“Great service!” 5 of 5 stars

The Farmhouse at Mackworth
and 1 more site!
You added The Farmhouse at Mackworth to your Saves list
The Farmhouse at Mackworth
60 Ashbourne Road | Mackworth, Derby DE22 4LY, England (Formerly Mackworth Hotel)   |
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Derby
“Great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

I came in to the farmhouse with a friend just for some drinks and the bar staff were really friendly and helpful! Me and my friend were talking about it the other day so I decided to write a review because Emma and Joe were so nice and knew a lot about the cocktails and local beers :) definitely will come back soon! Thanks

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Business
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I went here with my girlfriend for the soft opening the week before the full opening. I thought the venue looked fantastic, very modern but also a little quirky! We were there on a Sunday so we had Sunday lunch and it was one of the best meals I have had for a very long time. The meat was perfectly cooked and all the trimmings were spot on! The service was also very good, knowledgeable staff and also very attentive. The overall atmosphere was very good which was caused by the bubbly staff who work there. We were also shown around the hotel rooms which have been furbished to a very high standard. Overall I would definitely recommend for anyone to go there to eat and also stay.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I'll start with the good:

Well presented gastropub. The bar area is spacious and the food was delightful. We never experienced any long waits for our food, so all in all, pleased with our meal! Pizzas are lovely and great that you can see them being cooked!

We also stayed here for the night. The rooms are lovely and as we had the two kids with us, it was nice that we had a family with a separate lounge space with a sofa that converts into a bed.

The continental breakfast in the morning was nice. For extra, you can have a cooked breakfast.

Now to the not so good:

As the rooms are directly above the bar, the family room in particular is located above the main entrance and all you can hear till midnight is that door opening/closing and of course the noise from the bar.
I don't think this is the case for all rooms as our bathroom was a lot quieter but in my opinion, not particularly well thought out for the family room.

This is my only gripe but had I'd known, we probably wouldn't have stayed here because of the kids.

Stayed May 2015
General M, General Manager at The Farmhouse at Mackworth, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for your comments, I am delighted that you like the changes we have made to the venue. Boxer has to be one of my favourite bedrooms as well, it is stunning. We do have another family room which is on the top floor so if you were to join us again please requires to be in Snowball. We hope to see you again.
Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The venue is much improved and has been tastefully refurbished. In fact I recommend visiting just to see what they've done with the place. However, whilst the food was good - I had 8oz flat Iron steak and my friend had a pizza. The waiting time was poor and it felt like the waiting staff were stretched. Upon arrival it took at least minute or two before we were shown to our table. Also the restaurant was hot - and I appreciate the fact there is a pizza oven in close proximity, however. The room temperature needs to be better regulated, especially given how full it was. So in short, great venue, friendly staff - although, not altogether attentive. Good food but restaurant room was on the hot side. Nothing that can't be fixed and I hope the management take on board my feedback because I really like this venue!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that we didn't quite match the expectations you had of the Farmhouse. As you said they are all minor improvements which can be made and without the constructive feedback of our guests we would be unable to make the appropriate changes. We hope you will visit us again in the future.
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked a table of 8 for my fiancees birthday. We loved the refit that the place has had, it looks stunning and very contemporary. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. Really good effort from the chefs!! The major stumbling block for this place is the service. The waiting staff took this review down from 5 stars to 3. The previous reincarnation of the mackworth hotel was a but dull and gloomy, but the food was good and so was the service. I would much rather go for substance over style!! The restaurant was busy, I won't deny that, as such we were prepared to wait for our food even though we mostly pre ordered. The staff really weren't very interested in servicing our table at all. No one came to the table and asked how things were. Not once between courses were we asked if we wanted drinks despite trying to catch someone's attention repeatedly. The place missed out on £20-30 of drinks sales!! We had to ask for salt and vinegar on the table. After waiting 10 mins or so I had to get up and enquire instead. More training on customer service is definitely needed as it totally let down the experience. It's not a difficult thing to get right. Come on farmhouse get your act together!!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback on your experience at the Farmhouse. It is always good to receive constructive comments as it allows us to develop from them. We are currently in the process of providing the staff with more training to improve the all round standards and I do hope you will join us again and we can give your the 5* experience you deserve
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Just been to The Farmhouse with friends, table of 4 on Saturday evening. When we arrived at 7.30 the bar service was extremely slow. Not really busy at the time but staff seemed to be fiddling with buttons on the tills, staring at the screens rather than serving their waiting customers. We were shown to our table in the conservatory area on time and it seemed lovely overlooking the patio area and beyond. We quickly realised though just how noisy this area is. Admittedly a busy Saturday evening but loads of tables in there and we were having to shout just to hold a conversation between the 4 of us. We ordered mains and these were quite nice, as described on the menu but a little lacking in portion size for the price range. Our waitress was attentive and a nice pleasant young lady. 2 of the ladies decided to share a cheese platter for dessert at £7.50 along with 1of the men having a traditional pudding. When the cheese board arrived we had to send it back because the tiny pieces of cheese were hard and not freshly cut. The Stilton was all crust and the Red Leicester dried up and discoloured around the edges. The waitress bought a replacement which was no better, even smaller pieces so we again returned it and asked for it to be removed from our bill.
Overall impression was - very noisy, food Ok but nothing special and overpriced, we will not be returning I.m afraid.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for your honest feedback on your experience at The Farmhouse, I apologies that the cheese was not as you were expecting and I have passed your comments on to the chef who will make the appropriate changes to the storage and service of the dish. I am glad that you found the waitress attentive and pleasant, we put a lot of training in to our staff and although we are aware that there have been a few teething problems along the way we are taking all comments on board and making the appropriate changes to ensure we deliver high end standards in all areas.
derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Really impressed with the refurb of this place it's very on trend..
Have visited 4 times in the last couple of weeks and have not been disappointed..
Tried the pizzas which are super fresh
Tried the main meals which are very well thought through and the dishes complement each other perfectly..
And went this morning for breakfast which was amazing..fresh pancakes and berries,
Yummy
Non alcoholic cocktails are also a winner with me as I'm not a big drinker as you can still enjoy a special drink...

Can't wait to go again

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
We are very happy that we are on your favourite place list! With all of the changes we have made it is refreshing to know that people like what we have done and the drinks and food we offer.

Been to The Farmhouse at Mackworth? Share your experiences!