“Excellent food and friendly staff and surroundings” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 423 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Malt is a stylish yet cosy pub in the heart of the picturesque village of Aston on Trent situated between Nottingham and Derby.We offer a range of fine cask ales and premium lagers along with a good choice of wines and soft drinks.We aren't a restaurant, we are a pub offering great home cooked real pub food which is beautifully presented and served in stylish surroundings.We are passionate about customer service and go the extra mile to ensure that you enjoy your visit so much you will soon return.We welcome children but ask that they are supervised at all times and are not unaccompanied in the pub after 9pm.We welcome walkers and don't mind muddy boots and we also love dogs but ask that they are kept on a lead and off the furniture...there's always a bowl of fresh drinking water for our furry friends too!We have regular open mic' and music quiz nights and a weekly general knowledge quiz on a Tuesday from 9pm. Our website is currently under construction and will be live shortly. You will then be able to check all of our offers and forthcoming events which will be posted and updated on a regular basis.
Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and friendly staff and surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We had been invited to an 80th birthday party, Not being from the area, we were no to sure of the type and quality of food on offer.
We first got our beverages from the main bar, and when everyone had arrive were shown into the function room,
The meals arrived very quickly after being ordered, I decided to have steak medium rare, I must commend the staff for the BEST piece of steak I've ever tasted, it was so tasty and gristle free.
Others in the party also commented on how good and hot their food was.
The staff make this venue, very attentive and pleasant to speak with, in a time where every pub is closing down, its refreshing to find one that doesn't herd you in and out to try and gain every penny available.
Will I be going there again TO RIGHT I WILL!!
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

• Visited May 2014

Derby, United Kingdom
“Good Food and a Warm Welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We eat at The Malt mainly in summer, when the evenings are light enough to walk the dog, followed by a meal and glass of something at the pub.
Last night was our first visit since Christmas and we were greeted like old friends. One thing you will always get in The Malt is a warm welcome from the landlord, his wife and all the staff. They can't do enough for you.
Last night was the first night of a new menu. I had scampi and home made chips with salad, my husband had Hunter's chicken. The empty plates told their own story. We followed this with new desserts to the menu, treacle and ginger tart and orchard pudding. I have found the desserts to be the weak link in the past but these were both delicious.
The price including 2 medium glasses of pinot and 2 pints of cola was £37 which represents excellent value for money.
Thank you Matt and everyone at The Malt.

• Visited May 2014
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was our first visit to The Malt, it was a family meal for my husband's birthday. We are rather particular in where we eat. Having looked at the reviews I decided to 'give it a go'. Daft as it seems it was the price that made me a touch nervous - too good to be true? What excellent value, would have expected to pay more for the quality and portion size. The restaurant was fairly small but not cramped, the decor was classic & understated. The young waitress who served us was fab, (sadly didn't ask know her name), very helpful & knowledgeable. My daughter & her Boyfriend each had Mussels to start & she asked them on ordering if they would like bread with this, explaining it wasn't on the Menu but people often had bread, which they did at no extra charge. The food was excellent, piping hot & tasty. Service excellent, would have no problem recommending the Malt & we definitely will be back

• Visited April 2014
“Excellent pub grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Called in for lunch. Very nice decor and atmosphere. The staff were very friendly. I had belly pork with cabbage and mashed potato. It was very, very good. Hot and tasty with a nice gravy. Although the meal was very hot, the plate wasn't which could have been a problem had the food not been served immediately.
My partner had a Pate starter and a portion do cheesy chips which were real chips and not the frozen variety.
I felt the meal was not expensive and represented good value.
A very enjoyable experience and we will return.

Visited March 2014
“Valentines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Ive been to restaurants and paid a lot more that 25 quid for 3 Courses- but ive never had as good value as i did last night! Food was out of this world and the bill at the end didnt need a mortgage! Im going back!!!