“21st Birthday lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 424 Restaurants in Derby
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Set in a beatifully converted Grade II listed chapel, Masa is one of the finest restaurants in the region. It is coveted by two AA rozettes. Bi-monthly changing menu is modern British. It is also a very popular venue for weddings and corporate functions. Masa is licensed for civil ceremonies and it is available for private hire.
Horsham, United Kingdom
“21st Birthday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is the best restaurant I have found in Derby! We went for Sunday Lunch to celebrate our daughters 21st birthday. The service was excellent, discreet but attentive. The food was delicious and the extra touches made it very personal. There is a large reception/bar area with lots of comfy sofa's and chairs. The restaurant is upstairs and is galleried and on several levels.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Derby, England, United Kingdom
“ok food quite good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

the meal was on Friday evening for 4 adults

the menu appeared very good but the actual food when it arrived was a little plain and under seasoned. Not all but 2 out of the 4 meals.
Price was about right and the wine list ok
I would give it a go again, good but not great

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Valentine's Day Treat - Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My beautiful girlfriend took me here as a Valentine's day treat (a very modern relationship!) and it was awesome. We arrived a little bit late but were still able to enjoy great cocktails and canapes in the lounge area whilst choosing from the menu without being rushed.

We got a lovely table upstairs in this unique and captivating building. The champagne we had ordered downstairs was ready and waiting for us at our table.

I went for the guinea fowl and Morteau sausage terrine for starter which was really nice - great contrasts of flavour between the smoky sausage and gamey guinea fowl.

The main I went for was pan fried fillet of sea bass with sauteed langoustine. It was perfectly cooked and the langoustine almost melted in the mouth. My girlfriend went for the seared fillet of Derbyshire beef, which was tender and full of flavour.

For dessert we both went for the strawberry creme brulee with a delicious bakewell tart ice cream.

All in all it was a lovely meal at an amazing restaurant. The service was impeccable despite the fact that it was really busy.

I can't wait to return the treat and take my girlfriend back there!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Really special Valentine Meal - thanks Masa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've been to Masa countless times now, and I can say that it never fails to impress. The setting is wonderful, the staff are attentive but also know when to leave you in peace, and the food is always absolutely exquisite. There is nothing quite like it in Derby, and this is always my first choice whether it be a romantic meal for two, meal out with colleagues, family get together or a girlie night out. I always feel spoiled when I go to Masa, and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who likes a special night out. The sunday set menus are great value considering the quality of the food, and the taster evenings are fab - whilst I initially thought the portion sizes were too small, after 5 courses I always reconsider!
I have never had a bad experience here. Keep it up Masa, I'll definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Chaotic Service, Decent Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've eaten here 3 times now and there won't be a 4th. We arrived last night early for our booking and were seated in the downstairs lounge area, served with drinks and given menus and wine list to make our choices - this was around 1900 - and the service and attention to detail were great; it was quite empty and starting to fill up.

We were taken to our table upstairs on time and seated adequately. We were brought appetisers, which were pleasant and bread (granary great, white dull and lifeless).

One of our group ordered a pint of lager. After 10 minutes, he chased it. It came a couple mins later.

Another of our group ordered a coke. After 10 minutes, we chased it. It came a couple mins later.

The starters were generally ok. The belly pork/black pudding I thought was delicious.

Now is where it started to go wrong. I am assuming this was related to the fact the restaurant was now full, bar one 2-seat table.

The mains finally came after about 20 mins, with the extra portion of veg we ordered (for £3.50). The carrots weren't cooked, so we sent them back. The Derbyshire beef was acceptable, possibly slightly under-seasoned. The veg was returned and was still probably less cooked than I think it should have been. We left most of it.

We excitedly ordered coffees, desserts and a cheese board. The coffees came after 10 minutes, they were lukewarm.

After 20 minutes, the desserts/cheese hadn't come, so we chased it, its on its way we were told. 10 minutes later, we chased it again, to be told by the (probably too) young waitress that "yes, well, everyone's waiting" - way to go admitting that you're completely out of control !

Five minutes later, I called a waitress over and said that, if the desserts weren't out within 2 minutes, they could forget it. They arrived promptly now, although the "Chef's Selection of Sorbets and Ice Creams" was in fact three poorly presented mini scoops of lemon sorbet only, which looked like they'd been gouged out of a bigger block with a fork or a knife.

We were told that desserts were on them and they were indeed crossed off the menu and not charged for, although the coffee was charged for,

I was extremely disappointed and, really, if I'm spending >£160 for four people (after the desserts weren't charged), I expect top quality service (like at Anoki, for instance). This was poor and quite unprofessional in general.

The food was pretty good, so the chef can clearly cook and has a decent palate, but the service degenerated slowly over the course of the evening and, on that basis, I could not recommend this restaurant, which is a shame because I really want to like it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere