“A decent 4 star hotel near Alton Towers” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Etwall Road, Derby DE3 0XX, England   |
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Derby
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cornwall
“A decent 4 star hotel near Alton Towers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights last weekend, as we wanted somewhere decent to stay near to Alton Towers. The hotel was very nice, the staff were helpful and the bedroom large and well furnished and the bed was very comfortable. We used all the leisure facilities, there was a really well equipped gym, and a swimming pool for my son to use. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Wigan, Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed on a mid-week break as we were going to an antique fair for 2 days. On arrival a bit dissappointed with the frontage, but on entering the lobby of the hotel, it all changed. We had a cosy spotless room (views aren't great at this hotel) and a lovely hospitality tray. The breakfast, buffet, pleanty and good quality. Evening meal was included in the package and the we thought it was good for the price we paid. Overall, you can't go wrong, give it a try!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

very good, had a lovely break there with my girlfriend,the facilities are second to none, food was excellent and the whole experience was wonderful, would have been 5 star if not for a bit of a mix up on our booking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our friends got married on 2nd June, so we stayed here on the Friday & Saturday night. From the minute we checked in to the minute we checked out was one of the best stays in a UK hotel we have experienced so far. The receptionist was so helpful with us. Our daughter was arriving early on Saturday morning before the wedding and I think her name was Natalie, arranged for her room to be ready early so she could shower and dress in her own room. Nothing was too much trouble for them and anything we needed they helped us every time.
The staff in the restaurant couldn't have been more attentive. We had a meal in there on Friday night, the food was delicious and beautifully presented. The breakfast is fantastic also, a really good freshly cooked selection, as well as cereals, toast, fruit etc.
Jack & all the other bar staff were superb and very friendly too.
The whole weekend was absolutely wonderful and I would certainly recommend it to anybody planning on staying in Derby.
Thank you to all at Mickleover Court Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oakley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I booked the Michleover Hotel, Derby as a surprise Honeymoon treat for my husband after we had the most amazing wedding at the Menzies Hotel Flitwick Manor hotel in April this year. To be fair this came as a special offer £118.00 for two, one night, dinner, bed & breakfast with a half bottle of wine with the evening meal. So to a degree you get what you pay for,(and this was about the same as we would have paid via a late booking website, so not really a 'special offer') However, my main reason for booking was the picture of the pool & spa. As we have had a very hectic time since our wedding I thought we would be able to have a relaxing afternoon by the pool & use the spa. Sadly the spa was out of order and the pool a lot smaller than the picture on the website. We decided against using it.
We did arrive early and after checking in with reception were given our room key, 319 on entering the lift the smell of smoke was very strong and a surprise. Worst was to come when we got out of the lift the smell was overpowering. This was also in our room despite it being non smoking. We went back to reception to ask if there was smoking allowed, apparently five rooms are smoking rooms on the third floor. We commented on the smell in our room and were advised perhaps someone had been 'sneaky' and had a cigarette!!As I am allergic to the smell of smoke and this has made me quite ill in the past We asked if we could have a change of room, And again to be fair after a time we were given another room on the first floor. The hotel is near a main road with very little near to walk to without driving. We went for a walk along the old train track, this is accessed by the road opposite the hotel. Not very exciting. When we came back we went to the bar and ordered food. The hotel boasts excellence for it's food, sadly this fell well below that. as a side dish to a chilli I ordered aTomato ciabatta with garlic oil that came as plain ciabiatta & olive oil the Restaurant Manager was very helpful in addressing the problem, we were offered a drink which we declined. We were asked if we would be eating in the restaurant that evening and he would see us there. We went for our evening meal which was included in the price, the menu choice is good and you pay a supplement if you want to order off the set menu. I ordered a steak and asked for medium to well done, this came up as rare, The waiter took this away and returned very quickly with the same steak (I did say I didn't mind this as my husband was not eating his meal until mine returned) The steak had been microwaved. Again the Manager was very helpful and took the additional charge for the steak off the price. Overall the vegetables were very bland and tasteless, the chunky chips were cold and not eaten. Not quite the romantic evening I was looking forward to. The Hotel also lacks any atmosphere, the staff while helpful lack the energy we have experienced in other hotels. It was ashame after arriving at 12pm by 3pm my husband was asking if we could go home. So I'm sorry this is a very negative review. It is how it was for us and may be better for other guests, I wouldn't rate this as 4 star, It could do with a freshen up and an injection of life.

Room Tip: Unless you are a smoker avoid the third floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have stayed here on many occasions and have always had a lovely stay. The staff are second to none and are very helpful. I always stay here when on business in the area, as after having stayed in many other hotels in the area over the years, have found that others do not stand up to my satisfaction. The leisure facilities in the Mickleover Court are fantastic. The staff are always very helpful and willing to assist with gym equipment and offer advise where requested. I can only assume that the guest whom complained about a situation with a towel must have been ill-sighted and rude towards the staff and may be! The towel bin in the changing room is big enough for even the most partially of sighted person to see and towels in them I can safely assume is a good give away! It is a shame the spa was under maintenance on my last visit but I am looking most forward to my next visit when it should be open again. The sauna and steam rooms are always lovely to relax in of an evening and the pool always nice and warm. Breakfast is fresh and varied with both full English and continental offered – a great start to the day!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Leyland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Hotel looks nice and the Check in was pleasant and room very good although I wouldn't pay the Room rate got this on late rooms deal. Good room Good TV choice as I was with my son and there was a lot of Channel choice. Disapointed by the rubbish hollow fibre pillows. I had neck ache in the morning. Will travel with a feather pillow in the car just in case in future! Lovely Pool and Very Friendly customers who visit regularly and gfave the heads up on where to eat. My son loved the pool so much that we went in again next morning. The Leisure staff though I though were lazy and off putting. I took my towels back to where I had got them from assuming they took them in for laundering in and they said I had to take them back up the stairs back to the changing rooms as there was a basket in there. (if I had seen that I would have used it) They were both chatting and I had obviously interupted their cosy little gossip by asking them to do some work. Politly I took the towels back but wish I had chucked the towels at them and told them where they could shove them but not an example I wanted to set my 7 year old! Didn't have breakfast included. so can't comment on that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Menzies Mickleover Court? Share your experiences!