“2 Night Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Swindon
oxford
“2 Night Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I arrived late at the Hotel, but had a warm welcome, room warm and clean, The breakfasts were good and hot served by a nice lady, all meals taken at the hotel were ok. the car park is a bit poorly lit, but not in total darkness. Will stay again next time in the area. Having read some of the comments recently on the hotel i was a bit dubious about staying, i reckon i must have stayed in a new room. hope this is useful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
leem1958, Manager at Madison Hotel and Conference, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Sir, Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to your next visit to Swindon. We always aim to fulfill our guests expectations.
Michael Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Southampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

we spent christmas here and I have never eperienced any thing like it. The room was a good size but the toilet was not working for three days even though we reported it to the Manager.
we were in a party of 44 but the entertainment rooms could not accomidate us all as thier was another coach party in. The food wasnt bad but xmas day was preformed turkey and uncooked vegetables. The servise was awfull.

Room Tip: do go for a Xmas break
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
leem1958, General Manager at Madison Hotel and Conference, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
I do apologise that there was an ongoing problem with the cystern. I can assure you it was fixed on a daily basis, as it was over the xmas period it was impossible to get a permanent fix done. With regards to the entertainment I am bemused with your comments as I was there on all evenings and not once did we have to turn anyone away.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here quite frequently as a business traveller and never had cause to complain. The refurbished rooms are very nice and the staff are extremely friendly. My only suggestion for improvement would be the standard of food in both restaurant and room service.

• Stayed January 2012
leem1958, Manager at Madison Hotel and Conference, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for your constructive review. We know we have some work to do but we have a maintenance programme in operation but this is a long slow process as we have to keep to a strict budget. Brook Hotels took over this Hotel when it was in administration and is working very hard to improve the facilities and ensure it is profitable to ensure the staff have secure employment.
Northampton, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at the Madison for 6 days whilst working close-by and have had no real cause for complaint. I arrived in the dark and as others have mentioned I must admit that the car park was poorly lit and I would have concerns for lone female guests having to park in certain parts of the car park. The car park layout was also not particularly easy and I found I had to make a number of circuits before finding my bearings (in the dark) and getting parked.

The reception staff are all very polite and efficient. My double room was quite small but adequate for my use. I think I must have had one of the refurbished rooms (not sure when) but was a bit surprised that the old furniture had not been replaced with something a bit more modern, feels a bit 1960’s, although again is perfectly functional. The floor to ceiling curtains are far too big and completely obscure the only means heating in the room which mean either being cold or lifting the curtains onto the window sill to let some heat into the room, possibly made slightly worse by my room being on the end of the block and it being January! A nice surprise was the free Wi-Fi in the room with good quality of service, although it does tend to drop out a couple of time per night, a quick call to reception and it’s up and running again within 10 minutes or so. Wi-Fi; not all of us can claim the cost back so well done Madison!

Housekeeping was very efficient in replacing a couple of dead light bulbs; room service is quite quick with a reasonable selection of food, although the hotel was very quiet with surprisingly few guests. Maybe just the time of year. I can’t say that I tried much of a selection, however, the food that I had was nothing to write home about and had I the time, I would probably have rather eaten out of the hotel, which would have meant having to go further into Swindon town centre.

Although on the major roundabout, with all the windows closed, it’s not too noisy, but I’m not sure I would be quite so happy if it was the summer and I wanted my windows open. I suppose you could ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

Breakfast is a moderate selection of traditional English (buffet style), toast, with a small selection of cereal, fruit and yogurts. I didn’t have the chance to try the bar and Grill restaurant in the evenings, but it all looks quite modern and clean.

In summary, there is room for improvement but for the price, I would be happy to stay here again and would recommend it to others on business or for a short stay. Although why you would want to stay just outside Swindon I’m not quite sure (no offence).

Room Tip: Facing the road with your window open would be noisy in the summer. Bring a blanket for your feet in...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Ramsgate, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed in the Madison for one night prior to a business meeting next day - it was adequate at least for one night's stay.

The only big negative for me was the poor lighting in the car park which is a little intimidating for a lone female traveller arriving after dark.

The staff were friendly and helpful enough, if a little slow to serve.

My room was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom including towels was also clean.

Breakfast was OK though the server didn't seem to know what was on offer. The food was tasty and freshly cooked but the portions seemed on the small side. Also the toaster didn't spit out the toast where it could be easily removed. Removing it involved putting fingers into the toaster which isn't all that safe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your comments. We know we have an issue with some of our car park lights and this is on our planned maintenance list, but at the moment we are concentrating on gradually upgrading our bedrooms. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Swindon on any future visits you have planned.
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have stayed here several times revently so this is an overall view. Poor Lighting in Car Park, Unhelpfull staff, poor cellar care, misleading signage (free WIFI), Manager who would rather smoke than help guests. The entire restaurant is often full of uncleared breakfast dishes from previous guests. Rooms are often cold with rather tatty net curtains, peeling wallpaper and damp smelling bathrooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Firstly may I apologise as you were clearly unhappy with your visit to the Madison. Most of your problems seem to be maintenance. We do have an ongoing programme of refurbishment,50% of our bedrooms have been refurbished which is our main priority. Unfortunately the car park lights which you rightly say are poor (But adequate) will have to wait. Kind Regards
General Manager.
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

If you are in Swindon for business than it could be good decision to stay here. Rooms are freezing you need to check radiator's degree. They have a restauran it is not the best but it is OK.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments, we do try to ensure rooms are warm for the arrival of guests, the heating is constantly on from 5pm until 8 am unless of adverse weather conditions or we have guest staying in their bedrooms during the day.
Michael Lee

Been to Madison Hotel and Conference? Share your experiences!