I stayed here for a three-day conference.
My room (240) was a nice size, with a large double bed, a desk, two armchairs and space to move around. It had a large window looking towards the back, and was quiet. The bathroom was small but adequate and the shower was powerful. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a good location, easy walking distance to all the fine cafés, pubs, and restaurants of central Harrogate . It is also a ten-minute walk to "The Hydro" swimming pool. I found a good running route along a cycle path to the Nydd Viaduct.
The hotel is a traditional Victorian hotel. There are splendid downstairs areas, traditional old fashioned carpets, polished wood etc, and a charming cranky lift.
Here are the problems.
(1) The Wifi cost £10 for 24 hours. There was 30 min free per 24 hours. This worked fine but was only available on the Ground Floor. I was told they are working on this - but if continuous access to WiFi is important to your visit, check before you book. I did not use the £10 WiFi, so I don't know how strong the signal was.
(2) My room overlooked a piece of garden and a lot of kitchen/service rooms. As a result, I was greeted with the aroma of roast beef one day, and frying bacon another day. This was OK, but some might find it too much. Fortunately, perhaps, I was out of the room much of the day. In the night time, there was no smell. I should add this was high summer, and I had the window open.
(3) Breakfast is served in a ballroom-type room with no windows. The bread is sliced supermarket bread. This is a pity as there are excellent bakers nearby. I went out and bought myself a selection of proper bread rolls. My breakfast was included, but if it had not been, I would have taken it in one of the local cafés. The coffee was also not up to modern standards. There was fruit, which was good, and yogurt that was excellent. No background music in the breakfast room, which was a plus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating back to 1840, The Old Swan Hotel is one of Harrogate's oldest & most cherished hotels; its Victorian splendour and traditional elegance is complimented today by a modern & contemporary environment.The hotel boasts 136 stylish bedrooms and ten suites(Some featuring four-poster beds and roll-top baths),a restaurant and bar, nine conferences suites,free Wi-Fi access and car parking spaces.The hotel is in the centre of Harrogate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Old Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Swan Harrogate
- Hotel Old Swan
- Old Swan Hotel Harrogate, Yorkshire