“Great central hotel” 5 of 5 stars

“Great central hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel .. Well pleased with our stay
Large clean fresh rooms .great value. Great staff
Well deffo be back again

• Stayed March 2012
HamptonbyHilton, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Derby City Centre, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, that the room quality was to your liking and that you found the staff to be helpful,

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Team Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Melbourne/Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This hotel was very good. I would have rated it 5 stars, but for the disastrous car park situation. Website says parking across the street in the Westfield, but it is ridiculously unsigned, and no-where is it stated that there is a small 'loading' zone where you can drop off your bags before parking.

After lugging our suitcases through the public carpal, down steps, and across busy roads, was quite surprised to find a lovely hotel, obviously quite brand new.

Check in was easy & pleasant. The room itself was clean and modern, as was the bathroom. Great shower! Towels were tiny though.

In the morning, breakfast was included in the room rate, and was excellent.

All in all, great value for money and well worth it if you have to stay in Derby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor, it is the same floor as reception.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Carly.

First of all let me say thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, we really appreciate it.

I understand that the situation with the car-park is inconvenient but being a new, city centre hotel without a car-park we make the best out of the situation by using the closet available, secure car park and we offer a 50% discounted rate in comparison to there normal, non hotel patrons rate.

It seems that once in the hotel you had a lovely time and that makes us all feel good here at Hampton by Hilton, knowing that our guests are enjoying themselves is very important to us, finally, thanks for the kind words on our rooms and complimentary breakfast.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was in Derby for a short business trip, and spent one night at the Hampton by Hilton. Having previously lived in Derby, this one was new to me as it has only been open since December 2010 I think. I have to say that this is a fantastic addition to the hotels in Derby, where many of the alternatives are old and run down. It is located in the new development that includes the bus station, casino, bar and restaurants. For Derby, the location is really good.

The check-in process was very efficient and the girl was very helpful. Within a matter of minutes I was already in my room the 4th floor, which is where the reception is located too. The room itself was a lot bigger than i had expected, and in very good condition with a nice bathrom too. The room is well equipped and includes free internet (through cable - wifi would be welcome). The bed is comfortable, along with the mini sofa provided in order to watch the flat-screen TV.

The free breakfast was also pretty good with a small selection of cooked breakfast (sausage, bacon, eggs, etc) and continental breakfast (fruit, muesli, cereals, breads), plus drinks (juices, coffee, tea)

In summary, this is a great hotel for Derby and with a room rate of £70 it is exceptional value in comparison with other hotels in the town. I will certainly be staying here if I ever have to come back to Derby.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HamptonbyHilton, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Derby City Centre, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Hello Chris

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and for your very kind comments, they're greatly appreciated, especially from a top contributor on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad you found our hotel to your liking and that you find us a great addition to Derby's hotels, it means a lot to us here at Hampton by Hilton and we look forward to having you back with us in the future.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Stayed at the Hampton by Hilton hotel in Derby during March 2012. Attended a course in Derby which is a pretty uninspiring place but the hotel itself is excellent. Located in a new building above the bus station the hotel is accessible by a lift from ground level. The reception is on the 4th floor where my room was also located.

Checking in was easy and the two girls on reception were welcoming and friendly. Check-in took just a couple of minutes and the staff were at pains to give me all the hotel details quickly and comprehensively without delaying me.

I then made my way to my room just down the corridor from reception. The room was spacious with a nice bathroom containing a shower but no bath. Three canisters of body wash, shampoo and conditioner were provided in the shower along with numerous fluffy towels. The TV was of a large widescreen type with Freeview channels. I had a double bed which was comfortable and I had a great nights sleep with no noise from outside whatsoever even though the hotel is situated above a busy bus station.

A minor criticism is the internet in the rooms on a cable connection and not wireless. For a new hotel this is rather confusing and mildly irritating. I would like to have been able to sit on the sofa in order to surf the internet but was restricted to the desk due to the length of the cable. I did end up using my mobile phone as a hotspot. Wireless internet however is available in public areas.

The air conditioning was simple to use, quiet and very efficient. Amongst the best I've come across in any hotel. The hotel has no restaurant for evening meals but they do provide utensils, trays and details of local takeaway restaurants. There is a snack bar behind reception along with a small bar area selling alcohol. The snack bar as far as I could see had sandwiches, crisps, chocolate bars but nothing hot.

Another point of note is the absolutely excellent inclusive breakfast. A lovely buffet selection of cereals, breads, juices, coffee, tea, cooked breakfast etc etc. The breakfast alone is enough to make me want to stay there again. I just wished they had bigger plates in an Alan Partridge style!!!

There is a gym on the 2nd floor which I didn't visit but I understand there are some cardio machines and weights in there.

All in all it is clear the staff are motivated and very well trained. The hotel is comfortable and for the £85 I spent was value for money. I am guessing it is possible to get the rate reduced by booking more in advance.

It would be even better if there was wireless internet in the rooms!

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 4th floor for the views across Derby.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

As with most reviews in Trip Advisor, you get the odd extreme review from people who expect a 7 star hotel for 1 star money. I tend to ignore these reviews. I also tend to ignore the reviews that are overly gushing with praise. I thought it may be useful if I updated my earlier review of this hotel as I have stayed in this pace an additional 10+ times since my last review.

In my earlier review I titled it the Best Rooms in Derby - and I still tend to agree with this. I was worried that as the hotel aged the rooms would start to look grubby - this is not the case, all the rooms are very clean and the staff that clean the room are absolutely first class. The reception staff are always friendly and attentive. I still stand by the previous comments. I would only add a couple of small gripes - which should not put anyone off staying at this hotel. The scrambled egg in the breakfast is the worst scrambled egg in the world. They must have changed how they make this but over the past four months it is really bad. My other very minor gripe (and this is minor) as a Hilton Honours Diamond Member I rarely receive a larger room with city / river view or any additional add ons that I receive in other hiltons. But as I said this does not stop me staying here, nor should it let it stop you. I have one slight concern with a very large restaurant opened up below the hotel, I hope that night time noise does not become an issue.

To end this review I would like to plea to the manager / owner / head honcho/ le grande fromage, please say thanks to your staff on behalf of the team ten sherrif as they are excellent, and I am looking forward to my next stay (which will probably be this week) in your lovely hotel - especially if you change the scrambled eggs!!!

For those of you who are now thinking "wait a minute I should ignore overly gushing reviews like this guys said at the start of this review" that's up to you, but don't ignore how good this hotel is, but remember it does not kid on to be a full service hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
South Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed with a group of friends in 3 seperate rooms at the Hampton Hilton during Feb 12 and really enjoyed our one night stay. Upon arrival all the rooms were ready and the hotel lobby looked very upmarket. I'd booked the 3 rooms and the other guests couldnt believe we were staying in such a lovely hotel for the price we had paid. Not only a bargain for the room we got breakfast the next morning as well which was of high quality. Location of the hotel is good right next to the shopping centre and an easy walk into town which we did that night. Overall this is a highly recommended hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to use again if we were to re-visit the area. Well done!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

This hotel is convenient if you want to get into the city center, the only downside is that the parking is a few minutes walk from the hotel, and it is not free.

The rooms are smart, very clean, with flat screen TVs and internet. The beds are very comfortable - more like a 5 star hotel bed.

I have found the staff to be generally very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: If you request an accesible room, for no additional charge you get a larger room with a much bigger...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton by Hilton Derby City Centre? Share your experiences!