“Good midweek.” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
“Good midweek.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited here twice recently for a meal. First one was midweek, when we experienced good, friendly and helpful service, food nicely presented, hot and tasty. A very enjoyable experience.
Second visit was on a Sunday lunchtime. I am always wary of Sunday lunch in a pub. Too often it's busier than the place can deal with and the food resembles a poo school dinner. We booked and the pub was reasonably busy when we got there. To their credi, there was at least one vegetarian option, which I took. We didn't have to wait too long for our meals to arrive, but overall they were disappointing. My mother chose the lamb, but left most of the meat as it was so fatty. She mentioned this to our waitress who said "oh". I mentioned it to the young lady at the bar whni paid, she said "oh sorry". To be fair, he price was very reasonable, but he whole experience was a bit lacklustre.
I wouldn't recommend Sunday lunch, bu a midweek meal is definitely an experience worth having.

Visited June 2013

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“All good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Nice food,lots to choose from,prices reasonable,couldn't fault it. met up with friends that I hadn't seen for years & the time flew

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited here for a Sunday lunch. I was pleased overall with the meal. There was lots of meat, veggies & gravy. The only thing I would say is that the veg could have done with being cooked a little longer but I still ate everything and enjoyed it. I will be returning for another Sunday lunch at some point.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Keeping it simple works”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We hadn't been to The Freke Aerms for several years but decided to give it a go on the recommendation of friends. We weren't disappointed.

The menu isn't extensive and is heavy on meat in general and steaks in particular, Fine by me!

There were 5 adults in our party. One had a starter (soup) which was home made and pronounced "very good", That said apart from soup there were no starter options.

3 of us had steaks of varying types and sizes. but we all agreed they were good quality. My rump was cooked rare and was spot on. Two others had ham egg and chips. The ham was thickly cut and flavoursome.

Good hearty portions. Friendly, prompt which given it was pretty busy (a Saturday lunchtime) was good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Another good Arkells pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We went here early on a Friday night for an evening meal. It is decorated just as you would imagine a country pub should be and had a welcoming atmosphere.
The food was served very quickly, piping hot and very fresh, the fried eggs were the best I have tasted in years and salad was fresh and plentiful.
I have given it five however the tables are quite close together and when busy it may be a bit of a squeeze.
ps. The Arkells Wiltshire Gold Bitter is excellent and much lighter than the much nuttier but also excellent Arkells 3B's Bitter.
Our new favourite pub for a Friday night meal.

• Visited March 2013