“Lovely room in a nice area, but lacking service” 4 of 5 stars

The Balmoral Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Franklin Mount, Harrogate HG1 5EJ, England   |
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Lovely room in a nice area, but lacking service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night as a mini break away.
The room itself was lovely, and decorated in a vintage style which made it very cosy and romantic.
Breakfast however was a different story.
Upon arriving our order for tea and coffee was taken, which they got wrong. When we did get the right drinks, we put milk in from the jug on the table, which curdled in the drinks and turned out to be off. (The staff confirmed if was actually out of date).
I then ordered poached egg on toast, but the egg came out jellied and was raw. I returned it and was offered another, but I declined as suffering from salmonella poisoning isn't how I wanted to spend my week.
The toast was fine.
We mentioned the whole fiasco to the manager on duty but it seemed to be acceptable because I was offered another breakfast which was quite disappointing.
Overall the room itself was well worth the stay, but as we didn't seem to be alone with the wrong orders etc at breakfast, be prepared!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the Balmoral in Harrogate in mid-march 2013 for one night. It is a nice boutique hotel and did the job! Fairly centrally located (10 minute walk to town or 2 minute £4 taxi ride), great rooms, welcoming staff and a nice breakfast. All in all a good choice for a stay in Harrogate and we would definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed here for a pamper weekend and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The staff were friendly and helpful and you felt they cared about your stay. We got lovely Milton brown freebies, the afternoon tea was to die for and the bed was incredibly comfortable.

A little shabby in places but we heard the place is soon to be completely renovated so in my opinion that can only make it perfect!

• Stayed February 2013
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I needed a hotel in Harrogate when my Father died in December 2012. Charlene the Manager was amazingly helpful. My wife and I arrived to make the first preparations after his death and her sympathy and understanding was fantastic. I booked 5 rooms for Family Members for his Funeral on December 21st and again we received superb care/treatment and sympathy. My wife and I, son and fiancee returned this past week for a night whilst sorting out personal details and again felt the hotel great. It has we gather recently been taken over and due a total refurbishment - possibly needed - but we hope the ambience doesn't change, neither the staff, Charlene, or the way the hotel goes out of its way to help.
Thank you Balmoral - we shall return!
Richard Seed

Room Tip: The Four Poster Beds are superb!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend at the beginning of April last year to celebrate my 22nd birthday. I absolutely loved the decor of the rooms and the Molton brown toiletries, Harrogate spa water and tea,coffee & biscuits really made the rooms feel much more luxurious than the prices of the rooms may suggest. We stayed in room 1 which was beautifully decorated, I have never been so impressed with a hotel by its first impression! I've had better bathrooms - the luxury doesn't really extend to the bathroom other than the lovely complementary toiletries but it is still clean with lots of natural light. The breakfast was lovely, again little extras like tiny jars of jams and preserves really made this hotel stand out from others I have previously stayed in. The bar and seating area downstairs was a lovely place to have a drink before heading out in go the town. I would definitely stay here again and am even looking to book for my birthday again this year!

• Stayed April 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here last Easter, just for one night, with family and we were all very happy. Perhaps not all the rooms are newly refurbished but ours was lovely, nice furnishings, clean, comfy bed, window seats and a great bathroom - long and thin but felt spacious and the shower was nice. Our room was not the largest, but the other two in our party said theirs was half the size so must have been tiny!

We found out on arrival that the restaurant was not in operation - we were initially a bit annoyed that we hadn't been informed when we booked, as we'd been hoping to have dinner at the hotel. However, they provided a complimentary taxi to their sister hotel, the White Hart, right in the town centre. The meal we had there was exceptional and the restaurant had a great atmosphere, so it ended up working out very well.

The hotel breakfast was very nice, I had the full English and it was a generous portion.

I would stay here again, and definitely eat at the sister hotel again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went for a night for a birthday me and my fella and another couple, lovely hotel although quite a walk to town centre we got taxis both ways. Rooms were spotless and i would stay here again breakfast was gorgeous and there were quite a few choices too. The bar area was really nice too, we had drinks here before we ventured out. Harrogate is a lovely town, and im looking forward to going again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Balmoral Hotel? Share your experiences!