“St George???........More like the dragons cave” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The St George Hotel

You added The St George Hotel to your Saves list
The St George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ripon Road, Harrogate HG1 2SY, England (Formerly Coast & Country St George Hotel)   |
Special Offer
WEEKEND BREAKS FROM £129
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“St George???........More like the dragons cave”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

One of the worst hotels i've ever stayed in.
Be particularly careful when in the bar as there is a hole concealed by the carpet in the floor near near the central pillar which will almost certainly result in you falling flat on your face if you are unfortunate enough to step on it.
My single room had a towel rail which had been repaired with duck tape. The wallpaper was peeling in several places. The bath panel was rotten and shedding sawdust all over the place.
Harrogate is full of nice hotels, quite how this one is managing to stay in business is a mystery to me. I strongly suggest that you don't stay here

• Stayed May 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We originally booked into this hotel for 2 nights at a cost of £118 total, but on seeing the room, upgraded immediately, which cost an extra £60. It was dim and gloomy, the room had a smell of bleach which permeated into every corner, and we were disappointed to find there was no table should we wish to eat breakfast in the room. When we opened what we thought were the wardrobe doors, there was bunk beds fully made up, so handy for a family on a budget I guess, presuming they wanted children inside a wardrobe?

After the upgrade, we were met with a room that was bigger, but not much better decor wise. Although the hotel was under refurbishment and we expected some wear and tear, we didn't expect to see the window frames and sills to be as dirty as they were. The general air of both rooms can only be described as 'tired'.

The bathroom was clean, but had missing or cracked tiles, and if you wanted the jacuzzi to work, you had to place a heavy object on to the stop/start button - in our case we used a teapot full of water! Not ideal but it did the trick. The shower was ok, but I had a feeling that they recycled the towels.

The biggest concern was the noise that emanated from the club that's opposite the hotel. It was rowdy on the firt evening, but somehow we managed to get back to sleep after being woken up in the early hours. The second night however was something else. We were woken at 4:30 a.m. and that was that. I wandered downstairs and it must be a regular occurence to find guests wandering around at such an early hour as the staff didn't bat an eyelid, nor did anyone ask if I was ok. If you're staying at this hotel, ensure beforehand that the club opposite will be closed, or request a room at the back of the hotel.

The breakfast was hearty and the staff serving us were excellent, although we had to ring down on the second morning when it was more than 20 minutes late, and the eggs were subsequently hard and the rest looked baked.

This is a very large hotel that could be comfortable and pleasant to stay at, but only when the renovations are finished. Luckily, and despite the above, we're a 'make do and mend' type of couple' and didn't complain, although I now realise we should have. But I was so tired, I can honestly say that had I have been driving, I'd have had to stop on the way back, and we were only 2 - 3 hours from home, so complaining was the last thing I felt up to doing. I was glad to get in the car (the car park is free but cramped) and get home. Would I stay again? Only if it was free, and even then, only at the rear of the hotel. It's saving grace was it's location - very central and ideal to get to most places.

Apologies for rambling on, but it's my first review. Hope it's been of some use.

cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

We have just come back from a stay in this hotel. We were apprehensive after reading some of the reviews but how wrong they were. We were in room 219 which was very comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was excellent and plentiful and the 3 course dinner in the evening was very good value for money. The staff couldn,t have been more helpful and the pool was like getting into a warm bath. Fantastic. Please stay here and form your own view as we very nearly cancelled, and I am so glad that we didn,t.

Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Like many others here, the various reviews was sufficient to have me worried what I was heading to after booking this hotel on-line. However i can only say my wife and i had a great stay here. if i wrote an overly bias report in favour of the hotel without commenting on what others have said would be irresponsible to any others considering staying... The Car parking was not great - we could always park but it was tight on occassions - there does seem however loads of on street parking in the immediate vicinity and the hotel allowed double parking if you had to. The room decor - ok not brilliant in some parts but i wasn't going to let a bit of peeling wallpaper ruin a holiday (do people really judge a hotel on this!?). Yes there was scaffolding outside the windows - again no problems being as we were only in the rooms in the late evenings / very early mornings. The room was well heated with good controls that allowed us to increase the temperature accordingly - and it kicked in straight away. Always plenty of hot water. The maids did a really good job of cleaning the rooms. The food was excellent and the dining room staff were excellent also. We used the leisure pool - again it was sufficient to enjoy. Receptionists were always helpful and even though the hotel is undergoing renovation , there was still something attractively victorian about the whole ambience. 2 minutes and you are in the main street of harrogate town centre also. . We booked through easybreaks, that went smoothly also - and the 4 night deal we got proved to be excellent value for money and we would seriously consider this deal again with the same hotel..

Derbyshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

I'm actually sat in the hotel while I'm writing this. And I really do want to be fair - so here goes. The good things - the water that comes out of the shower is good, powerful and hot. The mattress in my room was comfortable . The staff are smiley and competent and the hotel location is great. Otherwise, think of a badly run down council nursing home, circa 1974 ( for this is the decor) . The bedding and furniture aren't just past their best, faded and outmoded (because I've got a lot of affection for that sort of thing) - its cheap, delapidated, chipped, warped and the kind of thing you'd expect to find in a cheap Blackpool B&B thirty years ago. This hotel isn't comparable to some kind of faded glory , past its best, grande - dame actress trying to hold back the years with over dyed coiffered hair ,thick makeup and thick perfume, its just good old fashioned bad. With the curious smell of curry powder emanating from the corridor carpets ( the warm, spicy smell of damp I imagine) . Wanting to be reasonable : if you were paying £25 a night you'd probably think it was fair enough. You'd might overlook the peeling ill fitting grey lino in bathroom, the rotted wood round the sills, the light fittings that don't fit, the curling wallpaper, the cracks in the ceiling, the chipped cracked bathroom sink, the damp mould in the shower, the frankly terrifying shower curtain and the bin from the local pound shop. Be kind to yourself, give this one a miss 'til the refurbishments ( note - the refurb, rather worryingly, seems to relate to only the outside of the hotel) are done. Don't bank on this place to make you feel like you've had a relaxing stay. You'll just feel a bit grubby. Spa is fine, pool is warm but small, steam rooms tiny but powerful. Free wifi access is limited to 24 hours ! Wouldn't stay again.

Tenterden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

We booked a four night stay at the St George from a deal in the national press, but not before checking Trip Advisor. At that time the reviews didn't seem that bad and the Shearings Group had only just taken it over with the promise that the hotel was being renovated. We thought some of the rooms would, by the time of our visit, have been refurbished and hoped we would get one of them. However, the day before we set off, I checked Trip Advisor again only to find the most recent reviews were quite dire, so we went with a feeling of doom and the phone number of the nearest Premier Lodge in case we needed to decamp!

We were pleasantly surprised. Although no internal renovations were evident (scaffolding is still in place outside the building and it appears the windows are still being painted), the large foyer wasn't that bad. Yes the decor is very dated but not too shabby and our room, although very tired, did not have peeling wallpaper nor mould in the bathroom as reported by previous reviewers. The room was clean and there was plenty of hot water.. On the down side though, the ancient plumbing gurgled all night, the floorboards creaked loudly when those in the room above us walked about and at 4.30 a.m. on two mornings there was an extremely noisy dustcart right outside our window. I can't say we slept well at all any night.

The staff were friendly and very helpful and breakfast was excellent. The deal we had booked included dinner which was ok but being vegetarian I was disappointed with only one choice each evening - one of which was repeated and all of which I did not enjoy. However my husband enjoyed all his meals. The dining room, as everywhere, was tired and dated but the tables were quite elegant with crisp white tablecloths and napkins - spoiled by a plastic flower decoration.

We feel, however, we had excellent value for money - we only paid £140 each for four nights' bed, breakfast and dinner (which for a city break was a bargain no matter what state the decor) and our stay was helped by lovely spring weather.

Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Stupidly I saw reviews on here after booking so we were at least forewarned but it really is currently an awful hotel. It is being refurbished - this was my major point to management - had they told us this we would not have booked. The rooms are very shabby - wallpaper peeling off walls, baths that look dirty from being old (I think the cleaners did the best they could), big cracks in ceilings, chairs in rooms with big threads hanging off. Please don't go. I complained straight away and they showed us another room which was, to be honest, about the same. We then went into town and came back and asked to see the Duty Manager, she wasn't great. She showed us yet another room, which again, wasn't much better - I don't think any are. They just kept saying that is why we are refurbishing - I kept saying you should have told us before we arrived, we felt let down and cheated. They said the price reflects it - I said the price is comparable to other 3* in the area, so no, it doesn't!! I made the point that currently it is not a 3 star - 2 if they are lucky. It might be great after refurbishment but it is nowhere near a 3 star now. It's only good feature is it's location - very near the town but there are loads and loads of other options nearby and I would highly recommend trying somewhere else. We did actually leave and went to The Bijou, just up the road - fab little 5* B&B - see my review of that - we were SO pleased we did - it meant we enjoyed Harrogate.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The St George Hotel? Share your experiences!