“excellent and I don't think I have ever stayed in a cleaner hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tramways Hotel

You added Tramways Hotel to your Saves list
Tramways Hotel
307 Blackburn Road, Bolton BL2 8DY, England   |
Ranked #13 of 19 Bolton B&B and Inns
Bolton, United Kingdom
“excellent and I don't think I have ever stayed in a cleaner hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

We originally come from Bolton although now live in Scotland, we booked the TRamways at the last minute, I have to say it used to be a bit of a dump- not anymore it was very reasonably priced and absolutely spotless- thanks for a great nights stay!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
South Shields
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Searching the Net, looking for a place to stay close to the Railway Music Venue to see Dan Reed in Bolton, I came across the Tramways Hotel.

If you're like me, you don't search for the most expensive, most opulent accommodation there is, you search for the most reasonable all round and if your visiting somewhere, a hotel or B&B quite near the venue or show is important. All in all, where ever I travel, I search for a good balance of fair priced decent accommodation and if possible, close to where I want to be. I usually use Travelodge with good rates anywhere from £19.00 upward but with the nearest being 6 miles away and the gig I came to see being very short notice, Travelodge was neither convenient nor cheap.

I always make a list of the nearest three B&B's, (paying on arrival) just in case of unforeseen events or a change in circumstances and I phoned the Hotel, expecting to arrive around 1.30pm and I was already running quite late, driving down from the North East. I knew the Tramways Hotel is on Blackburn Road in Bolton but I unfortunately took the wrong directions and ended up in Bolton Road, Blackburn... miles out the way. I felt totally lost and ened up getting directions from the inmates of what looked like a drug rehab unit! The manageress Julie was a star, constantly in contact by phone, until I got my bearings and with the help of a great guy (inmate) called Dave I made my way out of Blackburn and on the right road to Bolton. Julie told me she had a kids party at 4.00pm and need to go and pick up some items and kindly asked if once I arrived, if I would not mind waiting 20 minutes till she got back and having read the previous review, already noted the use of 2 mobile numbers at the top of the website, I knew this was a mobile run Hotel and with especially being late, I quite expected this. Once at the Hotel, Julie phoned again and said she would be a 5 minutes.

Once in the very large downstairs bar area, I immediately liked the look and feel of the place, signed in, paid and was given my keys. Three keys, one for the outer door, the inner door and your room door. Julie asked me where I was visiting and I said the Railway Venue for a gig that night. I was quite tired from driving so Julie and her husband Frank, offered to take me in their car, right there and then, to show me the route as they lived close by... so I knew where to go back later that night. Julie very kindly even offered to take me to the Railway Venue again once the kids party had finished when her and Frank went home but as I was going earlier, she kindly phoned me a taxi.

The gig was excellent, I met the most delightful of friends and the evening was just perfect. I lift back to the Hotel finished a totally FAB night. My Hotel room was a single room, about the size of the average house box room. There was no wardrobe, not that one was needed for a single room and the three hangers on the back of the door were more than ample for my 2 shirts. There was a small hand basin, a radiator with hanging rail, a slim free standing wall unit for your bits and bobs, a small flat screen TV, a chair, not that that was needed either and of course, a kettle and mug for your welcome tea/coffee. A set of towels, a bath towel and hand towel were below the small TV unit which you need to take with you to the toilet, shower facilities.

These facilities were located on the second floor at the end of the corridor where I stayed and inside the very large inner room, were three more rooms consisting of one long room with toilet and shower facilities. A single shower room and a larger single toilet... all of which were absolutely immaculately kept, in fact, my room and the whole Hotel was immaculate ...and I was so impressed, I had two hot showers...

I was told the Tramways Hotel is the former Tramways Pub and is situated right on the corner of the very busy main Blackburn road, with an equally busy side street. At tea time, the noise from the traffic and people walking by was very loud but once I got back at midnight and the window was shut, it was surprisingly silent and the single bed and duvet were so cosy, I had a great night sleep. I went for breakfast at 8.00 and although the full English was only £4.00 ...having explained to Julie that I have to watch my cholesterol, I was offered an alternative, tea/coffee, toast and cereal for just £2.50 Just what I wanted.

Check in anytime after 12.00pm and check out time is 10.00am and as I left at 10.00am Julie and Frank were already hard at work, cleaning and changing the rooms next to mine! I said how pleased I was with my stay and said I would definately come back...

The Tramways Hotel was exactly what I wanted and for £28.00 plus £2.50 for breakfast, I felt I got more than what I paid for... Julie and Frank were a delightful couple, very friendly and the service and accommodation was excellent. A line from their website say's "You won’t find better value hotel bed and breakfast accommodation in the Bolton area." ...and that is exactly right!

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for top quality buget accommodation and will most certainly be back in the very near future.

Dixie46

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I booked this B&B after finding it on late rooms, I had 6 guys working up in Bury on various sites. We were greated by the owner Susie who was very friendly and helpful.
All the facilities are clean and tidy, and they have a bar too(bonus)
They are willing to offer deals to contractors for long stays.
Good cooked brittish food also available for evening meals at reasonble price.
Thanks for havin us

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Tramways Hotel? Share your experiences!