“Great!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 405 restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: European
Description: Located in the centre of the vibrant city of Derby, Mansion Restaurant and Wine Bar caters to the increasingly selective local clientele, providing fabulous food and wine in a relaxed, stylish setting. Large and spacious, the airy bar-dining room is the perfect all day pick for chilled out lunches, romantic dinners or drinks with friends, food is served from 11am ���til late, with a 1am license meaning that your evening needn���t end abruptly before you���re ready. The brasserie menu here at Mansion offers a wide array of unpretentious dishes, ranging from the simplest of snacks to hearty all day breakfasts, picking platters and quick and easy sandwiches and jackets for speedy weekday lunches. However the more refined a la carte menu, overseen by talented chef Lisa Thorley, who trained in Buxton but learnt her trade in top London restaurants, is a focused selection of rich European modern classics made using seasonal and local ingredients wherever possible. Special events include ladies nights, themed music evenings and dances and Saturdays bring with them a decadent champagne breakfast.
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend came on valentines day, we were not disappointed. There was a nice atmosphere and food and service were both great. Can't wait for our next visit!

82% Recommend
“wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

was told about this place by a friend and was absolutely fantastic. came with my fiance for a valentines treat on Saturday 16th. we had the scallops to start followed by sea bass and beef which were cooked perfecfly and presented in an outstanding way. having eaten in many top restaurants this is easily one of the best and i look forward to my next visit. well done mansion!

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“An excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Been here twice before, first time fantastic, second time the service was average but today has been fantastic! We purchased a groupon voucher and the quality of food, drink and service was fab! Can't fault a single thing, would highly recommend. The roast pork was the best by far and the addition of desert (which we paid extra for) was well worth it. We will return again soon

Ripley, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I will admit, when I first walked in I felt very uncomfortable. There were no other diners, just a few gents at the bar who all turned round and stared at myself and my fiance as we walked in. It didn't feel good at all. We waited awkwardly in the middle of the room by the till area, but was told to sit at a booth by a member of staff who then told us we would be served by someone else.

A good while later a woman came to serve us and we were pleasantly surprised by how polite and cheery she was, which made us feel a whole lot more comfortable. We ordered our food and waited.

I selected the French onion soup for my starter and was shocked when it came out very quickly. And, even though it was fast, it didn't lack quality of taste. I HIGHLY recommend it. Just be careful in the cast iron pot it's served in. VERY hot.

My main course was also served quickly. I had decided to try the seafood tagliatelle, as I had never tasted crawfish before and was curious. It was not overcooked, the sauce had a lot of flavour and the scallops were incredibly juicy and delicious. However, the crawfish was very dry and chewy and I felt there was too many and it didn't mesh well. I devoured as much of them as I could though, as the meal was still amazing.

The drinks were interesting. I decided to have an old favourite. The white Russian. The hostess serving us kept reminding us that she was still in training, but she decided to have a go at it anyway after I told her how it was made. It may not have been a classic white Russian, but it was still very good and I may have them served like that in future. (Cream on top, vodka and kahlua layered on the bottom.)

So, with this in mind, I'd like to give a shoutout to Diane (If that was indeed her name, as it was listed on the bill.) You did a good job. Kind service, friendly chatter and honest.

All in all, our anniversary experience started off feeling awkward, but was amazing by the end of it. I'd highly recommend trying Mansion.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Derby
“Oh dear!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Got a group on voucher for Sunday lunch with cocktails and a sharing platter. I had never been before but had heard really good reports from friends so I was looking forward to it. Booked in for last Sunday at 5 pm. My husband and I turned up and I opened the door to bedlam! I thought I had walked into McDonalds !! There were kids running around and shouting. I just didn't expect it. Anyway we requested a table as far away from the kids as possible. We then ordered cocktails which were made and then left on the bar for 10 minutes until I asked them to bring them over!! All the staff were young women aged about 18 to 20 and although they were working hard I don't think they really knew what to do about the kids.

My other complaint was the music, it was disco! I don't really want to eat my Sunday dinner to Chakka Khan!!! If there had been a manager around I am sure they would have changed the music to cater for the majority of middle aged couples who were also trying to enjoy their Sunday inners.

Don't get me wrong the food was good but the whole feel of the place was not the sophisticated wine bar we expected. The final straw came as the waitress collected our plates. She asked me if I would like a desert and I asked to see the desert menu. She said ok and then proceeded to go about her business. After 10 minutes my husband lost patience and said let's get the coats and go. So he went to get them and the girl came over and said 'I thought you wanted to see the desert menu?' I replied 'yes I did but we are leaving it now'. She looked gobsmacked. So I never did get to see
I am not sure i can be bothered to give the place another chance!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Weappreciatehonesty, Owner at Mansion, Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I regret to read that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. However, any experience that is less than perfect calls for improvement on our part.

Regarding your concerns about the service. This aspect of our operation is usually considered excellent and very often receives compliments from our guests. We are therefore sorry and extremely disappointed that you were not similarly impressed and that our standards had clearly slipped.

As the owner of the business I was on duty until 4pm, being called away at this time as my 4 year old son was ill. One of the other owners/managers was on holiday. Hence your observation was correct.

In regards to children running around, we do actively allow kids to dine along with their parents as we perceive Sunday to be a family day. I apologise if the parents of these children allowed them to become unruly.

Again I understand your thoughts on the music being played, it was a 70s/80s disco compilation. We do have a mix of music that we play from Soul to Motown, R&B, Pop to chill out. I will revisit this selection to make sure its appropriate for the time of day/week.

We want to make sure future guests do not have a similar experience and will take every possible action necessary. We base the continuous improvement of 'Mansion' on our guests constructive criticism/feedback. We do request that whilst dining with us you notify us of anything that does not meet your standards and provide a customer feedback form with your bill. We are always eager to go above and beyond to ensure that every guest has a wonderful and memorable experience with us.