“Great gastro pub food and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #104 of 325 Restaurants in Swindon
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Pig On The Hill is a Diverse property that really can cater for all palates and all occasions.We offer a fine Lunch and A la Carte menu, with Sharing boards and platters for the sociable diner, along side a special offer Table d'Hote menu at £9.95 for a 2 course lunch. Sundays are a speciality for us and booking is advisable.We have a large function room that can hold up to 80 people and is suitable for any personal or business event.We also serve Hog Roasts & BBQ's in our large Beer garden throughout the summer.We serve Fine Ales, Wines and Ciders as only the very best will do.Try our venue for yourself and see why we have won a certificate of excellence for 2012 & 2013 consecutively.Please enjoy!
Swindon
“Great gastro pub food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I have now eaten several times in The Pig and have never been disappointed. The menu is varied and they have now opened up a separate dining area upstairs for a bit of extra peace and quiet.

They do excellent Sunday lunches with generous portions and perfect gravy and yorkshire puds - including a kids option for around £5 that is not much short of the adult option.

One of my favourites on the menu is the slow cooked pork belly - really succulent and delicious.

Apart from over Christmas, they usually have a specials board which focused on local produce and typically also includes a soup of the day and a featured burger of the week, which are always popular.

You're looking at at least £10 for a main course, but this is good value for the quality of the food.

I was speaking to the chef and he is passionate about sourcing food locally, so aspects such as the cheese board have a great local feel whilst still selecting the best quality.

It gets busy on a weekend and particularly on Sunday lunchtimes for the roasts, particularly with families (although the upstairs dining area is more peaceful).

The staff here are really friendly and make a great team - chatty and fun and giving the pub a warm feel that makes it stand out from the likes of the Old Bank and McKenzies.

They are going to be introducing a new bar menu soon and I can't wait.

The wine selection is good and they also serve a range of lagers and always have a couple of real ales on tap.

• Visited December 2011

swindon
“TOP CLASS FOOD THANKS CHEF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I spoke to the Chef Luke and asked him if it would be possible to arrange a special dinner for myself and my wife to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We talked about what i wanted but having eaten there a few times before i knew that whatever he produced would be top notch so i left it to him to suprise us, and suprise us and impress us he did. He sorted us a nice romantic table upstairs and then came the food. For starters we had a very posh scotch egg laid on fresh asparagus, shards of bacon and two very tasty sauces (and he even managed to have the egg inside runny which is very difficult!) For the main it was an excellent fillet beef wellington the pastry was lovelly and crisp and the mushroom topping was delectable. The steak was cooked perfectly and melted in the mouth and the tatse was divine. Served with dauphinoise potatoes and fresh vegetables and a creamy mushroom sauce (which was delicious) For dessert we had a choclate and raspberry tart with elegant choclate work a delicious cleansing sorbet and some frozen raspberries on the side. I wish i had my camera to add some photos seriously these dishes wouldn't have looked (or tatsed) out of place on the finals of masterchef!!!! To Finish we had a cheeseboard ( one of the pubs specialities) which consisted of a selection of 6 cheeses from goats cheese to stilton it was the perfect end to a fabulous meal. As a really nice touch the chef Luke actually took the time to come and serve us personally and explain each dish to us. Thank you so much for making our anniversary one to remember.............i can't recommend this place enough Without doubt the best food that i have eaten in swindon.

• Visited December 2011
Swindon UK
“great pub food at a fair price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We went here for lunch and weren't expecting too much, we were very pleasantly surprised by the standard and quality of the food. I will definitely be going back, I think the fact that this place is often packed at lunch time is a testament to the high standard of the food on offer.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Best steak I've had in ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

A few friends and I went out for a couple of drinks and a meal last night and decided to go to The Pig on the Hill.

After looking through the menu, I decided to try the Rib Eye Steak.

What a good choice. The portions were great and the flavour of the steak was outstanding and cooked the way I liked. I highly recommend this steak. This is the best steak I’ve had in years.

The atmosphere in the pub was fantastic and the service was excellent and the members of staff were more than friendly.

If anyone is looking to eat out, I highly recommend 'The Pig on the Hill', Swindon.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“the place for a quality sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

I had the roast beef it was tender & flavoursome. The potatoes were seasoned perfectly & a fantastic mix of veggies. I tired to finish my pud but was too full :(