“tasty and fresh” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London
“tasty and fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I can understand why some recent reviewers were disappointed. If you're expecting fancy food and fancy service, go elsewhere. This place has rough, inexperienced service but with some fresh, tasty dishes.

We arrived mid-week at 12.30pm, the only 2 in a restaurant that seats 24. We sat next to the “picture window” at the back through which you can see the long and narrow, rather basic, but effective charcoal grill at the front of one of the 2 large kitchen spaces; this one has a huge wood (or charcoal) burning oven at the back of the space.

There was a large Turkish menu but, when we tried to order one of the specials on the menu, we were told the oven would not be ready for another hour. Several mezze dishes were also unavailable.

We got the free olives & dips and the free bread, all of which were good. The chef and his female assistant were both friendly (through the glass) and happily grilled the meat to our preference (communicated via hand and face signals, as they didn’t speak English).

We enjoyed the main dishes of various types of grilled lamb (cubed, minced, etc), which came with a free, crispy mixed salad (a delightful experience as we’ve lost count of the restaurants that send out wilted salads, with disgusting leaves brown at the edges). As many have written here, the food is tasty and fresh.

We didn’t like the obviously home-made but tasteless hummus; somewhat to our surprise the waiter (who didn’t smile once, until we asked for the bill) did not seem surprised or ask any questions about a virtually untouched dish. The mint tea was out of a teabag served in a café type cup and saucer (we sadly thought of our local middle-eastern restaurant which serves it in a teapot with good quality tea and a big bunch of fresh mint, but we also have to admit that it is 3 times more expensive there). The slightly-salted yoghurt drink was very pleasant.

This place is about an hour from our home in a London suburb (it happened to be near our medical appointment). If this restaurant were local to us, we would be regulars - despite the waiter, the hummus, and the somewhat rough-and-ready state of the service and the food. We have less than half a dozen local restaurants (out of possibly over a hundred we’ve tried over the decades) that serve such fresh produce.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“An absolute disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I went to this place with my family and I absolutely regret it! I looked at the reviews and supposing it was "number 1" in Crawley I wanted to try it out BUT I must say it was a waste of money and time... I got Turkish pizza and the bread was too thick and it hardly had any minced meat on it. The iskender my wife got was covered with oil and the doner inside was burnt. I will definitely never be back and do not recommend!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

very good restaurant have been been there twice already and will go again soon?
very good service& staff our excellent and the food do not take long plus its very fresh.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Excellent local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

A good local addition. Good value food and great service! We've been three times since it opened and enjoyed it every time!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gdansk, Poland
“Will be back soon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Thanks to tripadvisor I discovered this little Turkish restaurant in Crawley. I admit it fully deserves its high rating! The place is rather small and it has an open kitchen and a stone oven, so you can observe the chef preparing your food in bursting flames. Before I ordered my food I got a complimentary starter - Turkish bread, 2 dips (yogurt & garlic and another red one) and marinated olives. In menu you will mainly find all forms of lamb, some chicken dishes and also limited vegetarian options. I went for a lamb (surprise, surprise) and didn't regret it at all - the portion was big and delicious! At the end I got a small desert (also complimentary) – nice touch! I will be back soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere