“Beautiful old building in a beautiful central location.” 3 of 5 stars

The Yorkshire Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prospect Place, Harrogate HG1 1LA, England   |
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Nottingham
“Beautiful old building in a beautiful central location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Beautiful old buildings in fabulous locations usually cost more than this hotel costs so I checked the reviews. A mixed bunch and mostly not complaining of things which would bother us so I went ahead.

The staff in this hotel are competent and pleasant. We were able to park free-of-charge right outside of the hotel which is to say right in the centre of Harrogate. One lift was out of order and the other was tiny. Our room was small and badly decorated, the furniture needed replacing it was just TOO old and decrepit. Having said that it was very clean, the bed was comfortable and there was no real cause for complaint.

The bathroom was very clean though the purple ceiling was an acquired taste which I did not acquire.The lighting was too dim for me to read in the bath but the water was very hot and kept on coming.

The wifi worked.

The breakfast however was most unsatisfactory. There were no bread rolls, danish pastry or croissants. The fruit looked tired and unappealing (my husband thought it was tinned). Given this we went for the cooked option. It is not cooked to order (always a good sign) but was a help-yourself arrangement. The bacon was rather hard, the sausages of the lowest possible quality and the scrambled egg cold. The nice-looking grilled tomatoes had some sort of strong spice or herb on them which I disliked. The coffee was not as nice as most hotel coffee. I was not able to eat any of the breakfast and (a rare thing for me) complained to the very personable guy in charge. He was most helpful but couldn't change the basic situation which was that this was a poor breakfast. He did offer to get me a croissant from the kitchen because they "didn't put them out" but that would be twenty minutes wait. I'm not sure if they would have fried me a couple of eggs on toast to order, but looking back, that would have been the answer. In the end I had two slices of toast for breakfast which is not what I expect in a hotel.

Would I go back? Well maybe just to visit Betty's tea shop which is across the road. Still if I had stayed in a Travelodge instead of the Yorkshire Hotel I could have afforded the £40 for two afternoon teas at Bettys!!!

There is nothing wrong with this hotel that a little financial investment could not solve. The staff are brilliant, the public rooms are lovely. But, and it's a big but why offer poor quality breakfast ingredients? It makes a big difference to the stay if the breakfast is brilliant and it isn't so very hard to get right. It seems to be all about lowering costs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry the room you were allocated showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme. I am pleased you liked the work we have done in the public areas.
I was disappointed to read your comments in reference to the standard at breakfast but none the less I would like to thank you for your frank comments and as a result of some similar we have changed our breakfast offering.
On a positive note I am pleased that you found the service received from the team brilliant
It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service.

Nick Henry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great midweek break. Lookout for great deals on late rooms etc. Also having stayed before we opted not to have breakfast and find a cafe each morning. Which worked out to be cheaper and gave greater variety, this is by no means a critism of the hotel just something we opted to do and glad we did. As for the location, well with a wife like mine who is addicted to shopping it was nice to be able to take bags back to hotel and carry on. I would agree with other reviewers that some features are a little tired and there are better eateries within a stones throw but no one is forced to eat or drink within the hotel. All in all fab location, comfy room, great price.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your frank and honest comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

west yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Excellent room, overlooked the stray which was very pretty with the xmas lights. The staff and food were first class. We had a very large room with a very comfortable bed. A shame that the dinner dress code wasnt adhered to ! Parking is a problem and it cost £5.00 to park elsewhere with a considerable walk to the car, but other than that a very enjoyable stay..

Room Tip: the front of the hotel is excellent
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed New Year’s Eve I must admit it was a great night . The Hotel was very busy that evening, which is always very pleasing and I am glad you felt looked after during your stay.

Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It would be difficult to beat the location but this hotel does need some love and money. I was visiting for a weekend with a friend and was ideal for visiting the shops which was the main aim and we found nice bars and places to eat literally on the doorstep. Check in was seamless but we had a double bed rather than the twin we had ordered and there was a bit of an unnecessary drama getting this changed. The bed was clean but not terribly comfortable and the hotel was incredibly tired. A shame really. However, the room was not expensive so it would not stop me booking for a similar sort of visit but would look elsewhere for a romantic weekend away.

Room Tip: It wouldn't be my choice for a weekend with my husband.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Yorkshire Hotel, I am sorry that some aspects of your stay were not to an acceptable standard for which I can only apologise.We do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money for that room type.
I do hope you choose to stay with us again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel .

Brentwood, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had read good and bad reviews but always go with an open mind if reviews aren't all bad but I'm afraid that I have to agree with alot of the negative reviews.
Recently stayed at the Yorkshire, whilst we were very pleased with the location, the hotel was a disappointment. The room was very dark and quite dingy. The room was booked as a double but we had two single beds pushed together causing a very uncomfortable groove/split down the middle and the length of the bed was quite short for me, being 5' 9, so my husband didn't stand a chance being 6' 5!
Breakfast was a disappointment and could have been better. We were expecting some nice Yorkshire sausages and what we got instead seemed to be the cheapest 'value' sausages and on our last morning the breakfast was being packed away a good half hour before breakfast was due to finish and you had to ask for most items that you wanted.
Upon arrival we were told that we couldn't eat in the restaurant on either evening as they had private parties in there which wasn't a problem as we were very central and there are loads of restaurants around. We did use the bar and they do make an excellent Mojito.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is a fantastic old building but the corridors did remind me a bit of the film 'The Shining' as the carpets looked as though they needed replacing and the furniture in our bedroom and parts of the hotel were very old.
A little bit of tlc and a bit of money and this hotel could be alot better.

Room Tip: If you're booking a double room then make sure it is a double bed and not two singles pushed tog...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry the room you were allocated showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme. With regard to the bed you were allocated a king zip and link room which are an industry standard and I can assure you that they are a standard length.
I was disappointed to read your comment in reference to the standard at breakfast I would like to thank you for your comments and as a result of some similar issues we have changed our breakfast standard.
It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to continually improve our standards and service.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Very friendly staff, eager to help
Location. Very central. The Wikipedia entry on Harrogate has a photo of this hotel as a representation of the town. That's how central this place is. It's 30 seconds walk from Betty's which is a unique Yorkshire experience
Price. Pretty reasonable at 60 a night
The room was massive with great views

Cons:
12:30am fire alarm and evacuation, turned out to be a faulty sensor in the basement. However, as is our way we chose to find this amusing and the staff were great with the guests

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry that the fire alarm disturbed your stay but we always evacuated the hotel as a matter of course as the safety of our guests is paramount.
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here overnight. Nice comfortable refurbished bedroom and a very decent breakfast in a prime location in a nice town and at a fair price.

I am not here to criticise this hotel but the negative would be the bar prices which are far too high when there are very good pubs only a few minutes away. Unsurprisingly nobody was using the bar so there was no atmosphere. Also there is no real ale and the Guiness pump is an illusion because they only use it to open the cans. My advice: stay here and drink out (but don't skip the good breakfast).

Harrogate, if you've never been, has a traffic system that appears to have been designed by a warped sadist. And this hotel only has limited parking so leave plenty of time!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.
I was however surprised by your comments relating to bar prices as we price check ours against the local bars on our door step and in many cases we are cheaper. With regard to Guinness you are quiet right we dont serve draft but we serve Guinness Surger a quality product.

Nick Henry

Been to The Yorkshire Hotel? Share your experiences!