“Viva Cucina” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cucina

Cucina
26/28 Green Lane, Derby DE11RP, England (Formerly Cafe Cucina Restaurant)
01332 346796
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 405 restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Description: Family run Italian trattoria, newly re-opened by the second generation. Serving homemade seasonal Italian food, in a casual dining atmosphere. Open from 5pm to 10pm Tuesday to Saturday.
“Viva Cucina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Just returned home from our first ever visit to Cucina, which is celebrating its first Christmas since opening. We had been made aware that, as is the case with most similar restaurants in Derby, we would be limited to a Christmas menu but this was really only applicable to a turkey choice.
Pasta dishes could be taken as either starters or mains, and so while I started with the sea food tagliatelle, my wife had it as a main and tried a delicious smoked salmon tartare for her starter.
Both were succulent and tasty good size portions, attractively presented.
My main was the slow cooked pork in fennel and apple sauce, again a well thought out dish with 2 good size cuts of pork.both tender and moist
For deserts we chose the caramelised banana bread and butter pudding and roasted fruit and almond Bakewell. Again man sized portions served hot. Lovely mix of flavours and impeccable textures. All in all an excellent experience, made even more so by the very competitive prices - particularly bar and coffees.
Although only 2 staff were actually working our side of the kitchen area, they were discreetly attentive and approachable.
The manager even apologised for the fact that the menu was, in his words, rather limited and we were able to reassure him that we will be happy to revisit when the restrictions of catering for the Christmas party brigade are lifted.
Well worth adding to your "Must give it a try" list before it reaches its full potential

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We'll worth a visit. We ate from the 3 course menu and it was faultless. Italian with a modern twist. My partner had smoked salmon tartar with a poached egg and I had slow cooked beef with tagliatelle to start. For mains it was the beef pasta and I had the salmon on a bed of giant cous cous with pomegranate which was the best main course I have eaten in a good few years.

The service was excellent and the owner has a nice chat to us. I also liked the fact that the tables were spread out and not crammed in. Will definitely return.

Visited December 2013
“Nice little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We visited as a party of 4 and at late notice they managed to find us a table. The host was very welcoming, jovial and made you feel like he was welcoming you into his house.

The menu was not exactly extensive, but it's a small restaurant and what we had was lovely. I had a tagliatelle dish, with beef brisket and it was fantastic. I recommend having that as your main, because if there was no-one looking and no-one there, then I would have quite happily licked the plate clean. The couple that we were with, had the pork and they found it equally delicious.

The reason I took away a star was because of the desserts. My girlfriend tried the doughnut, ice cream and bacon(?!), which worked, but it was just ok. I had the banana bread and butter pudding which was very bland. You could only get a faint taste of banana, so both desserts were a thumbs down.

But it's a lovely little restaurant, a wonderful host and the main courses were delicious. I'd just pass on the desserts.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I visited Cucina with a group of friends just before Christmas as part of our "Tour of Derby restaurants" experience. Due to the time of year I was advised before the day that the menu would be their Christmas menu but this was certainly not the standard boring turkey, veg etc that so many churn out at this time of year.
Each course was a lovely and very imaginative creation that had a festive charm but was very high quality. The most creative dessert in my eyes was the Doughnut bites, maple glaze and crispy bacon with vanilla ice cream. The bacon made it sound rather Heston Blumenthal and it turned out to be wonderful!

The staff were very attentive and catered to our every need without being intrusive.

The menu was a set price per person but the selection could be two or three courses with the appropriate adjustment in price. Cost was very reasonable making budgeting easy.

It's a restaurant I could recommend to anyone and it's on our list of locations to visit more than once. Very few come into that category but we were told the menu changes every few weeks so we look forward to trying it in mid year.

Visited December 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
“Simply very very good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We went to Cucina for the first time yesterday with friends and we were very impressed. The restaurant itself is spacious and attractive. The menu is Italian, without being overly traditional, and is small - 3 starters, 3 additional pasta/risotto dishes that can be served as a starter or main, 3 mains and 3 puds. But to be honest, when the food is this good, you don't need more choice as everything was cooked to perfection.The pasta with braised steak in particular was incredibly tasty. I liked the fact that it was a fixed price for 2 or 3 courses, so everyone felt comfortable picking exactly what we wanted without worrying that we were being the greediest!

The wine is very reasonably priced starting at £11 per bottle and they served very good coffee too. The restaurant is family owned and the service is excellent. With 2 bottles of wine and tip it came to less that £30 a head which is a genuine bargain for food this good. I will certainly be going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere