“Busy place” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 405 restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night
Description: Soon to be Derby's premier banquet dining experience. Fantastic atmosphere and a vast array of exquisite dishes each cooked fresh every day, many cooked live in front of you. We specialise in traditional Indian cuisine but offer alternatives to the non-curry lover. Eat as much as you like for £13.95. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
“Busy place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is the second time we have been here in a party and although the food is nice with a reasonable selection of main courses apart from there doesn't seem to be a mild korma type curry for those that like the flavour but not the spicy heat, there is very little in the way of starters. It seems quite tightly packed and there can be massive queues for the food as it is all crammed together around one island at the end of the food hall. It can get quite noisy in there the later it gets as the effects of the drink kicks in.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
“Will return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I came here on recommendation from a friend, we were greeted by two very friendly staff who seated us promptly, it was rather quiet when i visited, however they are usually much busier, food was ok, plenty of choice, and a very nice concept of having the chefs on show preparing fresh naan breads and other items infront of your very eyes, overall a nice indian buffet!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fabtastic :))”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I can't believe this place has been open a few years and I've never been ??!! Absolutely loved it !! As a vegetarian I found plenty of choice ! The Paneer curry is gorgeous!! Everything was freshly prepared and tasted wonderful ! Nothing was bland at all and also was nice and hot not a lukewarm curry in sight ?? Me and my husband were extremely impressed ! We have dined at Jimmy's World Bar and Grill which was an awful experience ! We were going to go to Cosmo but was fully booked due to Father's Day and I'm sooooo glad it was !! May Sum is also looking tired and so is the food, the windows are filthy which says alot *Shudders* !! The Slice of India is a total gem and is now our firm favourite ! Shame I'm dieting for my holidays or I would be back next week !! My husband enjoyed the butter chicken, Madras, stir fry and Sunday Dinner selection, whilst I tried all 3 vegetarian curries ( Mushroom, brown lentil and paneer ) and they were lovely :) Im so happy to have found a place that doesn't use frozen vegetables in their curry.... At long last ! Hoooorrraaayyy !! The naan breads were cooked freshly in the Tandoor in front if you as was almost everything else ! Loved the Indian sweets and of course the selection of cakes, ice cream and sweeties ! Wish the Chocolate fountain would have been in though :( The atmosphere is lovely with no waitresses hanging around watching you, unlike Jimmy's were they didn't leave you alone ! I felt comfortable and relaxed as the Chef's were concentrating upon their cooking soooo much you didn't feel like a piglet keep going up as they were farrrrr to busy to notice :))) I'd wholeheartedly recommend The Slice of India if you enjoy freshly cooked food and we will be returning without a doubt ! :))))

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Keep saying excellent but it is.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I can't count the many times we have been to The slice of India but were never disappointed.
Staff are very friendly and helpful, you will be shown around the buffet style kitchen and if your diet like my husband needs low salt the chef will explain to you what you can eat or what to ask for if your having stir fry ask the chef to not put in to much soya sauce, they are all helpful and want you to enjoy yourselves and the food.
We have just had a party there 30 people came and not one went home unhappy just the opposite they all loved it, and kept saying so throughout the evening.
We wouldn't have taken our guests there if we had any doubts.
Where can you get so many courses and as much as you like for that sort of money.
Plus the food is cooked ongoing so it does sit around for long periods.
And the "kitchen" and eating area are spotless ( unless the people sitting there are making the mess ) I have seen this but its quickly cleaned up after they go.
If you love good food then give it a try you won't be disappointed,
There really is such a huge amount to choose from--- and puddings, ice cream machine with many naughty sweets to decorate it with, fresh fruit, jellies, cakes and other Indian sweets and more.
Need I say more if your not happy at this place then you don't like good food.
Well done to all at The slice of India you do the works. Sandy and Brian.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Belper, England, United Kingdom
“£14.50 too much for average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I love Indian food but Slice of India disappointed me. The starters were very spicy and not to everyone's taste whereas the mains were bland and tasteless. Desserts were also very poor. I didn't enjoy it at all. At £14.50 I excepted a lot more.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere