“A good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Good location. The outside and the entrance parts look very grand as do the dining halls and the breakfast room. The rooms were comfortable and clean but were quite basic and you felt like they had lost their special something a little bit. It was very warm so we asked for a fan. Breakfast was very good plenty of choice. The bar is cosy.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Lottelli
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your bedroom clean, the bar cosy and you enjoyed the breakfast.
Although the hotel does not have air conditioning we are more than happy to supply a fan if the weather is warm. We are looking to refurbish the bedrooms in the near future so should you return to the Crown I hope you will find they have that "special something" that you feel is missing at the moment.
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Leeds England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was taking a friend who is temporarily disabled to a birthday party at this hotel which is in the centre of Harrogate. I rang ahead and they promised to save a disabled bay for us even though we don't have a blue sticker. When I got there the bay was reserved with my name on it-well done indeed. It can be very awkward for elderly people who may have a temporary impairment to get out and about and this gesture made my friend's day-thank you Angela for following through with your customer service.

Room Tip: Didn't stay -just visited for a lunch party
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear thompson2travel
Thank you for taking time to write a review and for your kind comments about Angela, one of the reception team, which I have passed to her as well to as her manager.
We don't as a rule reserve car parking spaces but if the disabled bay isn't being used and we know that one of our guests may stuggle to walk very far then we are only too happy to arrange a spot to park. I am so pleased that your friend was delighted and I hope that you enjoyed the birthday party.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Ok the good points - lovely location, very clean and good breakfast.

Unfortunately though the bed was so uncomfortable we hardly got any sleep - on checking out I told the guest relations manager who informed me they were replacing the beds soon but at least I had a good view of the square from my room!! Our room was also incredibly hot and the windows would not open more than an inch and no air con. Was offered no apology. Very disappointing. Even an incredibly basic hotel should offer you a bed you can actually sleep in - it's not too much to ask is it?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear J M
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy aspects of your stay at the hotel.
We are planning to refurbish the bedrooms later this year and we have indeed already ordered some new beds and are awaiting their delivery. Whilst I acknowledge that some people find the beds too soft and uncomfortable, others do enjoy a good night's sleep here on the same type of mattress so it is probably a matter of personal preference.
There are only a few rooms that look out over the front of the hotel, whilst the rest of the rooms have either an internal view or a view over the back of the hotel and it is a matter of availability as to the allocation of rooms and the subsequent view.
The windows in the bedrooms do open however we do not have air conditioning and it is clear from the booking websites that this amenity is not offered. The hotel is a listed building and permission to install air condioning would be difficult to obtain as well as extremely costly for the few weeks a year of warm weather we might experience, however fans are available on request from reception.
I am pleased that you noted the cleanliness of your room and enjoyed the breakfast and have passed your comments to the relevant managers.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We're staying here for 4 nights and there has been little things that hasn't been great but nothing to write about.

I've was so disappointed this morning when I asked where I could park. Instead of saying that there might be a space in the back they told be to go to the multi-storey car park, when I asked for a change I felt like it was a hassle.

I did find a parking space in the back and I went in to reception to get the permit and explained that it would have been nice if I was told about the rear car park and I was ignored, instead of acknowledging me the receptionist asked for my room number. I said the same again and nothing. I therefore asked for the manager and although she apologised she seemed like she just wanted me to leave.

I stayed in lots of hotels throughout the years and never been ignored before.

Definitely won't be staying here again.

Stayed July 2014
Dear thessan_andersson
Thank you for taking time during your stay to write a review and I am sorry that you felt the reception team were rude to you, as this is not the standard expected from our staff. The reason they will not have mentioned the rear car park to you is that as all staff use a back entrance to enter the hotel, they will have seen the car park and noted whether it was full or not, as indeed it was that morning. As not many guests were leaving that morning it would make sense to them to advise you as to the nearest public car park rather than tell you to try the rear car park which they knew to be full. I am however sorry that you were ignored and I know that your comments were passed to the Reception Manager, and she has dealt with the issues raised.
I am sorry that you won't be staying with us again.
Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stay In harrogate on a regular basis on the 8th of July we thought we would give the crown hotel a try, what a pleasant surprise the staff were pleasant and courteous take not old swan the bedrooms were spotless and comfortable the breakfast was excellent, the location is second to none for Central harrogate the only drawback is the lack of parking but this in no way detracts from this being a excellent hotel.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Houston2807
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Crown. I am also very pleased that you found the staff pleasant and your room clean. I have passed on your comments to the relevant managers who were also pleased that you liked the hotel.
The limited parking may be an issue for some guests, however what we do have is free and there is plenty of on-street parking near the hotel which the reception team are more than happy to direct people to.
I do hope that now you have found us, you will reurn to the Crown when you next visit Harrogate.
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I paid in advance direct with the hotel and received a great deal on two rooms for three of us. I had booked a small double and it was everything I required.
The bed was comfortable, bathroom well appointed.
Breakfast buffet provided plenty of options and all the staff were helpful and pleasant.
Hotel is in a great location, only negative was the limited amout of parking spaces.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear shanghai_sam
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The small double rooms we have are very popular with guests who are travelling on their own and who prefer a double bed as opposed to a single, and I am happy that you found the bed comfortable.
The parking at the hotel is, I'm afraid, limited however unlike other hotels in the town it is free and on a first come first served basis. There is also plenty of on-street parking nearby which the reception team are only too happy to direct guests to.
I hope that should you visit Harrogate in the future, you come and stay with us again if only to sample the hearty breakfasts we serve.
Guildford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

If this hotel has had a major refurbishment I would be interested to know where the money has been spent as it is far from apparent. Decor is outdated and tired and really not
of the standard one expects in this day and age. Beds very uncomfortable and room ventilation poor. A real shame as this building could be phenomenal with a good standard of refurbishment. If a central location is your absolute top priority consider it, otherwise save fifty quid and stay at a premier inn.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Ohbe73
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry that you found the hotel tired and dated.
The Crown was last refurbished 8 years ago and I believe the bedrooms have stood up well to the demands of the thousands of guests who have stayed in them, however we are looking to update and refresh these rooms later on this year and indeed new beds are already on order.
The Crown is in a prime location close to both the shopping areas as well as the visitor attractions that Harrogate is famous for, and once the bedroom refurbishment has been completed I am confident that the hotel will be more than "decidedly average".
Guest Services Manager

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!