“Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Leeds
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Firstly may I congratulate you and your staff for a most enjoyable dining experience today.
The staff were most accommodating, the food of excellent quality and the whole atmosphere very welcoming.

It is extremely difficult dining out with 3 very small and "vocal" children and not wanting to disturb other diners, the idea of a separate room was perfect for all (not just ourselves).

All waiters were very professional, polite and appeared happy to serve which is not the case in so many establishments these days.

Sunday Lunch was a set price menu comprising of soup, buffet style charcuterie board with a variety of salmon, prawns, oysters, mussels, pate's, breads, meats etc then followed by a choice of main and pudding if you can fit it all in.

I could have stayed with the charcuterie board and eaten that all day such was the selection and quality of food on offer, however it was soon time to move onto the mains.
I opted for the roast beef and had requested it as rare as possible. Not often available depending on the size of the side of beef being roasted.
When it arrived it was perfect. So tender and juicy and very rare. The accompanying vegetables were done to perfection. Sweet carrots, roasted parsnips, cabbage and of course the essential roast potatoes.
Yorkshire puddings to die for.
A Sunday roast better that your Mother makes and without all the hard-work.

Thank you so much for a wonderful experience.

I shall certainly re-visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very disappointed. Just returned from a one night stay at this hotel. The room, a standard, was small and faced another hotel about 50 feet away, so that we had to pull the curtain during the day for any privacy. At £175 for bed and breakfast I was expecting great things. Adequate at least but NOT worth that amount of money. They even tried to make us pay £10 a day parking!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Middle England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I used to be a regular visitor to HDV many years ago but stopped because the food went down hill. I decided to return after a colleague stayed at the hotel on business last week and said it was good. My wife and I had the valentines menu. Restaurant was busy but it was a saturday night.

Service to the table was good and the menu looked enticing. We both decided on the lobster cocktail only to be told upon ordering that it was now crayfish - 'weren't we told when we sat down?' This was ok and washed down with some extremely nice pink champagne.

Despite sitting down for 19.30 we didn't get our main course until 21.00.

For main course I had the duck - should have been a bit crispier and the 'boozy' chutney was pretty teetotal. My wife had the vegetarian option that was so salty she couldn't eat more than a few mouthfuls. The veg were OK, but the spuds and carrots were a bit al dente.

For pudding we decided on the baked alaska, which was terrible. It looked like something you bought at Iceland and had never seen an oven, just a quick burn over with the blow torch. Terribly sweet - the best bit was the ice cream.

We're not foodies and pretty tolerant but I'd be hard pressed to recommend HDV on this basis. Despite returning a hardly eaten main course and telling the waitress that it was inedible this never got back to the front desk.

The charge for the evening - almost £130.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Wow what a lovly hotel room with a view
The room are a large size and clean and have the best showers ever. The room has a nice set up with sofa and good tv with sky an wifi
Would stay here again every time worth the money all day long

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Booked for Winter Sparkle special deal. Very pleased with the accommodation and the meal was delicious. Very comfortable and relaxed ambience and helpful and friendly staff. Very impressed with knowledgeable bar staff and wine sommelier.
Parking was easy because we arrived early but I could see that late arrivals may have a problem. We spent 2 days here and didn't need move the car during our stay but we did get charged £10 per day for the privilege. Still, one has to park somewhere.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

After having staying in a handful of the Hotel Du Vin hotels (Cheltenham being the best by far) I expected good things but, alas, it was not to be. I pre-booked a Superior room on the first floor to keep me away from the noise of the bar etc. Unfortunately noise from a) a road sweeper going up and down the road about 9 times (I'm sure he was doing it on purpose) and b) the delightful, dulcet tones of the shower being turned on and off and on...... and the toilet being flushed in the next room kept me awake for most of the night. Noise doesn't usually bother me as I am hard of hearing but goodness knows how people with full use of their ears would have coped. The walls are paper thin so please be aware of that before planning a 'romantic' stay. The receptionists that I encountered were very pleasant and helpful so I have no problems with the staff. Two other things to mention:
I ordered room service for dinner which was passable at best and overpriced in my opinion.
The toilet brush had not been cleaned and clearly had the remnants of the previous guest's faecal matter attached to it - how delightful!
I've had some wonderful experiences at other Hotel Du Vin hotels but probably will not return to the one in Harrogate.

Room Tip: I would say that the higher up the building you go the better your experience will be but beware of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My partner & I often visit harrogate for a spot of shopping and a relaxing retreat. However, as it was my partners birthday I wanted to book something a little bit special, something very luxurious. As such I decided to book the Moët Vintage Collection Suite at Hotel Du Vin Harrogate for 1 night, and all I can say is WOW! This hotel is STUNNING; a beautiful Georgian property, Hotel Du Vin stands proudly along Prospect Place, and looks particularly grand & mpressive from the outside. Inside it only gets better, the hotel is BEAUTIFUL on the inside, and I have to say the staff there are very helpful & friendly. The receptionist that checked us into the hotel- Charlotte- couldn't do enough to help us, and was extremely warm, welcoming, friendly & professional. When we reached our Moët Suite (located on the top floor) I was absolutely overwhelmed. This suite is absolutely AMAZING! It is extremely large, with an 8ft bed, 42inch plasma tv, huge wardrobes, extra long corner sofa and....The bathroom- One word- WOW!! This bathroom has twin his & hers free-standing roll top baths, twin his & hers sinks and twin monsoon showers... You could comfortably fit about 20 people in this bathroom, it is huge and extremely luxurious! The twin free-standing roll top baths really sold it for me; lying side by side in these beautiful baths sipping champagne is very romantic! No expense has been spared on the fittings in here, and there are some lovely touches. The bed is the most comfortable bed I have ever sleep in and the pillows were divine! Being a loft suite it is very private up there, but also very light and airy with beautiful dormer windows, hard-wood flooring and exposed beams. This is the most beautiful suite we have stayed in and the location of the hotel couldn't have been better! It is right in the middle of the town centre, with Bettys tea rooms and all of the best shops literally a 5 minute walk away. Breakfast in the morning was absolutely delicious, with a vast array of French pastries, fresh fruit and freshly squeezed juice available as well as a menu with warm options such as a full cooked breakfast, eggs benedict, porridge, etc. Breakfast tasted delicious and the restaurant/bistro was just as beautiful as the rest of the hotel, all the staff here are very friendly & helpful, I couldn't recommend Hotel Du Vin Harrogate enough. If you do fancy a bit of a treat book the Moët Suite- you will not be disappointed. Of course the Suite doesnt come cheaply, but it was worth every penny! Thank you to all at Hotel Du Vin harrogate for making my partners birthday so special, we didn't want to leave and cannot wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hotel du Vin and Bistro? Share your experiences!