“A different experience but room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reading, UK
“A different experience but room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I were staying in Derby for the evening and I picked out this restaurant before we arrived and booked in advance. The booking process was simple and I got confirmation via email.

Neither of us had tried a restaurant of this nature so were prepared to give it a go. The menu is a little limiting and the dessert choice pretty non exsistent, nothing that interested us anyway.
On arrival we were offered a seat by the window, which actually was pretty cold as the air was blowing in from outside. There was a heater behind us but not really sufficient to keep me warm.
They offered us bread before the meal which was a nice touch but the rolls were stone cold and could have benefited from being warmed up.
I ordered risotto balls for starter which actually had no flavour at all, they were nicely cooked though.
We both ordered sirloin steak on the black rock grill which was the main reason for us going. We were advised by the staff to remove the steak from the hot volcanic rock and cut into small pieces. This did mean you got a more even cooked steak but they only gave us a side plate which was a little tricky for cutting up a sirloin. That said the steak was tasty.
The service received was very good but we feel restaurant slightly lets us down on taste of starters and limited menu choice.

Visited October 2012

“Nice but will hopefully keep improving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This restaurant is, as per the other reviews, not the most straightforward to find, but once you do, their main steak attraction is worth it. The service we received was very friendly and attentive. I found the room itself a little bit bland and carelessly decorated. Clearly, this doesn't take away from the food but for me it did make a difference to the overall atmosphere of the place. Once the hot stone that they have been baking all day comes out with some meat to make on it that issue tends to fade into the background though.. I haven't considered trying the other meals on the menu nor do intend to as the hot stone steak is clearly the reason to visit this place!

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Quality food but smoky environment.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went there with a group of friends last weekend and we had a fantastic time. The novelty of this restaurant is that the steak is brought out raw, sitting on a hot 400˚C lava rock. You can cook the meat however you like it, rare/medium etc. The portion is average, not too big, and not too small.

The restaurant specialises in their steaks, so not much other food options are available. If you want rare meat like kangaroo/water buffalo, you have to pre-order at least 1 day beforehand.

The only drawback of this restaurant is that it gets really smokey in the evening and the ventilation is not that great. So you will leave the restaurants with smoky hair, clothes and coats. For the quality of the food, yes, I will recommend it to others.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely gem in Derby.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Visited here on 5th October as a treat for the Missus.
The restaurant is located above sadlergates and the entrance is on the side up an alley.
I had a Fillet Steak and the girlfriend had Gammon which we cooked ourselves on a volcanic rock slate on our plate!
The cuts of meat are of a high quality and are sourced locally.
My fillet steak was the best I have tasted and I cooked it all to my liking which is well done but also tried medium, rare and very rare as the cut was that great!
For deserts we both had the homemade treacle tart and ice cream which was a lovely light accompaniment to our full stomach.
Atmosphere in the couples dining area is cosy and personal.
The other area next to the bar for parties of 3 or more looks to have a great ambience. The overall feel of the place is old but very warming.
Service is excellent the waiter/waitresses know their restaurant and are very smiley. I asked for no salad with my meal and got extra chips which is a bonus!
Me and my girlfriend both have a desire to return and can't wait!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Super steaks sourced locally”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This restaurant has a big novelty factor in the hot lava rock that you cook your own steak on to your liking. Apart from that its simply a good steak restaurant (which I am not playing down here!). The quality of the meat is good and the alternatives from steak are enough to make you feel there is a plenty of choice. A good added touch is that the steaks are locally sourced - so added brownie points for that.

The waitress was incredibly friendly, serving our meal with a great sense of humor. Having been twice, the only slightly strange thing about this restaurant is that it is always half empty (despite being fully book) so it can lack atmosphere. So my only advice is - go with someone you like & then you wont notice ;-)

• Visited September 2012