“The Shining eat your heart out!” 1 of 5 stars

Europa Gatwick
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Balcombe Road | Maidenbower, Crawley RH10 7ZR, England   |
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Crawley
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“The Shining eat your heart out!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Despite getting the stay at a steal on Groupon, I still expected a little more warmth than the Overlook Hotel where 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'. Dull would have been more comforting than this eerie time warp. The whole place felt like it was a horror themed hotel, with its 70s patterned carpets and threadbare armchairs.

The woman on reception was pleasant but not overly helpful, which is more than what I could say about the staff in the restaurant. There were 5 pairs of eyes glaring at me while I sipped the watery mushroom soup. The 'atmosphere' was tinged with the crackling nicotine stained speakers that played nothing but 50s country and easy listening. I was slightly amused by the chef and manager having strong words with each other in the entrance entirely in Polish. But that was where the hotel's entertainment ended.

On our Groupon voucher it stated we were entitled to a bottle of sparkling wine, but were only offered house white or red. Which ok, isn't the biggest deal but it is when you suspect that they pour in the cheapest plonk into their own labelled bottles as they were all already opened and when they took the empty bottle they also took back the cork. Hmmm.

The room itself was so dated and so tired it felt like I was staying in a rest home. Actually, that's a little unfair....rest homes are probably less depressing. The television could probably be dated around the early 1990s as was the rest of the decor. The finishing touches included stained curtains, peeling wallpaper and dull artwork just to give it that authentic psycho-esque feel. Perfect.

Food was less than desirable, with luke warm helpings of various meats and don't expect a tea or coffee with breakfast. That would wake up the guests too much, who all seemed as though the chef had slipped something into their mushroom 'soup'.

To give you an idea of the type of clientele this attracts, let me describe two such persons; person number one was wearing holey trackies and picking his nose in full view of everyone whilst his girlfriend poured smuggled in drinks under the table. Person number two was a rather loud gentleman who repeated his crap jokes several times and then proceeded to holler 'I think every woman here should put on a bikini and jump off the sofas' as he watched Splash! on the only flat screen in the hotel.

So if you want somewhere that will really test all your senses, this place will definitely do that! I would recommend it for a laugh because it is so cliche you have to see it to believe it.

Oh but it is very near the airport. Bonus!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick, responded to this review, January 11, 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Wisbech, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed at the Europa again before flying and on our return. Rooms could do with updating and brightening up a bit. Evening bar meal was good (although the price had increased sharply). Breakfast is still good value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your comments. They have been passed to the various departments.
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

After five years of loyalty to this hotel, this Christmas and the debacle of the travellers has nailed it for me. Most of the hotel was out-of-bounds for ordinary guests for much of the time over the four Christmas nights as their presence was so intimidating. I have submitted a formal written complaint to Britannia's Customer Relations Dept - as directed by Reception staff - but looking at the responses given by management so far on this site I don't expect a positive outcome, so it will be trip to the County Court to get my money back and I anticipate that several other guests with whom I have kept in touch will be doing the same thing. Watch this space. (So far, I've not been given even the courtesy of an acknowledgement.)

The management appear to be saying that they "did their best". I don't believe they did; I have absolutely no doubt that had I, as an individual guest, behaved the way the travellers collectively behaved I would have been made to leave. Just for a small example: a towel is for drying oneself after a swim; it is not for use as an alternative to toilet paper. Or am I being picky?

I can forego many things in the name of economy, but feeling safe isn't one of them. Consequently I have to rate it as "terrible" value.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. The hotel is dealing with this complaint.
Beccles, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Booked a great offer with Groupon! B&B, wine on arrival, transfers to Gatwick and parking. Bargain. Or so I thought.
Our 'welcome' after a long drive, was 'I've got you booked in for tomorrow night on our system'. No eye contact, no hello, no apology. It was sorted by someone more senior swiftly (again, no eye contact, no hello, no apology though).
Our room was very basic. Mean duvets and meaner pillows! All were holey and in need of replacing. The room smelt very damp (didn't see any though) and was more of a hostel room than hotel room.
Our complimentary wine (you can choose red/white) was possibly the worst Pinot Grigio I've ever tasted! More like a cheap Chardonnay that had been opened far too long. Avoid that! We ordered a salad each for dinner which was ok but not £9 worth! Staff behind the bar didn't seem happy in their job!

Walls are very thin. Woken up at 4am by next door's wake up phone call. Again 10 minutes later. Woken up by air con kicking in at about 5am. Woken up at about 6.30 by staff talking loudly outside our door about the room opposite. Woken up at 8.15am by housekeeping. Vaccuuming started at 8.30 right outside door.

Breakfast was also fairly underwhelming. Not sure if what looked like last night's chips were a bonus or an insult! It all looked like it had been made several hours earlier.

If you only want a bed for the night for easy access to Gatwick and you're prepared for basic, this will suffice. I wouldn't describe it as cheap and cheerful as there wasn't anything cheerful about it. Someone else has reviewed 'you get what you pay for' I'm not sure I'd want to pay for this again!

Transfers to the airport are £7 per adult. It's free to return if you time it right for the bus. We just missed one so to avoid a 40 minute wait so got a taxi which was £17

I think next time, I won't be distracted by the extras thrown in on such a cheap deal and pay more for a better standard of room to get a better nights sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. They have been raised with the various departments.
Poole, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for one night. The room we were allocated first hadn't been cleaned, so we were given an upgrade! Our room was basic and not the cleanest but we did only pay £25 for the both of us!! All in all the location is excellent for what we needed, the room was okay and we had everything we needed! Some people expect to get 5* but only pay for a 2* hence you get what you pay for!!

• Stayed January 2014
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

This is our 15th stay at the hotel and every time it gets poorer. Positives staff work hard, there's a pool, location for gatwick. Sadly, that really is it. Now our stay. We had a suite booked. I say suite but in reality this was just a big dated room. We expected a glorious room and to stay in a room where we felt special. No chance. The wall paper was pealing off the walls on every wall. There was 2 televisions, 1in the bedroom area that had terrible reception, you could only pick up 4 channels and watch 2 due to poor reception. The other tv in the other room had no reception and the remote had no batteries. The carpet was badly worn and in general the room needs completely made over. Reception lacks that special touch, no porter for your luggage, or if there was we never saw one. Sadly the hotel has declined over the years and is now little more than a budget hotel in a good location for gatwick airport. Shame. Brittania hotels do this all the time, take over hotels that have a history of good standards and don't spend money on maintaining them. We would not stay again at the Europa which saddens me as I have been coming here for over 15 years. I would ask the management this, how much would you pay for one of your rooms ? Merry christmas

Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your comments.

The Europa Hotel has always been a budget hotel.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here the night before our Gatwick flight in a Family room for just £99, you get what you pay for and nothing more but I wouldnt have expected anything more.
When finding your room its like trawling an old convent with tiled floors and open brickwork but the room was clean and complete with double bed, bunk beds and zed bed, all the linen and towels were clean.
We sat in the lounge / bar area with a great roaring fire and television, with worn out sofas and a coffee table with the glass held on by blue tac !
Ordered soup and roll, but shouldnt have bothered as roll could have smashed the coffee table glass and the soup was tasteless.
Next time I would pay a bit more for somewhere with higher standards.
The transfer by bus is very easy though and at a small one off cost £3.50 per child & £7 per adult. The bus was booked for us in the morning, and we stood at stop 8 upon our return for only 10 mins so excellent transfers.
Also another positive you park your car up and keep your keys and just return to your car at your own leisure.
If needed I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We hope you will return to the Europa in the future.

Been to Europa Gatwick? Share your experiences!