“NYE break, very relaxing!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Gloucester
“NYE break, very relaxing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

stayed here 31/12- 02/01/-14, exec room and we booked in for breakfast.

Got champagne and chocolates on our NYE arrival!!! how nice!!!!!!!!!!

ROOM: room was great, had the fridge etc as promised. both my 4 yr and 5 yr old boys got their own sofa beds, bathroom maybe needs updating but it was clean and functional.

This hotel has a great pool etc not to be missed out on. although I thought the opening hours on a bank holiday were quite late. NYD the pool was 10am-8pm, Maybe a 9-6 or 8-5 could work better as those who were leaving couldn't swim before they go home well, without rushing anyways.

it was quite noisy on NYE. but i didnt expect any less and its not the hotel's fault that the kid next door never calmed down.

Breakfasts were GREAT, big thanks to that team!!! they are well prepared and there was no fuss in getting what you wanted and the girls were so very cheery :-)

my only one major gripe was that the hotel advertised a man utd game as on in the bar on NYD so we came back to watch it and it turned out that the hotel doesnt have bt sports! so why advertise???? we would of gone elsewhere so i had a word with reception and they understood my point and gave me a 4 hour wifi code so i could log in on my own device to watch it! well rectified holiday inn!
food in the bar was good tho, and our boys ate free

Husband enjoyed himself that much he wants to go back next year, except the bump will be a baby nxt NYE so we may have to see....

also we found the hotel well handy for the races, we got soaked by the way.....lol!

Room Tip: book executive!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rating us a 5 out of 5! I am glad you enjoyed the champagne and chocolates on arrival on NYE. It is nice to read that you found the room great, we take on all feedback and will look at all rooms and bathrooms that need updating. I am glad you found the pool great I am sorry you found the opening times a bit late for you we will review this for next year. Thank you for your understanding of the noise level and I am sorry this occurred, I also apologise with the mix up of the Man Utd game I am glad it was rectified with reception however I will communicate to all the team what channels we have and haven't got so this does not happen again. I hope we can welcome you, your husband and your new addition to the hotel again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here whilst visiting family over New Year. All the staff we meet were extremely friendly and happy to help in any way. We stayed on a great deal B&B deal and the breakfast on both days was very good. We used the leisure facilities - pool, sauna & steam rooms which were more than adequate and all the areas were very clean. This would definitely be our first choice of hotel when visiting the area again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rating us a 4 out of 5! I am glad that all the staff you met were very friendly and helpful, and you found the B&B deal good with breakfast being to your satisfaction on both mornings. I am glad the leisure facilities were more than adequate for you. It is nice to read that we will be your fist choice when visiting the area again.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here DBB for an excellent price, along with our 2yr old son.
Ali on reception was very helpful on our arrival. Shame the room wasn't ready for check-in time, but I think that we could have been moved to a different room. However, I am sometimes in a wheelchair so needed to wait for the larger and more accessible room. Wait was only until about 14:20. It is usual to offer a soft drink in these circumstances, but not bothered as price we paid was so good.
Julie was great in the restaurant on our first night - helpful, friendly and great with our son.
Had to eat in the bar on the second night as the restaurant was closed, and was a bit surprised that the set menu was the same as the previous night. No great crisis though.
Didn't get to use the pool, sadly, as our son had a bad cold, but others said it was lovely.
Appreciated the seasonal offer of free internet use (but had to spot this as wasn't told of it). Nowadays, would be good to have free internet access as standard.
Special thanks also to Denise, who was lovely when I rang after checking out to say we had left something behind. She found it and we picked it up later.
What the hotel lacks in character, it makes up for with an excellent staff.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OperationsMK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rating us a 5! I am glad you found the price to be excellent and Ali on reception was very helpful I will be sure to pass this on to him. I am sorry your room wasn't ready upon arrival, A complimentary drink is usually offered I am sorry this didn't happen. I am glad your experience in the bar and restaurant were good with the help of Julie who will be happy to hear this. I will also be passing on your comments to Denise with locating your items you left behind. Thank you for your lovely comments I hope this means we can welcome you back again soon.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Welcoming staff, a nice complementary upgrade as part of my elite status. The room (which I think it was the highest category) was still smallish, would benefit from an update, specially the bathroom (also, why there's an empty mini bar...?). Breakfast OK.
Good value for those who'd like to explore the surroundings - after all this is a good location for the Cotswolds. Average/Good overall.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you was welcomed by our staff and you enjoyed the complementary upgrade. I am sorry you still felt the room was a bit small and the bathroom could be updated we are in talks with our owners to get the majority of our rooms refurbished. Also, the mini bars we stock upon request I am sorry this was not communicated well. I am glad you find us good value for our location near the cotswolds. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Reception : no fuss regarding changing rooms as first room allocate was too small. After day one our granddaughter was homesick and we took her home. So did not need extra bed. Changed from roomy disable room to executive.
Restaurant: some confusion regarding 'set menu ' and if Specials menu could be used for main course. Happy to oblige.
Spirit Spa: wife's swim costume damaged in spinner/drier - hotel happy to give new from selection on display.
Special mention:
Chloe - reception
Restaurant - Julie
Operations manager
Conclusion : happy to recommend

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is delightful to read that you felt we couldn't do enough as this is what you set out achieve. I am glad your problems were resolved regarding rooms, restaurant menu and the swimming costume that was damaged by our drier. I will pass on your mentions to these people who will be delighted. Thank you for your recommendation we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Barry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Of its type this was a first class hotel topped by excellent leisure facilities. On a two night stay the room was comfortable, service was first class with obliging staff. We even eat in on the two nights and found the food reasonably priced and of good quality. We can highly recommend the hotel but what it is not is being in Gloucester nor Cheltenham.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is excellent to see you felt it was a first class hotel and you enjoyed the leisure club and food. We are in between Gloucester and Cheltenham which I can understand being an inconvenience but its within easy reach of both. I hope we can welcome you back again with another first class service.
The Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We needed a short break so checked into the Holiday Inn Gloucester, the good lady wife had booked a treatment or two so could we check in early, I mean VERY early! Yes, no problem so I unpacked whilst she had a back massage then amused myself in the Sainsbury's over the road when she had a facial. The room was excellent, okay the furniture looked a bit dated from its time as a THF Posthouse but it added to that charm, it was spotlessly clean, the recently refurbished bathroom looked untouched and we visited the Spirit Health Club twice! Nice pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. We visited Gloucester Quays outlet village spending about two hours in All Saints alone then went back to the hotel to get ready for a night on the town! I felt the taxi into the city centre was a bit pricey (£9.80 for a journey I'd pay about a fiver for back home) but not the hotels fault and a fun night ended with an order of two sandwiches from room service which arrived promptly, packed with filling and well worth the price + a 10% service charge which is mildly annoying. The wifi access was free due to a Christmas promotion but expect to pay £16 for a 24 hour pass at all other times. Like the pay channels on the TV do you really need it? spend some time with your nearest and dearest rather than update facebook! The staff went out of their way to make you feel at home and nothing was too much trouble! We recently stayed with a rival hotel chain and this visit ran in a bit cheaper and I'd just give it the nod of preference, will definitely be coming again and might even bring the children next time!

Room Tip: Try and go for an executive one
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review. It is nice to hear that you found the room to be excellent, we are hoping for a refurbishment on some of our rooms that do have the more dated furniture. I am glad you enjoyed the local attraction of Gloucester Quays and your night on the town to end it with two sandwiches from the hotel that you found packed with filling and well worth the price.We can't wait to welcome you back again soon and hopefully with your children.

Been to Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham? Share your experiences!