“Lovely food but awful service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Indian, English
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
LONDON
“Lovely food but awful service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have visited this restaurant twice now and found the food to be lovely but the staff a bit rude and not accommodating. This restaurant has a set price per head for the buffet and a wide variety of dishes, and a grill and ice cream station. The food is delicious and I recommend a visit here for the food alone. The wine list is also quite reasonable. There is a friendly chef at the grill station who makes a customised dish for you, and I always tend to have this. When I first entered the restaurant I asked to sit in one of the booths, as I was with the other half and we thought it would be nice and private. However the staff refused as they said they were cleaning the area, even though there were lots of people already sitting there. I said I did not want to sit in the open area as it is definitely like a canteen atmosphere as another reviewer mentioned, but I was told that I could not sit in the booth but had to sit in the open bit. This was disappointing. When I asked for cutlery I was shown where it was located and told to get it myself!! I was a bit annoyed but decided to not let it ruin the evening, then when we ordered wine, the bottle was plopped on the table and not even opened and poured so it is extremely lacking in service. The staff also started cleaning the restaurant whilst we were there, which was not that late, only around 9pm, again which made the whole place feel very cheap. Indeed the only time we experience good service, was by the chef at the grill station, and when we requested the bill and the waitress started smiling at us asked us if we wanted to leave a tip on the credit card, needless to say we did not.. I am more than happy to leave service if it is deserved but not when we did everything ourselves. The place is actually nicely decorated, so it is a shame that the staff let it down. I would visit there again but only because the food is very good and if I was in a DIY mood!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
“Such a varied and full menu!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The food here is brilliant! You have so many choices that you will not know which way to turn next! The food is of a very high standard. You can also have specific dishes cooked especially for you. The dessert section was fabulous. Don't forget - you can eat as much or as little as you want and can keep returning for seconds or even thirds, if you can manage it!!

Here comes the "but".... although the food was brilliant, the atmosphere is rather like a canteen or restaurant in John Lewis' or BHS. You do get to sit at your own table, but if you are looking for a romantic meal, then this is not the place for you. I felt that we could not really linger after the meal and perhaps sit back and have coffee and a chat; it felt as if once you had eaten, off you went. This wasn't because the staff made me feel like this, whatsoever, it was just the canteen type atmosphere.

The staff were pleasant and helpful, and if you got up to go and get another serving and left your plate at the table, by the time you came back, the old plate had been removed; so very quick service. The duck for the Hoisin duck, ran out, but was fairly quickly replaced with more, as this is quite a popular dish.

Would I eat here again? Yes, definitely; the value and choice is so good, not just for starters and mains, but also desserts.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TonyHongxin, Guest Relations Manager at Hongxin Oriental Buffet, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Lucy, thanks a lot for your positive review,
Please be kindly aware that, in our restaurant the inside area behind the moon door is divided into several small area with privacy and are very popular for small groups and couples, around 20 tables also have panoramic view of the Peatmoor lake.
You could find photos for this area in the Gallery of our website.
We're looking forward to serving you again in HongXin.
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Excellent night, value for money.......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I booked a table for 6 for a Saturday evening, no problem.....also we had our 9 month old granddaughter in her buggy, no problem, in fact the staff were very attentive to children. Organised a drinks round no problem. Then there was food plenty of it and it was turning over quickly so it was hot fresh and very nice. My family guests were also impressed, we have all ate at the other places similar in and around Swindon, but this certainly has been the best so far. Thank you Hongxin we will almost certainly visit again. Oh and at £12.50 per head I thought this good value for money. Thank you again

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Vaule for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

After hearing it was reopened me and my partner decided to give it a try. I haven't been here for over 5 years and was surprised of the refurb. We were told on arrival it would be 10-15 mins waiting and it definitely was. Atmosphere was really good was buzzing with people enjoying an evening out. The waitress had misplaced our drinks order but was soon and quickly sorted out. Did find some of the staff quiet rude but wasn't a main issue. There was plenty of choices to choose from. The chocolate fountain was to die for!!! Will definitely return again

Swindon, United Kingdom
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went there yesterday with friends and found the food improved a lot than before. Good selection and variety of food really deserved a thumb up. However, not very impressed about the "2 hour seating time" , feel under pressure to go. Especially it was very empty in the restaurant!! My friend got charge 50p for asking a HOT WATER, unbelievable!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
TonyHongxin, Guest Relations Manager at Hongxin Oriental Buffet, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Joswindon, we have to clarify two issues mentioned in your comments:
Regarding the "2 hours seating time", almost ALL buffet restaurants in the UK have similar policy, the reason is that every guest in a buffet restaurant is entitle for all dishes available and we also need prepare seats for guests coming later. We're usually busy all the time so we have to prepare for walk-in customers and reservations.

By the UK law, all restaurants have to provide free tap water, but no restaurant are obliged to provide FREE hot water (or water with ice, etc), as it does need significant energy and man power.