“Just the job!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 Crawley B&B and Inns
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Just the job!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Me, my husband and 2 teenage children stayed at this hotel 3 weeks ago as we needed an overnight stay before flying out of Gatwick in the morning. Due to travelling down on Bank Holiday Monday the traffic was bad so we didn't arrive until almost 10 o'clock. The website says check in is between 5-10pm so we had phoned to let them know when we should be arriving which seemed to be no problem.

On our arrival the owner was friendly and greeted us and showed us to our rooms. We had booked the family room, which was in fact 2 separate rooms - one double and a twin. The rooms were well equipped with a TV, tea and coffee making facilities and en suite showers (with plenty of hot water).
In the morning we didn't find time to have breakfast so obviously can't comment on that but had been informed the night before where the breakfast room was.

We had arranged for the owner to transport us to Gatwick in the morning and to pay for our car to be kept there whilst we were away for the week. It cost £90 for the 2 rooms and £16 for 8 nights parking which we thought was very good value for money considering the prices we had found for some of the big hotels around the airport. We had to leave our keys but we didn't have a problem with that. The journey to the airport was hassle-free and the owner was helpful in letting us know which taxi company to contact on our return.

All in all a good B&B with everything we needed for what was literally a bed for the night, a hot shower and a decent cuppa! I would definitely recommend The Manor House to anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune and is happy with a perfectly adequate B&B.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We have stayed in this B&B a number of times if we have had an early morning flight.
The hotel is very clean, cosy and comfortable (some may think a little dated), the owner of the B&B is very friendy. Have stayed in the family room and it is perfect if you have a large family.
Breakfast is continetal, but when we first stayed it was a full english which was yummy, but the continetal has a great choice!

The owner will take you to the airport for morning flight, not sure of other times as we only required morning drop-off.

You can leave your car at B&B for what I think is a minimal charge for the duration of your holiday.

I have recommened this B&B to my friends and they have had no complaints, and I would have no hessitation staying there again!

There are some local pubs nearby for lunch & evening meal.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My friend and I came back from holiday on a very late night flight.Key left on doorstep,let ourselves in but room was very cold no heating on .This is late October !!!!Water only just warm.Went down to the room for breakfast where it was basically help yourself to stale rolls and cereals,no appearance of the manager at all which we thought was very rude and unfriendly left the keys in reception as no one around at all.!My car keys were left in my room .
car parked at the front of the house .{We had had a bit of difference of opinion before we left on holidayn regarding the parking of my car Mr Jeffries had insisted that he park it around the back of his house as no one is allowed to go around the back except him.!!!! Do not ususally let other people drive my car.
Anyway would not use this B&B again and certainly would not recommend this B&B.Plenty more in the vicinity.!!!!

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I live abroad, but come regularly to the UK to work on short term contracts, and inevitably end up in a B&B or similar. I found the Manor House via Google and was pleasantly surprised at the reasonable rate of £30 a night for a single room as other similar establishments were asking up to £60; it was a shared bathroom with one other room, which was not a problem for me. The check in procedure was straightforwards, and I was told that if I wished to pay by card, there would be a charge, so chose to pay cash. The owners were extremely helpful and friendly, giving me all the details I might need for my stay, i.e. taxi firms, where to eat etc. My room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Though Gatwick is very close, the noise of the planes was not a problem, though if you had the window open, you had to turn the telly up! Usual facilities, kettle and TV in room etc. Breakfast was a help yourself one, with fresh fruit juice, fresh milk and cereals, yogurts, croissants, and bread for toast with butter, jams, marmite etc. There was a Kenco coffee machine, which also dispensed hot chocolate. I stayed here for 2 weeks in total, having a weekend home in between; the owners were so kind as to allow me to leave some personal items there, to save me carting them back and forth across Europe. I could get wifi in my room though the signal was variable; I didn't pay to park my car, though I wasn't flying, so not sure if you pay if you're going on holiday; No complaints at all

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Check in wasn't till 5pm But we arrived early...owner came out and said "No problem!"
Whilst checking in she made sure the details were correct checked flight times arranged our taxi for the next morning, told us where to get something to eat (Royal Oak-Nice people,Nice food) and showed us our room and where the breakfast room was.
All of that covered off we went to settle in.
Room fair size, bed clean and fresh, shower room clean and fresh towels.
Our taxi was apparently booked for 5am (I think) but i didn't hear anybody book it, so started to get worried and at 4.45am, (the owner made sure she gave me the card for the taxi firm) I phoned them to check a taxi was on its way and it was...panick over!!
When we arrived back to the UK we phoned them and within 20 mins we were back at the B&B filling the car and setting off home.
The one thing that did catch my eye was how inconsiderate guests had been with smoking outside, I smoke and there is an ashtray provided, but others seemed to think it was maybe to far to walk the approx 20 steps! And chucked them near the door!
We are deffinately going to use again,
Friendly, Fast, efficient service great value for money and would recommend...A great relaxing start to the holiday!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Margate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed at The Manor House for 1 night prior to our early departure from Gatwick. The owner of this grand old house was very helpful and welcoming. Room was fine, big comfy bed, fresh clean bedding, everything you could need.(TV a tad far away,but hey) Lovely pub down the road, more of a drive than a walk, nice food. Was up early and taken to Airport by the owner at 6.45am. Arrived home 2 weeks later and after phoning of our arrival, was picked up at 7am. Our car had been kept at the Manor, not in a big nasty field or car park, no shuttle buses etc to mess about with. 15 nights including room was £80....more than happy. If you want clean comfy and BRITISH tradition and manners, no need to hesitate. Definately use again :-)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

My friends and I were caught up in the Gatwick snow fiasco on Wednesday 1st December 2010 and desperately needed a place to stay near Gatwick to see whether our flight would be rescheduled for the next day.
We overheard a couple who had booked at The Manor House and they kindly gave us the number. We managed to book a triple room for £60 for 2 nights.
The owners of this B&B were extremely helpful. We were all packed for our hot Carribean holiday and they gave us (and others staying there) a lift to Asda so that we could buy some warm clothes and supplies.
We bonded with some lovely fellow travellers and all had a wonderful time at the Flight Tavern down the road. We had the most fun walking in a foot of snow along a dark lane!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Manor House? Share your experiences!