“Lovely stay with a few flaws” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Derby
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Essex
“Lovely stay with a few flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I really want to give this full marks but rarely do I unless they really go beyond expectations. Stayed with girlfriend for one night to work alongside a quick business meeting during the day. The room itself is lovely with a great view on the 3rd floor overlooking the river. Bed was comfy and the bathroom was great, has all you expect from a standard room. The one thing that stopped it being full marks from me was the wafer thin walls and slamming doors. During the night we had to put up with the room next door and their romantic ways, didn't sleep to well and I think they would of challenged any wall thickness. But I felt I was in the room with them without sounding too strange. The door slamming was crazy and happening up and down the hallway. Was a crazy set of banging in the morning. But on another night I'm sure I would of had a much better experience.

Special mention to Stacey who assisted me with flowers and chocolates for the room in short notice, many thanks.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the hotel. I am gald you enjoyed the stay overall. Being said that we are taking your comments onboard to see how we may make our guest experience better. I am gald to hear the Stacy in the reception was very helpful and I hope to see you again on your next visit to Derby.

Thomas Panickamuriyil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very helpful reception at this city centre hotel. 4th Floor rooms excellent and well away from the Bus station side of the hotel. 4th floor also houses the restaurant and you do not need your room keycard in the lift for this floor. Only drawback is the hike back to the multi storey carpark - the entrance for which is on the further side away from the hotel. But £7.00 for almost 3 days city centre parking is excellent value.

Room Tip: Book on the 4th floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the hotel and I am touched by your comment "Derby delights fron Holiday Inn Riverlights" . I am gald to hear that the hotel was convienent for your needs and thank you for your patience regarding the car parking issue.

I hope you see you again on your travels to Derby.

Kind Ragards

Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Styled several times at his hotel and have always found it to be good standard. The rooms are pleasant enough and well laid out with all you need for he night. The bar area was well stocked with decent selection. The evening meals also offered a good choice of styles.
Parking is across the road and a nuisance when raining, you must get a voucher from reception when leaving.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you taking the time in reviewing the hotel. I am grateful for your patience and we understand your difficulty when it comes to the car parking, I hope you will not be detered and give us a leeway since we are a city centre hotel.

I again thank you for your comments and look foward to seeing you again.

Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After spending an overnight business trip in derby there is nothing worse than being awaken by the noisy busses that are in the bus station underneath oh yes there is the maid knocking on your door repeatedly and then entering your room and saying sorry at 9 0 clock in the morning. If check out is at 11am why on earth would a maid come and wake you up at 9am. Nursing a hangover i just wanted a quiet lie in however that was not to be the case. Whoever decided to build a hotel above a bus station is not the cleverest of businessmen. If it wasnt for the above mentioned points it would have been a pleasant overnight business trip with a nice bar upstairs and ok rooms with basic amenities

Room Tip: try and go as high as possible the 3rd and 4th floor are very noisy dont know of the rest
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear GavClark,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. It is disappointing to know that you did not enjoy this most recent visit due to the noise levels experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, thanks for the candid feedback and my apologies for the shortcomings experienced.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We booked a one night stay as we were going to the theatre.
The staff are very welcoming and helpful. Our room was spacious and clean and still had the new carpet smell!
Breakfast was lovely and had everything from fruit to full English.
Only downside was the parking which is a short walk away in a multi storey carpark. It's not fair away but if the weather is bad you could get very wet carrying cases over!
I also put in the non slip mat into bath for my shower but I slipped on the mat banging my leg badly. I think it was cleaned possibly with something with a coating on it. I didn't report it as my leg was just very red and we checked out am. Later that day I noticed my leg was black and blue, very deep bruising about six inches by inch wide!
Make sure you bath is not Slippy!
Apart from that it's great!

• Stayed May 2013
GMHIDerbyRiverlights, Manager at Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
“Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time in writing a nice review. I am glad that you liked the rooms and happy to know that the staff was very welcoming and helpful. Being a city centre hotel unfortunately the car parking can be a issue but I am grateful for your patience on the matter.
I also thank you for enlightening me on the bath mat issue. Please contact me at the hotel hence we may investigate the matter further to ensure the same does not happen in the future . I look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Thomas Panickamuriyil “
Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The room we had booked was an executive room number 325. It was worth that little bit extra money as it had a large seating area and plenty of space to spread out. It's design might not up to everyone taste but it was clean. The bath room was a little on the small side but that was ok.

The location was superb as it is in the centre of Derby right next to the bus station. If you have a car then park in the Westfield multi story a few minutes walk from the hotel.

The room was situated on thee 3rd floor and was very quiet during the night, considering it was bank holiday saturday night.

The only let down was that the cooked breakfast was a little on the greasy side, and we had to ask for coffee of the waitress.

The front of house staff at reception tho were very help full and also when booking the room we asked for a hight floor and the staff in the reservation sorted this out for us.

Other than that was a great stay and would definitely use it again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for the nice review. I am glad that you liked our executive and happy to know that the staff was helpful during the booking process. As you mentioned being a city centre hotel we are right perfect for both business men and if you are out on a shopping spree in Derby.

Thank you for your comments about the breakfast and we have discussed the matter with our chefs and will be taking necessary steps to ensure the quality is maintained. I assure you it is not reflective of our normal standards. I hope to see you soon on your next visit to Derby.

Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Really nice new hotel smack in the heart of Derby. Great for shopping and access, but no parking other than Westfield shopping centre which was a bit of a pain. Dave on reception was so friendly and funny, the Exec room was stunning (better than many twice-the-price hotels we've stayed in) and the bar on the 4th floor was lovely; although I think Dave may have over-sold the view a bit (it was ok but not exactly Venice!) Great place though and great value.

Room Tip: Exec rooms are worth the extra, they're massive plus you get a free Mars bar :-)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad that you liked the rooms and happy to know that Dave was very welcoming and helpful even though he over sold you on the lovely view bit. Being a city centre hotel unfortunately the car parking can be a issue but I am grateful for your patience on the matter.
I hope to see you again on you next shopping spree in Derby.

Thomas Panickamuriyl

Been to Holiday Inn Derby Riverlights? Share your experiences!