“Excellent Across The Board” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queen Building | Park Parade, Off Knaresborough Road, Harrogate HG1 5AH, England (Formerly BEST WESTERN Cedar Court Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Leeds
“Excellent Across The Board”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

After staying at this hotel for a couple of weeks for a training course in the area I have found the hotel to be excellent. The staff are brilliant; all very friendly and helpful with nothing being too much trouble. Special mention should be made for Susan who always has a smile and is always helpful.

The rooms I've been in have all been spotlessly clean and are well equipped with all the amenities you should need.

The food in the restaurant is excellent, never had a bad meal. The same applies to the bar food, always hot and tasty and again the same applies to the breakfast.

Overall I've found it to be a great hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms at the very top floor (e.g. 416) can be a bit chilly in the depths of winter due t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

A hotel of this price range, it falls far short of the standards expected. Rooms have motion sensor heaters which are woefully inadequate. Reception staff have been excellent, but unfortunately this is where quality service ends. The food both at the bar and in room service is of a very poor standard with matching service. Choice is very limited and overpriced as better food and choice can be found in most public houses.

I have stayed for a four week period and without hesitation would not stay here again. A very nice building in a fantastic location repeatedly let down by very poor service.

• Stayed February 2013
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for one night using a groupon voucher. Our room was comfortable and the public rooms were well set out. It had a fitness room, but in my opinion a hotel in this type of location would benefit more from a leisure centre. We ate in Harrogate itself during the evening as we were particularly wanting a predominately fish meal. However we very much liked the buffet breakfast the next morning the choices were varied and the quality, particularly of the cooked food was excellent for a buffet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Scunthorpe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel looks very grand from the outside and on our arrival the receptionist was very polite and helpful. Our room overlooked The Stray which was very nice, the room was clean but dated so could do with a makeover. We went down for breakfast and wow the room was very grand, the food was faultless but you could of heard a pin drop.
All in all our experience of the hotel was spot on and I'd certainly use again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

It looked so promising reading previous reviews and photos,but it left us disappointed. Good location only 10 minutes walk from the centre of Harrogate. The building looks impressive from the front and inside is functional. The reception staff are exceptional and very helpful.

As the dining "area" is a partitioned section to the left of the entrance, we felt like we were having dinner in the foyer. The food was disappointing - not what we would expect of four stars and then to top it all, the bar had run out of beer. The barman's excuse was he does not have the room to store kegs of ale so has to wait for them to run out before ordering more! Really?! And this was a Friday night! Again this is not what a normal four star hotel would allow to happen. Needless to say we left and found a lovely pub a few minutes walk round the corner called the Swan on the Stray.

The room was clean and adequate but the beds were so squeaky that if one of us moved then we were both woken up, but it was too late at night to do anything about it. The plastic hospitality shelf holding the tea, coffee and cups was very tacky - more what you'd see at a 2 star B&B.

Breakfast was served in their main function room which was lovely and sunny, but unfortunately the sun was shining on the pastries and muffins which were so dry you couldn't eat them. The conveyor style toaster was a pain as you had to feed the bread through twice or even three times to get proper toast (and there is a sign telling guests not to adjust the controls) so our tip would be to make sure you make your toast before getting your hot food or it will be stone cold. The selection of food overall was very good but some of the "hot" food was actually just luke warm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My colleague and I spent a week at cedar court hotel. We had our rooms paid for by our company, of which I am glad otherwise I would have asked for a refund. I think the max I would pay now knowing the quality of the food and rooms would be £40 per night.
Although the Building is magnificent with a grand entrance and dining rooms, then venture upstairs and find a very disappointing yellow brick lined walls, ripped quilt covers and dated furniture.

I agree with JoeM83 regarding the main occupants being 20 BT engineers, I think if it wasn't for the large group, by the way looking as if every single engineer had a van each in the car park, the hotel would be in trouble.

I did however have to admit I had a scary experience that happened on three consecutive occasions at the same time every morning. I did ask to change rooms of which was granted. The front of house and cleaning staff couldn't do enough for you but the waitressing and catering staff lacked attention to detail for the price... don't get me started on the food.. My advice is there are plenty of restaurants a few minutes away with better tasting fresh HOT cooked food.

Now for the scary bit....
I would like to revisit this hotel (not for the food) but for the ghostly experience! yes thats what I said....Around 4:11am on 3 mornings I was awoken with the feeling of someone pulling the quilt off my bed, the feeling of my arms restrained, the feeling that someone was in the same room, the feeling that I had been given a needle in the arm, leg and hand.. OK your now saying that this guy is making it up or crazy...All I can say is I don't believe in the supernatural but what I experienced unnerved me to the point I packed my bags and moved rooms. especially when the staff informed me the hotel used to be a hospital, and was haunted! I was so intrigued I took a video sweep of the room with my iPhone which shows some really surprising images. I did the same with the new room and found nothing....go figure?

As i said I would think the same if someone had told me this adventure but all I can say is if you don't mind paying the price try it out.
It's the first time I've stayed in Harrogate so I can't compare hotels but the area is beautiful with very expensive buildings and friendly people.

To sum it all up, it was an experience that was fun but felt let down by the cold ready meal style hotel food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Start well with a warm welcome from the lady on reception followed by our room been ready very early. Cannot complain about the room very clean and spacious,the only small complaint was the walls are abit thin when people have the tv's on loud at all hours. Food was great from the resturant to the bar area and a great breakfast. Staff were very good. Great location ten minutes on foot from town. All in all a enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Cedar Court Hotel? Share your experiences!