinks at the bar.....no problem you would think until we checked out and they tried to charge us another £46.10 for drinks !!!!! Got it sorted in the end with only a 20p final bill but felt that it spoilt are stay with them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie63,

Many thanks for your feedback which you kindly took the time to provide me with regarding your recent stay at De Vere Venues Whites.

I wish to apologise to you for the mix up and confusion regarding your bill upon checking out of the hotel and am happy to note that this was resolved to your entire satisfaction prior to leaving the property.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you decide to next stay at the hotel and I will personally ensure that you have an enjoyable stay with us.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

With this being a De vere hotel and with the website promising luxury with a room facing onto the pitch. I was excited and decided to upgrade my room to Penthouse where I was promised a suite with a large bathroom. On my arrival the receptionist was polite, I then headed to my room on the 6th floor, to be greeted by blue carpet and yellow wallpaper covered in dust. I had to wipe it down. The pitch view I was expecting was actually a view of the car park. The so called suite contained Sofas that looked as if they had been picked up from a charity shop. The TV's are the old square things. This room is how a room should look like if it was 1980. With it being a penthouse I was expecting at least a mini bar, nope nothing. The bedroom was small and hadn't been cleaned in a while and also contained a box TV. The bathroom was large but contained a bath set that was very basic and cheap, the shower cubicle was tiny the flooring was horrible, it was more like a disabled persons bathroom found across the road at the Premier Inn. I was at a charity do and on my return a guest brought some food back, only to be told by security this was not allowed. The hotel then charged me £30 however failed to inform me they had withdrawn the money from my card without my authorisation. I have called twice and am yet to receive a call from David the operations manager, as withdrawing money from ones account without approval is illegal. This hotel is not 4 star, this hotel is not luxury this hotel is not even a 3 star. It's horrible. Your better off staying in Manchester and taking train to stadium. If you want a step back to the 80's this hotel is for you.

Dear VishalMalhotra1508,

It would appear that you were not all impressed with your stay on this occassion.

I would like to point out that the wallpaper in our Penthouse Suites is not dusty> They are intertwined with fabric and that there is no mention of our Penthouse Suites offering a view of the pitch. The pitch view rooms that we offer are double bedded rooms.

I do appreciate receiving the feedback that you have left on this occasion and please do let me know if you would like to discuss this matter further by contacting me directly at the hotel.

Lanark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Not really sure what's happened with this hotel over the last few months, but whatever it is it's not good. The food is really disappointing, I would rather skip breakfast than eat in the restaurant, the staff seem disinterested in the customer, and the quality of ingredients being used have really dropped a standard, not great at all I'm afraid!!

Dear Aileen S,

I am somwehat at a loss to comment on your feedback as the brand standard specifications for our breakfast offering has not changed in anyway and we continue to use the same supplier and product lines that we have done so for the past four years.

I would like to point out and note the great feedback that we receive from the majority of our customers, pre and post yours, with comments high lighting the Great British Breakfast that we offer to all of our clientele who stay at Whites.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

What a fantastic place to stay! From check in to check out we were made to feel very welcome & relaxed.Having rooms overlooking the pitch was amazing ( even though there wasn't a game on)
The hotel is spotless throughout including the pool & leisure facilities.
We ate in the reflections bar, where both the food & service were superb.
I can't believe a hotel of this quality is so affordable.will definitely return again.
Faultless.

Dear 779185,

Many thanks for the amazing feedback which you recently left on Tripadvisor,

I am particularly delighted to learn that you found your entire stay to be faultless and that you genuinely found our property a fantastic place to stay!

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future and until then remain with,

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 1 night prior to a business meeting in the Reebok. We struck lucky with room 123 a corner room and it was a good size. However, when we checked in on the reception desk was a sign stating "you will be charged if you eat your own food in the room!! Hmmm, how they will police this is a question that jumps to mind? and so my mind wanders to 'we are at the Reebok Stadium, footy, so would it be possible for a bunch of lads staying over to support their team to bring a can of beer ... or two into the room rather than pay the inflated prices of the hotel bar? ....Nah, would never happen!
The bathroom is a little light on the toiletries, my wife couldn't find a shower cap, but then the lads here for the Bolton Wanders home match would only use the shower cap to keep the ice in?
I found the bed soft and my back niggled as a result but then I like a firm mattress.

The staff were great, if you need to be at the Reebok Stadium then you can't get any closer

Room Tip: get a corner room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for the feedback which you recently left on Tripadvisor.

Dear Alan B,

Many thanks for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites, Bolton in the very near future and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback.

Warm regards,

Gordon

Been to Bolton Whites Hotel? Share your experiences!