“Not up to Expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queen Building | Park Parade, Off Knaresborough Road, Harrogate HG1 5AH, England (Formerly BEST WESTERN Cedar Court Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
West midlands
“Not up to Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Having read the numerous excellent reviews fro The Best Western Harrogate,I and my partner were looking forward to a really good stay.

I had booked 2 nights stay in a Executive Room on a B and B basis as a surprise for my Partner as it was his birthday on 24th August.

On arrival (Yes we managed to find the hotel with Sat Nav, albeit the rear car park) we were warmly greeted at reception, we were asked if we wanted to book into the Brassiere Restaurant for which we declined for our 1st night (Monday 23rd Aug) as we decided to have a "Bar Meal", which I should add was very good and the 12" Pizza is very good value for money. I then mentioned that I had been in conversation via Email with the Sales Manager and I had received a Email confirming that a table had been booked for the evening of 24th Aug, The young lady at reception checked the book and no entry of this had been made, Oh dear, here we go I thought.

We were asked if we would like a hand with our bags to which we declined and made our way up to our room on the 1st floor. On entering what I expected to be a "Executive" room, I was disappointed at the sixe of it, I have stayed in larger rooms at Travelodge. The room did over look the green, but that said their was a funfair on site, but luckily no noise disturbed us.

The room, did not have a wardrobe as such, it had a rail with a few hangers and a curtain you could pull across. To be honest it would have been difficult to swing a cat in this room.

The bathroom was OK, but that said the bath was small, Ok if you are under aft 3" but anything over that you could not lay in the bath. No toilet roll as such, it had 1 of those dispensers where you have to pull the sheets out, and they kept tearing so bits all over the floor.

The bed was comfortable, but as previously mentioned the wallpaper could do with replacing.

During our 1st night of Monday 23rd Aug, their was al to of room doors being shut rather loudly, and we were disturbed at approx 05.15 on Tuesday morning by someone closing a room door very close to ours. On the night of Tuesday 24th we could even hear someone snoring in the room adjacent to ours.

Breakfast was Buffet, and when pouring a glass of orange juice, I was disturbed to see hairs on the plate!!! I mentioned this to a member of staff, who did remove it and did say sorry.

on Tuesday 24th Aug, we ate in The Brassiere Restaurant at the front of the hotel, the service was OK, but we had a wobbly table and another couple who had ordered their starters after us, had theirs 1st. The main meals were ok, very small portions for the price, so beware.

We had a newspaper delivered to our room on the morning of our departure Wed 25th Aug, only to find that although we were told when we checked in that it was complimentary they had charged us £0.65 (0.50p for the paper and a .0.15p delivery charge)

On checking out we were asked by the young lady if everything was ok with urn stay, although we said it was, I will be writing a letter of complaint to the hotel.

All in all, we are very disappointed with our stay/experience of BW Harrogate, do not feel that I would want to return and do not feel that i could recommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend break in Harrogate staying at this hotel.

Food,
Breakfast was very much like other hotels of this standard with a self service system.

All the usual breakast items available from fruit through to bacon and eggs. All were presented in a reasonable fashion and well cooked. They could do with another toast machine as queues often formed at the toaster

Dinner. I was told they had a new chef. If Great Western management read this make sure you keep him.
The dinners were excellent. Cooked to perfection and served in immaginative ways.

Dinning room staff were polite efficient and curtious.

One thing I like in a hotel is lashings of hot water and this hotel did not dissapoint.
Bedroom was clean albeit in need of new wallpaper.
Maid service was excellent.
Lots of car parking spaces the car park having cctv coverage.

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We paid rack rate (£130+) for which we received a very poor quality room and uncaring service from the staff. The room was noisy - we could hear our neighbour loudly snoring; the breakfast was amongst the worst we have ever eaten; and we didn't even get a response to our critique/questionnaire which we were invited to complete. Sorry, but Best Western score 'nil' for customer care.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Booked this hotel through Best Western's website for a spur of the moment overnight stay, with only a week's notice, but managed to get a rate of £80 - impressive considering the hotel's central location, standard, and the fact that it was for a Friday night during the school holidays!

Despite booking remotely the hotel posted me a credit card receipt and booking confirmation, which I don't think we've ever had before - which suggested that this place care about service.

Despite arriving quite late on a Friday night, we were pleased to find a car park with plenty of spaces; I think our only grouch about the whole weekend, and it's only a tiny one, is that the route we found into the car park - which looked like an obvious way in - had signs saying "no entry" (which, in the darkness, we only saw as we were on our way in!), but we didn't see any signage to say where the car park entrance actually was.

Receptionist was superbly friendly and efficient, and the interior of the hotel is very impressive indeed! We were happy to be given a room at the end of a corridor (for peace and quiet), and blown away when we got into it, to find it was actually a suite - with its own little entrance hall, small living room (sofa, flat screen TV and writing desk), and huge bedroom - massive sash windows, double bed, writing desk, armchairs and small table, and another flat screen TV - and a small but gorgeous bathroom! Initially the bed felt a bit firm, but we both slept really well - no discomfort at all!

Checkout was smooth, quick and efficient despite a lot going on there the following morning, and yet again from Best Western my newspaper was complimentary in return for being a member of their loyalty scheme.

Beautiful hotel with friendly staff, lovely grounds overlooking parkland - and despite the relative proximity to the busy York Road, there was very little traffic noise. If you were up for a walk I'm guessing it's only about 10-15 minutes' walk to the centre of Harrogate, but if you wanted to drive there's a good amount of car parks and roadside pay and display parking.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and we'd definitely stay there again - another Best Western gem!

Washington UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed at the Cedar Court on a business trip as a solo traveller. The hotel is in a good location although I arrived right on rush hour and the traffic was really busy. The postcode does not give you a very accurate location on sat nav and I had to drive around a bit until I found the hotel. Reception was friendly and efficient and I was allocated a ground floor room with an unimpressive view to the rear of the hotel. The room appeared well appointed on first impression but closer inspection revealed peeling wallpaper behind the flat screen tv and general wear and tear. I was only staying the one night however and the room was more than adequate. I needed internet access and a quick call to reception gave me the security code for the hotel wi-fi which worked perfectly. I had booked a table in the hotel's Brasserie Restaurant and found the food and service to be excellent which is more than I can say for the breakfast the next morning. I was on a fairly tight schedule and although the breakfast is buffet style I waited an age for someone to bring me a pot of coffee to the point where I nearly got up and left without. That said I would say that the pros outweighed the cons with this hotel and I would probably stay there again if I had business in Harrogate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Harrogate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This is not a residential revenue, but a thank you for the presentation service and standard that the Cedar Court Hotel provided for our Social Event. Nothing was to much bother to them, the hotel give us an excellent day by way of the meal and the venue. And at a hard to believe cost considering that this is in Harrogate. The feed back from the 90 friends who attended has been amazing. Well done cedar Court, well done Chef and all the staff, Our Organisation will definitely use you again.

• Stayed August 2010
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I recently stayed at the Cedar Court Hotel for a weekend break with my partner. We had never visited the hotel before and had only been to Harrogate a few times before for day trips. On our way we got lost and rang the hotel for directions, they were so helpful and soon had us on the right road, so we arrived calm and in plenty of time.
The service continued to be excellent with friendly staff and although the hotel was busy with a wedding the staff continued to be attentive and we felt very welcomed.
All in all it was a most enjoyable stay and we have already made plans to come again to Harrogate and stay at the Cedar Court.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel? Share your experiences!