“Food great but experience not quite so great” 4 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1452 332900
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Wharf House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #119 of 255 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: An AA Red Rosette restaurant serving quality freshley prepared produce. We would strongly request and advise advance Reservations. signature dishes such as Venison rolled in Walnut with a sauce of red currants with a hint of Dark Chocolate.Please note that we do not have a childrens menu but welcome young diners who will not disturb our other guests and wish to experience the normal a la carte menu. Our menus are designed as three courses, with side dishes available for those who wish, but the option to choose less courses if you wish less. We also offer both an Original and Vegeterian 7 course Tasting menu. We would recomend bookings at least 48 hours in advance
Cheltenham
“Food great but experience not quite so great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I went here with my wife using a travel zoo £59 voucher for a 5 course tasting menu with a glass of bubbly. Firstly, we got 7 courses? Great you might think and the food was, but nothing was explained. Hard to explain but if just made the meal not work for us.

The glass of bubbly came only with the dessert either which again no biggie but just felt out of place.

Final thing was the bill, we obviously had pre paid for the food so were expecting to pay for drinks and the voucher said there would be a 10% service charge which seemed fair enough. What I objected to though was they put 10% on what they said the full price of the mail would have been, a whopping £120 double what we paid. Again this was the difference of £6 rather than £12 but it was more the principle.

In summary, food was great and good value at the voucher price but wildy over priced at full price in my opinion.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
WharfHouse, Manager at Wharf House, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Many thanks for the review and I am glad enjoyed the 7 courses! They should be announced as they are served and we have acted to ensure all staff are most firmly aware of this as we totally agree that this is a part of the experience. Travelzoo's T&C's [not ours] do quite clearly state that the tip should be based on the full original value, and we do serve identical to the full price [which we also sell a lot of], so as this is treated exactly as any other staff tip I do think it is only fair to the staff that it is based on the value received - and this is Travelzoo's guidance to their members, the service received is identical to a full price customer. It would be helpful to all if their voucher was clearer, but I very glad that you felt that the food was great, thank you.

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My new wife and I only spent two hours in our room which had a notice in the bathroom saying the wet room facility was OOO. The bath had a ridge of grime round one end, the skirting and window frame ledges were dirty. There was not any real drawer space and only one bedside table. opening the window allowed a smell to enter which tuned out to be a few buckets of old rotting recovered tiles and rubbish that were below the ground floor window.

The control knob on the electric fan just fell off. The cost of the room with breakfast was £230.00 for two nights. We were charged £15.95 for four coffees !!!!.

The room was classed as a superoir double, what a joke, Premier Inns a far more value!!

The staff were far too young and the state of the room illustrated the management was very poor.
Never ever again. Would not suggest my worst enemy to stay there. Left with a full refund and found a fabulous luxury B&B in the Forest of Dean which was far superior and cost £50.00 less.

Need I say any more!

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
WharfHouse, Manager at Wharf House, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Following the way you treated my staff [one was left shaking] and the prejudice shown here to anyone under age of 25 we were more than happy to refund you so that you left the premises. I went to the trouble to research other locations for you to stay and check availability and then offered to ensure the room was available for you....then when I was trying to confirm this and was on hold waiting for the manager of another hotel you descended into another torrent about how unproffessional the other hotel was not to be able to deal with my call properly and you therefore had no interest going there either [a respected major chain] I believe our decision to instantly refund so you left was wise, and hope you found somewhere more to your liking.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“bit pricey, no kids menu, but i loved the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

nice view over river severn, I love the food here its gorgeous, sadly no child's menu and a bit pricey, plus the restaurant itself is rather small making it crowded, its more like eating in someone's front room, the service is excellent and my hubby (a wine buff) enjoyed the choice of wine. Very clean, impressed with quick service, loved the food so much, excellent.

Visited September 2012
Romford, United Kingdom
“The Wharf House”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went to the Wharf House on a Saturday evening in July.
We had been visiting the area for a long weekend and came upon a sign on the A road advertising the restaurant,
On entering we spoke to a waiter and advised that we hadnt booked but would like a table, the waiter said that we could have one if we were be quick. We were shown seas outside on the veranda, although it was a sunny evening it was windy so we asked if we could be moved inside which we were.
On being advised about the "specials" I asked whether one meal contained nuts, and stated that my husband is allergic to them. We then ordered.
We ordered bread and olives to start with and were given some walnut bread with this dish. My husband not wishing to complain ate the other bread and I had the walnut. My mains was a pork dish with a butternut squash mash, the mash was so heavily seasoned with pepper that it was unedible. My husband order trout and the same waiter asked if we would like a selection of vegetables to which we said yes and were given celery and pear sprinkled with pine nuts! Lucily for my husband his allergy isnt as bad as some peoples He could eat the bread served on a plate next to walnut bread.

This was a one off visit (as we were staying in the area for the weekend) so my husband didnt want me to complain, even though I very much wanted to.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great location, small portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The location is very pleasant, especially on a fine summers evening. The food was fine but the portions do seem rather small. The prices reflect a quality restaurant in a prime location, and while there is no objection to paying for quality, attention does need to be given to quantity and the portion sizes did not reflect the price.

• Visited June 2013