“Fantastic stay, yet again!” 5 of 5 stars

Birchover Darley Abbey
Church Lane North | Darley Abbey, Derby DE22 1EU, England   |
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Derby
Surrey
“Fantastic stay, yet again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Birchover never ever fails to impress me. We had a fantastic weekend away with friends to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The rooms, as always, were super clean and to a very high spec. Tiny things had been thought of, from an ipod docking station to a cafetiere. Staff were friendly but not over-imposing and, even though there wasn't any reason to contact them during our stay, they gave you the absolute feeling that nothing would have been a problem for them.

The beds and bedding are extremely comfortable and the sauna (off the main en suite) just adds that little bit of luxury that makes these apartments stand out from the rest of accommodation that's on offer in Derby.

The outside areas (car park, gardens etc) are also clean and extremely well maintained. We all walked across the road and into Darley Abbey village. Its about a twenty minute walk and the park is really pretty. Theres a large tea rooms that seemed really popular but we bypassed that and headed for the pub in the village (The Abbey). Good beer and nice for a cheap lunch.

I have no hesitation in recommending these apartments - top notch hotel luxury with loads of space and every detail thought of.

Will we be going back - of course.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear mrkbtlr

Thank you (once again) for your review of us here on Trip Advisor. We were very happy that you booked to return with several friends and it is always a pleasure having you come to stay with us. I hope that you had a fantastic wedding anniversary and it seems you had fun exploring the local area! As a real ale lover, I totally concur with you on the good beers in The Abbey pub - it's definitely our favourite local here.

You stayed on the same weekend as the lady in the review below, so once again I am immensely proud to give Chrissy recognition for another memorable welcome - well done Chrissy! Since joining the management team in September, every single one of the 25 reviews we've had on Trip Advisor since then have been 100%...that's some record! Well done.

Ann and Maria (also mentioned in the previous review) were the ladies responsible for your 'super clean' apartments.

We are really pleased that so many aspects of your weekend with us on this special occasion were positive. Our team are passionate about making sure that everyone has a relaxing time and even more so when it's for a special occasion.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you again and thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review (for a second time!).

Carl, Lisa and the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Visited these superb apartments for the first time using a travel-zoo voucher. Original offer was for one night but was emailed an offer for a second night which we took advantage of. Lovely friendly people to deal with including a courtesy phone call the day before our visit. Our apartment was on third floor easily accessed by lift or stairs. Everywhere was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The apartment had everything that we could possibly need and so comfortable and spacious. The sauna was a great bonus. We had a wonderful stay with easy access to the Derbyshire Dales and Peak District. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms are to the same high standard.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear sue n

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of our hotel and of the staff. It's really heartening to see that you felt we were lovely, friendly people to deal with.

For the umpteenth time recently, it was Chrissy on Reception who would have been responsible for welcoming you to Birchover. Anna (who we recently presented with a bouquet of flowers for consistently being responsible for great Trip Advisor reviews), together with Maria and Karen were the ladies who cleaned your 'spotless' apartment.

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend exploring the local area and I am really pleased that you would like to return. We are really looking forward to welcoming you back.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed 2 nights and were blown away by the beautiful decor. What an amazing apartment and great value. The beds were so comfortable we had our children sleeping in past 8:30am the next morning (which never happens!) We will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Marissa P

Wow! Thank you so much for your review and we, too, are blown away! We're really pleased that you've taken the time (6 months after your stay) to write such a lovely review. And to see that you "will definitely return" when you live in Melbourne is amazing!! I'm so pleased that we must have made such a good impression.

As parents of two young children, Lisa and I can totally sympathise with how you must have felt when your children slept in past 8.30am!! What bliss.

We've now had 38 reviews on Trip Advisor since you stayed last September - and 37 of those have given us 100%. I really am so proud of the team for consistently delivering such great service. Perhaps you were the catalyst and lucky charm in us going on this run of terrific reviews and so it will be a nice challenge for us now to keep this up until you decide to return!

Thank you so much once again and I'll definitely make sure I take the time to come and say thank you personally when you make your next trip over from Melbourne.

Best wishes to you and your family,
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights using a groupon voucher so it was great value. We were on the 2nd flour facing the road which is quite busy but did not bother us. The apartment was well equipped with everything you need to prepare meals.

Unlike a lot of hotels we did not hear any noise from the other apartments. The bedroom was large with lots of wardrobes but perhaps needed a few more drawers for smaller items. The bed was very comfortable.

I used the sauna several times which was a real treat after a cold day wandering around Hardwick Hall.

I would recommend this hotel for business people who need to work in Derby for an extended period. Families with children who might be fussy eaters as you can prepare all your food and there are several large supermarkets nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Awthin

Thank you very much for your review. I am reasonably confident that I have identified you and have written to you personally to say thank you (so I do hope I'm right!!). The team will be thrilled that yet another guest has taken the time to write a review giving us top marks and you've even managed to mention a couple of points that haven't been highlighted in any reviews in recent months.

Something that seems to be a theme in recent feedback I've received directly from guests is that they've been pleasantly surprised by how soundproof the apartments are - it was therefore really nice to read that you also felt that was the case. Because there are only two apartments on each floor, there is such a low propensity for people to be disturbed by other guests and this is something we should perhaps highlight more, so thank you for doing so.

Hardwick Hall also often gets overlooked, with so many other stately homes and visitor attractions in the vicinity - and it was lovely to see that the sauna warmed some cold bones after your wintry walk!

Thank you also for highlighting some of the target markets we work so hard to attract! We may have to create a marketing role for you!! We do indeed feel the apartments are great for business guests (and that is where the vast majority of our business emanates) but we're also growing increasingly popular with families - as evidenced by the review above this one, which I know is from a family who stayed with us from abroad.

Within the wardrobes, we do have some large square 'draws' and the two bedroom apartments also have a 'tallboy' chest of drawers with five or six draws in (I'm now having an internal debate as to whether it should be 'draws' or 'drawers'...) but we'll certainly look at whether these can be better provided in the one bedroom apartments.

Thank you again so much for your varied and very positive review. I hope that we can welcome you back in the future - perhaps for a more clement walk around Hardwick and other National Trust properties.

Cardiff, Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

What a fabulous place and at the risk of repeating previous reviews it is superb accomodation.

Plenty of parking, but we arrived on one of the Trent Barton "Sixes" buses from the bus station. As an aside one of the cleanest and best laid out bus stations I have ever seen. Great buses too, clean and friendly bus drivers who give change.

Back to the apartment - really spacious and well laid out. Even though it is near main roads the windows block the noise out and there were no other guests to be heard either. A very peaceful night's sleep. The windows let a lot of light in, which was lovely on a sunny day.

The kitchen had everything we needed - dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer. All the equipment you could need, including kitchen towel, washing up liquid, tea, coffee, and a pint of milk and orange juice.

The bedroom is spacious with ample wardrobe space. The bed a little hard for us, but lovely duvet and great pillows.

The en suite bathroom was also roomy and of course contained a sauna, which we didn't have time to use.

The free WiFi was excellent. I've stayed in posh hotels where the WiFi hasn't been free or so fast.

We will definitely come back soon! (Carl, can we have a discount? ;-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear David_Avery

We are so pleased that you had a great stay with us and felt moved to write such a detailed review of the accommodation. I am sorry that you felt the bed was hard and when you choose to return, we'll take time to see if the Meet & Greet/housekeeping team can identify softer beds than the one in the apartment in which you stayed. I'm sure we'll be able to.

I'm glad that you were pleased with all the other aspects of your stay and it looks like you'd like to return, so hopefully you'll be able to use the sauna on that visit!

The Wifi was upgraded last year to a top-of-the-range Cisco system and we placed wireless access points outside every pair of apartments, so the speed does tend to be extremely fast.

I will pass on your comments re Trent Barton to my contact there - they'll be pleased to see that! As will the council, who recently revamped the tired old bus station into the sleek, modern facility you see now.

I've emailed you personally regarding returning and it would be great to meet you next time you're here to thank you for the review. I'll see if we can get you complimentary day-rider tickets on the buses too, so you can explore the Peak District in comfort!

coventry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in apartment 32 in a superior apartment for our anniversary weekend. What can I say. This place is amazing, we were surprised at how spacious the 1 bedroom apartment actually was. The living room area was very relaxing and the freeview and dvd player was a nice touch. The kitchen was fully equipt with everything we needed as we brought in some food to make for 1 evening. The bedroom was great, comfy bed and very spacious. The bathroom was clean and modern, and the sauna was one of the best features of the apartments and adds a unique touch which we have not seen before in any other hotels/apartments we have stayed in.
It was such a cosy feeling to the apartment and most of the weekend we just wanted to sit in and relax rather than go out as it was such a nice environment to stay in.
We were welcomed by Chrissy on reception who went out of her way to accomdate anything we needed. Parking was great right outside our apartment block so did not have to carry our stuff in from too far away. We took a taxi to the centre which was around £6 each way. There is a nice pub called the broadway, straight down the road less than 1 mile away if you wanted to walk it is possible.
I have just booked again for another 2 night stay in April, looking forward to returning again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear kiran k

Thank you so much for your review of Birchover and, as you've mentioned in the review, we're already looking forward to seeing you again next month! It's always wonderful when guests have such a good stay that they return so soon.

Your review is very comprehensive and I am sure it will be useful for potential guests considering coming to stay with us. All 1 bedroom apartments are as spacious as the one you stayed in (they're all identical in size and layout - the differences are down to the furnishings, electrical items and toiletries, etc) and so I'm pleased to confirm your next stay will be equally as relaxing from that point of view.

It's great to see Chrissy receive yet another mention for great service; this is becoming a common theme, Chrissy! Well done. And the ladies who ensured you had such a clean apartment were Jean and Magine.

I'm sure we'll speak before you next return, but thank you so much for this informative and positive review.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This place is just fab . Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and they are so freindly and make you feel very welcome . The apartments are spotless which is a must for me and there is everything you need plus more . Derby is 5 mins in a taxi and has lots of bars and eating places . The next time we visit derby we will definitely return here for our accommodation .

• Stayed February 2014
Dear maisie155

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. On the night that you stayed, Chrissy (the lady on Reception) sent us all an email saying how lovely you were, so it's great to see that the feeling was reciprocated. I'm also pleased to see that you thought that the apartment was spotless - Karen, Sharon S and Sharon B were the ladies who cleaned your apartment on that date.

I am really pleased that you'll return to Birchover whenever you visit Derby and I'll be in touch directly regarding future stays - it would be great to meet you and say thank you personally.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Birchover.

Carl, Lisa and the team

Been to Birchover Darley Abbey? Share your experiences!